Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2020, 10:02 PM - 5 Likes   #5611
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D, Super Tak 135/3.5, 1/100 sec, f5.6, ISO 200. A bit 3D? (X-posted to Takumar Club thread)

03-24-2020, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #5612
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
K10D, Super Tak 135/3.5, 1/100 sec, f5.6, ISO 200. A bit 3D? (X-posted to Takumar Club thread)
Definitely 3D. Gorgeous shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
It's always a pleasure to see your work in this thread. And it's always a reminder that I should visit the film threads more often. Especially since I've been shooting the darn stuff again lately.
I definitely need to go back there and visit the film threads (so there's more than one??) - and now that there might be ponies there it's on my have-to-do list.

QuoteQuote:
Guess there must have been a really cute lady tree nearby. . .
I thought my mind was the only one that went there but I guess it's just a guy thing
03-24-2020, 01:05 PM - 3 Likes   #5613
Veteran Member

Pentax K10D
SMC Pentax-F 28/2.8
03-24-2020, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #5614
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice work, Ray & Colton

Looking downstream at Santa Paula Creek, Calif. last November. DA18-135 on K10D:

03-24-2020, 01:21 PM   #5615
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice work, Ray & Colton
Thanks Paul.

Has anyone here used the K10D debug menu to adjust AF?
Do the AF adjustments stay in place once the Debug mode is turned off?
03-24-2020, 01:27 PM   #5616
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Yes, the settings stay in place. Keep in mind the camera can retain a single global adjustment. But if you're lucky, like I was, the setting can improve most or all AF lenses.

Last edited by paulh; 03-24-2020 at 01:51 PM.
03-24-2020, 01:33 PM   #5617
Veteran Member

Yes, the settings stay in place. Keep in mind the camera can retain a single adjustment - one lens only. But if you're lucky, like I was, the setting can improve most of all AF lenses.
Is it lens specific?
Or is it a global adjustment that apples to the body AF system regardless of lens?
I did it yesterday, and tried 3 different lenses afterwards, and it seems to me it works regardless of lens

03-24-2020, 01:50 PM   #5618
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or is it a global adjustment that apples to the body AF system regardless of lens?
I did it yesterday, and tried 3 different lenses afterwards, and it seems to me it works regardless of lens
Correct. That's what I meant to say originally, but didn't phrase it well!
03-24-2020, 01:55 PM   #5619
Veteran Member

Correct. That's what I meant to say originally, but didn't phrase it well!
Okay, awesome. Thanks
03-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #5620
Pentaxian

Thanks Paul.

Mine is currently at +270, so almost the limit... but yeah it's holding place. It's global, not lens specific.
03-24-2020, 05:17 PM - 2 Likes   #5621
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...and I'm glad you did! I wonder what other little-known tricks the K10D has up its sleeve?
There is a feature on many Pentax cameras (it could be on all but I am not sure) that is, as far as I know, unique to Pentax. Have you noticed the little aperture blades icon to the right of the ON word on the OFF/ON switch?
Do you use it? Do you know what it does? Well, it gives you a preview of your image along with a histogram so you can see what your image will look like and you get an idea of whether your image is under or over exposed.
Then it just goes away and is not recorded. Can anyone tell me if any other camera brand offers that feature? I know it is on my K10D and my K-3 but I'm not sure if it is universal on all Pentax DSLRs.
My photographic mates shoot Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Olympus and they were amazed when I showed to them.

On a separate subject: my wife was doing a cleanout yesterday and found one of these. I have no idea how old it is so I will keep it as an historical memory and store it with my old Spotmatics.

03-24-2020, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #5622
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a feature on many Pentax cameras (it could be on all but I am not sure) that is, as far as I know, unique to Pentax. Have you noticed the little aperture blades icon to the right of the ON word on the OFF/ON switch?

Do you use it? Do you know what it does? Well, it gives you a preview of your image along with a histogram so you can see what your image will look like and you get an idea of whether your image is under or over exposed.

Then it just goes away and is not recorded. Can anyone tell me if any other camera brand offers that feature? I know it is on my K10D and my K-3 but I'm not sure if it is universal on all Pentax DSLRs.

My photographic mates shoot Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Olympus and they were amazed when I showed to them.

On a separate subject: my wife was doing a cleanout yesterday and found one of these. I have no idea how old it is so I will keep it as an historical memory and store it with my old Spotmatics.

While the K2000 doesn't have a specific button, you can reprogram the Help (?) Button to do the same function.

03-25-2020, 02:07 AM - 3 Likes   #5623
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

You can set it to digital or optical preview in the menu and it looks like yours is set to digital preview, which is definitely a quicker way of checking the histogram than taking a shot and chimping. I've always kept mine on optical preview to stop down for checking depth of field in the viewfinder, but both ways are equally legitimate according to what suits your needs.

If you've got a film camera available (and I bet you've got several), you should really have a go at shooting that roll of film. Over the past year I've shot a couple of rolls of ten year expired Fuji Superia 400 just like yours that a friend gave me, and it's been great fun. In fact I've just finished another roll and sent it off to the lab, although of course under present circumstances I'm prepared for a long wait before it comes back. I've exposed the film at ISO 200 to compensate for the long expiry, and the results have been fine except for a magenta colour cast that's easy to fix on the computer. If the K10D Club will forgive some non CCD shots, here's a selection from last year all shot with the Zenitar 16mm and DSLR scanned with my K-S1:

Edit: Actually I've just remembered that the third one was shot with the SMC Takumar 28mm/3.5.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 03-25-2020 at 02:14 AM.
03-25-2020, 09:50 AM - 2 Likes   #5624
Veteran Member

Pentax K10D
SMC Pentax-F 28/2.8
03-25-2020, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #5625
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
If you've got a film camera available (and I bet you've got several), you should really have a go at shooting that roll of film.
I had not thought of doing that, Dave, but after seeing your shots I think that is a super idea. In our current house arrest conditions I need something challenging to keep the mind active so I will do it.
No, I no longer have several film cameras. I am now down to just two - my first SLR - an SP1000 - and my second SLR - a pawn shop purchased Spotmatic SP which has been completely rebuilt. For sentimental reasons I will never part with those two.

Thanks also for your tip re the ISO adjustment for age. I will adjust accordingly. I should end up with a few candidates for the Takumar thread.