Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #5656
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Sunrise this morning from my back door. K10D and DA 18-55mm WR.
I am glad that I took it while I could because 10 minutes later it was raining.

Superb, Ray!

03-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #5657
Veteran Member

Ray, you do not only master us with your knowledge of the K10d. You also have a keen eye for a good shot.
I enjoyed your sunrise very much. Dramatic shot.

PaulF
03-30-2020, 12:13 PM - 2 Likes   #5658
Veteran Member

Pentax K10D
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55 AL II
03-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #5659
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
The greens are right next to the tees to provide emotional succour; to soothe the wretched golfist's anguished soul as he contemplates the existential horror of triple-bogusing the hole. He sees that the next tee is right there standing ready beside the green, offering the hope and solace that he'll wield his golfing bats more skilfully at the next trial. Giving him the courage to stand tall again, to give his balls a wipe dry and club that birdie right down the next fairy way towards victory.

Since they've left some of the holes open while the club itself is officially closed, I'm thinking I might grab a couple of second hand cudgels off ebay and give it a try. Do you think a mashie and a niblick will be enough, or will I need a spoon as well?
Now THAT's an explanation. I am infinitely much more informed about the game of flog (as one of my mates calls it) than I was yesterday. I am indebted to you, Dave.

---------- Post added 31-03-20 at 08:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Superb, Ray!
Thank you, Paul.

---------- Post added 31-03-20 at 08:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Ray, you do not only master us with your knowledge of the K10d. You also have a keen eye for a good shot.
I enjoyed your sunrise very much. Dramatic shot.

PaulF
Many thanks, Paul, for your very kind words. That is high praise indeed and I appreciate it. This current self isolation is making good shots harder to come by. The K10D is at the ready.

03-31-2020, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #5660
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
03-31-2020, 09:36 AM   #5661
Veteran Member

Not bad Cartesio, I like it!
03-31-2020, 10:45 AM   #5662

New lens

Hello, I have pentax k10d camera with the 18-55mm kit lens, I really enjoy the autofocus part of that lens. Im kinda new to this whole thing and would appreciate lens recommendations form you guys. Im thinking of 50mm prime lens with low aperature(f1.2-f2) Im on budget, so lenses on lower budget would be perfect. Also, where are you guys buying the lenses? On ebay?

03-31-2020, 11:19 AM - 5 Likes   #5663
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ralph1 Quote
Hello, I have pentax k10d camera with the 18-55mm kit lens, I really enjoy the autofocus part of that lens. Im kinda new to this whole thing and would appreciate lens recommendations form you guys. Im thinking of 50mm prime lens with low aperature(f1.2-f2) Im on budget, so lenses on lower budget would be perfect. Also, where are you guys buying the lenses? On ebay?
The M 50mm/1.7 might do the job for you, if manual focus is okay.

Funnily enough, thanks to recent problems manual focusing because of my eyesight, I'm shooting everything with the 18-55mm at the moment. Here's one from today: The Pimple on Tavistock golf course, designed by Lutyens, although maybe not on one of his better days.

(Taken within walking distance of home complying with UK lockdown rules.)
03-31-2020, 11:48 AM - 5 Likes   #5664
Veteran Member

The 18-55 kit lens is a great little lens, although not very fast (aperture wise).As long as you have decent light, it will produce good results.
Here's a recently re-edited photo that I originally shot shortly after first buying my K10D, and this was with the older first version of the 18-55. The image was originally shot as a color jpeg. I cropped it slightly and converted to B&W in Ps.

Pentax K10D
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55 AL
03-31-2020, 12:33 PM   #5665
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As Dave and Colton showed, you can get great results with the 18-55. You might try experimenting with different focal lengths to see what your preferences are. A fast 50 is great for portraits, flower shots, and the fast aperture offers lots of opportunities to play with DOF (depth of field). The DA35/2.4 is an affordable quality AF prime if you need more of an all-purpose focal length.

I've purchased a few lenses on ebay, but I've had very good success here at the PF Marketplace.

I still use my DA18-55 quite a bit. These were taken at the Camarillo Airport a couple years ago (with the K10D of course!):

Last edited by paulh; 03-31-2020 at 12:52 PM.
03-31-2020, 02:40 PM   #5666
Veteran Member

Welcome here Ralph1

You will find yourself as a kid in a candy store. A large amount of excellent lenses for the K10d at friendly prices.
The 50/1,7 can be found around 35 $. That is of course a manual focus lens.
Do use the lens review section to help you select the lens that suits you best.

Evilbay but also local market sites are places to look for your choice.
The forum has a section where gear is offered by forum users. Worth a try.

Pentax offers great cameras that already earned their reputation.
The K10d is an excellent choice to start with.
Quite a few of us are not even tempted to upgrade. That is typical for K10d owners.

PaulF
03-31-2020, 04:23 PM   #5667
Pentaxian

Hi Ralph!

I see your comment about liking autofocus better, so my suggestions would be one of two Pentax lenses - the SMC DA 50mm f/1.8 and the SMC-F 50mm f/1.7. Out of those two I chose the SMC-F lens because I think it's a sharper lens at the widest aperture and I like the rendering of the 50mm f/1.7 lenses that Pentax has made. But the DA lens is a good lens as well. They can both be found used for about 80 dollars, sometimes even less.

But if your eyes are good, there's no reason to not have the little M 50 1.7 that people here already bragged about - for 35 dollars you can have a lot of fun even if you end up using it less than the autofocus versions...

They all match very well with the K10D!
03-31-2020, 06:35 PM - 9 Likes   #5668
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is one with the screw mount, manual focus, preset Macro-Takumar f4.0 50mm on my K10D. The positive side of this self isolating is that I am getting to use some of my old Takumar lenses. (X posted)

03-31-2020, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #5669
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
preset Macro-Takumar f4.0 50mm
Wow, that's a beauty, Ray!
03-31-2020, 07:43 PM   #5670
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote