Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2019, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #4861
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice. I find the old kit lens pairs nicely with the K10D.
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Oh yeah, that is definitely a K10D shot! Beautiful colours and saturation from the good old kit lens. Great combo, Racer.
Thanks guys!

09-16-2019, 08:36 PM - 6 Likes   #4862
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Auburn Speedster at the Coppell TX carshow last September. DA16-45/4 on K10D:
09-17-2019, 02:28 AM - 2 Likes   #4863
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
US287 between Fort Collins, Colorado and Laramie, Wyoming, probably still in Colorado.

K10D, SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR
Perfect shot. Looks like it belongs in Arizona Highways or one of the AAA state magazines!
09-17-2019, 07:47 AM - 7 Likes   #4864
Veteran Member

Some late summer shots taken during plant surveys (all with F 35-70mm):

Viper's Bugloss in the parking lot

Bottle Gentian in full bloom

Mantid on Sneezeweed

I picked up this K10D a few months ago and have really enjoyed it (aside from some weird AF behavior), definitely deserving of its modern classic reputation. 7k beautifully-rendered shots so far! However I have recently been seduced by the GXR, as the A12 50mm module (true specs 33mm f2.5 macro) is so very similar to the DA 35 ltd I've been pining for, and the S10 module is an upgraded version of the GX100 I loved so much and mirrors the LX3 I still use alongside the K10D. If it works out, look for another bargain-price K10D (and LX3, also an oldie but still goodie) to hit the marketplace, but this camera will always have a special place in my heart.

09-17-2019, 05:34 PM   #4865
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Perfect shot. Looks like it belongs in Arizona Highways or one of the AAA state magazines!
Thank you for the comment Ivan!

It makes the viewer wonder what is around the next bend, eh?
09-17-2019, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #4866
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Thank you for the comment Ivan!

It makes the viewer wonder what is around the next bend, eh?
Yep, amazing what the K-10 and kit lens is capable of! I need to brush the dust off my K-10 with its broken screw drive and try some manual focus exercises with it.
09-19-2019, 01:47 AM - 8 Likes   #4867
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Barn Hill Mob in conference at Windy Post. Probably plotting how to escape the upcoming "drift" next month, when they'll be rounded up to be counted and in some cases sent off to market. It's always a bittersweet time of the year when autumn comes and suddenly there are far fewer ponies around, but it is what it is.

09-21-2019, 08:47 AM - 5 Likes   #4868
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

A not very good series I shot of a base jumper hurling himself off of the Perrine Memorial Bridge, over the Snake River at Twin Falls, Idaho. I was driving across the bridge and saw some people getting ready to jump, so I pulled off just past the bridge and grabbed my camera and ran to the viewpoint to watch and get a few quick snaps.

That white stuff is snow. It was February when I passed through there.

Pentax K10D, SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR

09-21-2019, 03:38 PM - 2 Likes   #4869
Pentaxian

Great pictures in this page, my friends!

So, by fiddling around at home, since my K10D is at work, I arrived at what I would call a "K10D Setting" from the standard JPEG engine. Yup, I use the Jpeg engine a lot with my CMOS cameras because when I'm out with the family, the wife wants the jpegs ready for social media immediately. So it's either RAW+ or just JPEG (and I'll save as RAW if I have a picture I think needs post processing). Since those are mostly family snapshots, I'm usually happy.

I have only done a lot of testing at home so far, but it's looking really promising... I know a lot of you have CMOS cameras (Paul has a K-5, Ray a K-3, Dartmoor Dave has a K-S1 like me). This setup worked well in both the K-S1 and K-50. It's important to try with all the parameters because if one of them is not set up right, it won't work (I tried for example to leave the highkey/lowkey setting 0, or add some contrast - nope, it made it not work anymore). The only setting that - obviously - we can mess with and not affect the results in terms of rendering is the sharpness. You could also leave the contrast at 0 but in my experience the jpegs will lack punch.

So here it is...

Select Natural setting
Saturation = 0
Hue = +4 (yup all the way to the right)
High/Low Key = +1
Contrast = +1
Fine Sharpness = +1

I developed this with the Sigma 30 1.4 and tested with the SMC-F 50 1.4 and SMC DA 16-45 f4.

The caveat is that as the ISO climbs, it starts looking more like the K10D at higher ISOs - a bit yellowish. Same thing with artificial light, it will hold on to more yellows. I'm convinced that that on the color side, the K10D has a higher hue which is the reason why the reds, yellows, oranges and browns look more pleasing to the eye - at base ISO. Other than that - I think the CCD also is able to "see" more into darker areas, which the Hey/Low Key +1 emulates. And it naturally captures more contrast. Of course, when it comes to how the CCD handles luminance, and color transitions, there's no jpeg engine that can emulate, I think... so this exercise can only go so far. And again, it won't quite capture the way the CCD does but at base ISO it does look good, I think.

