Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #4966
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
The limited dynamic range of the K10 is actually an advantage in this type of shot, adding contrast to the scene
Yes, I just have to be careful with those black blobs getting too black or blotchy! Shooting RAW with the K10D helps enormously with these low light scenes.

10-14-2019, 09:21 PM - 6 Likes   #4967
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

'51 Chevy seen at Harbor Village, Ventura Calif. DA18-135 on K10D:
10-15-2019, 01:57 AM - 9 Likes   #4968
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RussV Quote
The limited dynamic range of the K10 is actually an advantage in this type of shot, adding contrast to the scene.
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Yes, I just have to be careful with those black blobs getting too black or blotchy! Shooting RAW with the K10D helps enormously with these low light scenes.

I agree with Russ that your shot looks great with exactly the dynamic range it's got, Paul.

Speaking of dynamic range in general, I think the K10D sensor has really got at least a stop more range than the embedded raw profile makes it seem. The embedded profile applies quite a contrasty tone curve, and you can easily get a stop more out of the sensor just by switching to a linear tone curve if your raw processor allows it.

I always make two versions of my custom profiles, one with the standard tone curve that Adobe Profile Editor applies when it's creating the profile from the test card, and another with the linear tone curve option that the editor also lets you select. With the linear profile that I'm currently using when I need to, I can easily get two more stops of dynamic range than the embedded profile would manage. The B&W shot a couple of pages back is a good example -- it was only possible to do it from a single frame by using a linear tone curve, then bringing the contrast back up to where I wanted it to be in Silver Efex.

Here's a snap from July that I finally got around to processing. Lydford Church with the Takumar 17mm, defished and using a profile with the standard tone curve.

10-15-2019, 03:50 PM - 8 Likes   #4969
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Dave, and another gorgeous image from you. I've been using RawTherapee with the AMAZE presets and I'm fairly happy with them. They do allow a few tones curves out of the box, and I usually opt for "film-like", although I'm tempted to play around and create some custom ones of my own.

DA18-135 on K10D (jpeg from camera):

10-15-2019, 05:39 PM - 9 Likes   #4970
Veteran Member

I still love my K10D!!
I actually picked it up recently, and the colors really do shine
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
10-16-2019, 01:24 AM   #4971
Pentaxian

DA18-135 on K10D (jpeg from camera):

Beautiful light there, Paul, captured with a nice moody feel to it.

Is it the default jpeg settings, or did you do anything special? I've been playing around with jpegs lately because the subject keeps coming up all over the forum, but so far I haven't found any combination of settings to wean me off my reliance on custom raw profiles. Which is kind of a shame, because to be honest I'm bored of spending time raw processing and I'd really like to go back to a more slide film like approach. It's a shame that DSLRs don't allow us to upload our own custom .dcp or ICC profiles to get the rendering we really want straight out of the camera.
10-16-2019, 04:57 AM - 2 Likes   #4972
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
It's a shame that DSLRs don't allow us to upload our own custom .dcp or ICC profiles to get the rendering we really want straight out of the camera.
You can get close. You can work with DCU5 to find the settings that you prefer. Since DCU5 mirrors most Pentax settings, you can then set your camera with those settings. BTW, you can also save your settings in DCU5 as "parameters" for future use if your camera does not mirror the same settings, though most post processing software has that feature.

10-16-2019, 05:01 AM   #4973
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
You can get close. You can work with DCU5 to find the settings that you prefer. Since DCU5 mirrors most Pentax settings, you can then set your camera with those settings. BTW, you can also save your settings in DCU5 as "parameters" for future use if your camera does not mirror the same settings, though most post processing software has that feature.

Thanks, that sounds worth trying. I've never actually used DCU but I've still got the setup disc around here somewhere, so I'll give it a go.
10-16-2019, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #4974
Pentaxian

I'll use RAW with the K10D 99.9% of the time, and I'll play with JPEG on the K-50 and K-S1 quite a bit more. Lots of reason for it... the K10D files being smaller are much easier to work on, the files also seem to take PP so well, and then there's the fact that the output of the K10D is so good that I want to have every little bit of it at my disposal...
10-16-2019, 09:26 AM - 7 Likes   #4975
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I. M. Pei pyramid at the Louvre at night in 2009. K-10D and FA 28-80mm with an ISO of 800.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
10-16-2019, 11:46 AM - 6 Likes   #4976
Pentaxian

So on my lunch walk earlier this week I was doing some bokeh tests and just walking around with the K 50 1.2... didn't even realize I got this until I opened up the files today:

I guess the K 50 1.2 is a special lens after all... can't see how I would have gotten something this nice during not-so-great noon light if I were using any of my other lenses...
10-16-2019, 11:48 AM - 4 Likes   #4977
Pentaxian

So, back to the RAW/Dynamic Range discussion... without shooting RAW and being able to play with the dynamic range that the K10D gives me, I would not have been able to make this shot at harsh noon light into anything useful:

Same with this one. Not great but it was salvageable

All done with K10D and K 50 1.2.
10-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #4978
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Beautiful light there, Paul, captured with a nice moody feel to it.

Is it the default jpeg settings, or did you do anything special?
Thanks Dave. No, nothing special, just a bit of tweaking of saturation and contrast. For jpegs, I usually set the camera to the "natural" or default tone curve, then make adjustments in post.
10-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #4979
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
'51 Chevy seen at Harbor Village, Ventura Calif. DA18-135 on K10D:
A 2 door post.

Don't see too many of those.
10-16-2019, 05:17 PM - 3 Likes   #4980
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I was picking up some tooling at the Boeing 787 factory in South Carolina when I shot this photo of the Guacamole Express and one of the Dreamlifter 747 airplanes.