If anyone tries these settings, let me know if I'm on the right track...
09-21-2019, 03:49 PM   #4870
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
The Barn Hill Mob in conference at Windy Post. Probably plotting how to escape the upcoming "drift" next month, when they'll be rounded up to be counted and in some cases sent off to market. It's always a bittersweet time of the year when autumn comes and suddenly there are far fewer ponies around, but it is what it is.

THank you, Dave, for a pony photo after so long. I was in pony withdrawal. That feels a lot better.
09-22-2019, 02:52 AM - 5 Likes   #4871
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So, by fiddling around at home, since my K10D is at work, I arrived at what I would call a "K10D Setting" from the standard JPEG engine. Yup, I use the Jpeg engine a lot with my CMOS cameras because when I'm out with the family, the wife wants the jpegs ready for social media immediately. So it's either RAW+ or just JPEG (and I'll save as RAW if I have a picture I think needs post processing). Since those are mostly family snapshots, I'm usually happy.
Thanks for those settings, I'll give them a try next time I use the K-S1. I sometimes use it in straight jpeg mode when I'm shooting something for my charity that needs to go online immediately, so it would be great to have some settings that make the out-of-the-camera results look better.

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
THank you, Dave, for a pony photo after so long. I was in pony withdrawal. That feels a lot better.
Thanks Ray. It's been a hectic summer without much time to get out on the moor -- I've only been managing one or two quick walks a week rather than the usual daily constitutional that I try to fit in. Hopefully things will settle down again now that autumn has come in this hemisphere.

Here's another one with no ponies. I had the rare opportunity of going up to the top of the 14th Century tower of St Eustachius Church in Tavistock yesterday, so of course I jumped at it (but not off it). It's a 13 vertical shot stitch with the Takumar 17mm, defished of course and perspective corrected using PT Lens. It's over a 180 degree view, far wider than you could take in with your own eyes in one go, which is why there's a geometrically impossible bend in the parapet.

Same church as in this shot from this spring:

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 09-22-2019 at 02:57 AM.
09-22-2019, 03:05 AM - 3 Likes   #4872
Veteran Member

Buster getting a brush
IMGP0558 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/134520424@N02/]
IMGP0541 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/134520424@N02/]
09-23-2019, 12:09 PM - 3 Likes   #4873
Pentaxian

I have been shooting nothing but manual focus lenses on the K10D for the longest time because I knew the AF was off, and I have been procrastinating on fixing it...

...but I finally did, with the DA 35 2.4. Hopefully it's close enough for the Sigma 30 1.4 which I'll use at some point but now is at home (I keep the K10D at work). The K10D required +230 AF adjustment (out of a possible +270!). But at least it was still fixable...

So I went outside and took some test shots.

Yup, it's focusing good I do find that it hesitates a lot on focusing though, even with the DA 35 2.4 which is relatively bright and contrasty, so I think I should find out how to clean the mirror.
09-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #4874
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I have been shooting nothing but manual focus lenses on the K10D for the longest time because I knew the AF was off, and I have been procrastinating on fixing it...

...but I finally did, with the DA 35 2.4. Hopefully it's close enough for the Sigma 30 1.4 which I'll use at some point but now is at home (I keep the K10D at work). The K10D required +230 AF adjustment (out of a possible +270!). But at least it was still fixable...

So I went outside and took some test shots.

Yup, it's focusing good I do find that it hesitates a lot on focusing though, even with the DA 35 2.4 which is relatively bright and contrasty, so I think I should find out how to clean the mirror.
Nice shots. I have same problem with the K-10, auto-focus no longer working. It would be cheaper to buy another copy than to fix the AF, so I have just delegated it to non-AF lens of the Takumar M42 variety. We will see how that works out.
09-23-2019, 12:22 PM   #4875
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Nice shots. I have same problem with the K-10, auto-focus no longer working. It would be cheaper to buy another copy than to fix the AF, so I have just delegated it to non-AF lens of the Takumar M42 variety. We will see how that works out.
Well, my AF *is* working. Now that I had to use the whole setup menu by creating the file on the SD card and turning on with the battery cover open ordeal, I was able to fix it. It took a while and +230 to fix! I'm now left with a hesitant AF. When I got the camera a couple of years ago it was a bit dirrty and needed lots of cleaning, but I have not done anything inside the mirror box yet. I see LOTS of dust in the viewfinder... probably not in the mirror itself but maybe I can clean up some at least.

Fully working K10Ds are about 100 bucks these days so just get yourself another one if you want AF - or get a K200D, or a K-m.