Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2020, 01:31 AM   #5971
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Th
That sounds like a great idea, Dave. I would be more than happy to go along with that. I have learnt that camera brand is less important than the skills of the photographer. So, go for it. I am sure that Adam would not object.

Thanks Ray. My suggestion is that we give it until a week from today to allow all the K10D Club regulars to express their preference, then tot up the votes on Sunday 5 July.

Do you want to:

Stay as the K10D Club with no change.
Rename as: The 10 Megapixel Club (Formerly the K10D Club).
Rename as: The CCD Club (Formerly the K10D Club).

My own preference is for The CCD Club, with any photo from any CCD camera allowed. I think there are so few CCD shooters around now that it would be good to have a place where they could all gather. Sort of like the film thread, in which anything goes as long as it's shot on film.

And if there's any moderator watching: is it even possible to change the thread title after this long, or is it something that just technically can't be done?

06-28-2020, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #5972
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Thanks Ray. My suggestion is that we give it until a week from today to allow all the K10D Club regulars to express their preference, then tot up the votes on Sunday 5 July.

Do you want to:

My own preference is for The CCD Club, with any photo from any CCD camera allowed. I think there are so few CCD shooters around now that it would be good to have a place where they could all gather. Sort of like the film thread, in which anything goes as long as it's shot on film.

And if there's any moderator watching: is it even possible to change the thread title after this long, or is it something that just technically can't be done?
Thanks for including the CCD Club option. I just picked up a low shutter count K-10, an entire kit in box including extra batteries and a kit lens and body guard for a real bargain price, so now will have two K-10s and one 645D. I am sure I would feel inclined to use the 645D more often with the CCD Club as a posting option.
06-28-2020, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #5973
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CCD Club works for me as well, if allowed. I'm tied up a bit right now so need to be brief. I'll be checking back when I can.
06-28-2020, 11:31 AM - 5 Likes   #5974
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some shots from Keukenhof Tulip Festival in 2018.

The first has no pp. K10d likes red! The 18-55mm used for all.

06-28-2020, 11:15 PM   #5975
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you want to:

I'll vote for the "CCD Club" option as I have just acquired my second CCD sensor camera.

It is a 12MP Pentax X90 bridge camera with a 26X optical zoom. It bought it for my wife about 10 years ago but she no longer wants it. Not quite the same as working with a DSLR but it produces acceptable JPG (only!) images that don't require much PP. Yes, CCD Club for me.
06-28-2020, 11:43 PM   #5976
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you want to:

No particular preference from me, Dave. Right now, my K10D is my only relevant source for this club, regardless of what the club is called. That being said, I like the "(Formerly the K10D Club)" tag as a reminder of the importance of, and the regard in which we hold, that particular camera model.
06-29-2020, 12:58 AM   #5977
Pentaxian

It is a 12MP Pentax X90 bridge camera with a 26X optical zoom. It bought it for my wife about 10 years ago but she no longer wants it. Not quite the same as working with a DSLR but it produces acceptable JPG (only!) images that don't require much PP. Yes, CCD Club for me.

Have you posted any shots with the X90 anywhere that I could see them yet? I'd be very interested in seeing some results at the long end with it in your skilled hands.

I very rarely shoot with any sort of long lens except for the Torbay Airshow every June (cancelled this year). So I've been thinking that the size, weight and price of a superzoom bridge camera might actually be the best option for my very occasional long lens needs.

06-29-2020, 03:32 AM   #5978
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting that the X90 had 12.1Mp and top ISO of 6400. Pentax could have had another CCD DSLR with better specs but I guess everything became weighted towards CMOS.
06-29-2020, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #5979
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you posted any shots with the X90 anywhere that I could see them yet? I'd be very interested in seeing some results at the long end with it in your skilled hands.

I very rarely shoot with any sort of long lens except for the Torbay Airshow every June (cancelled this year). So I've been thinking that the size, weight and price of a superzoom bridge camera might actually be the best option for my very occasional long lens needs.
As I know of no other way to contact you outside of the forum I will post a link to a Google Photos album here: Pentax X90 to Google Photos 2020 - Google Photos

The pixel count is fine but the sensor size is smaller than I would like (1/2.33 in.) but that is similar on all superzooms. I have not properly explored the long end yet as my playing quickly revealed that a tripod was necessary. I have installed a Manfrotto QR plate on it so I will get some shots later today. I too will be interested to see what it can do as, so far, it has performed above my expectations. Whether it would be useful for an air show I am not sure.
06-29-2020, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #5980
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As promised, Dave, I strolled down to the lake and took some shots with the X90 on a tripod at minimum FL and maximum FL and one part way through. No processing applied except for resizing to 2048 pixels on the long edge.

I have uploaded them to the same Google Photos album Pentax X90 to Google Photos 2020 - Google Photos and the 6 newest images are at the top with comments.
I think that the results are quite acceptable for the size of the sensor. I await your comments.
06-30-2020, 01:14 AM   #5981
Pentaxian

Folks, there's something I need to say, and I'm saying it here because the K10D Club has always been my spiritual home on this forum.

Lately the general tone on large parts of this site has been becoming increasingly toxic. I've been seeing outright bullying by some members that hasn't been dealt with, while genuine attempts by other members to have a balanced discussion have resulted in deleted posts and thread bans. I'm not going to say any more than that, because I don't want this post of mine to be edited or deleted as I've seen happening to others in front of my own eyes.

Events over the past few days have brought me to the point where I no longer feel that I want to be a member here anymore. So I'm sad to say that this will be my last post and I'll no longer be contributing after today.

I'm sure you'll all understand that this decision has got nothing at all to do with the K10D Club. This thread has always been a beacon of friendly, civilised, open-minded discussion. But I'm no longer willing to stand by and watch talented photographers being forced into silence out on the forum in general.

I've enjoyed being Dartmoor Dave, but now it's time for him to wander off into the sunset. All the best to my friends here in the K10D Club.

David
06-30-2020, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #5982
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Folks, there's something I need to say, and I'm saying it here because the K10D Club has always been my spiritual home on this forum.

Lately the general tone on large parts of this site has been becoming increasingly toxic. I've been seeing outright bullying by some members that hasn't been dealt with, while genuine attempts by other members to have a balanced discussion have resulted in deleted posts and thread bans. I'm not going to say any more than that, because I don't want this post of mine to be edited or deleted as I've seen happening to others in front of my own eyes.

Events over the past few days have brought me to the point where I no longer feel that I want to be a member here anymore. So I'm sad to say that this will be my last post and I'll no longer be contributing after today.

I'm sure you'll all understand that this decision has got nothing at all to do with the K10D Club. This thread has always been a beacon of friendly, civilised, open-minded discussion. But I'm no longer willing to stand by and watch talented photographers being forced into silence out on the forum in general.

I've enjoyed being Dartmoor Dave, but now it's time for him to wander off into the sunset. All the best to my friends here in the K10D Club.

David
I don't know if David will read this but that is one of the saddest posts I have ever seen here. I am devastated and will miss his valuable contributions to this thread and others.
It won't be the same here without him.
06-30-2020, 03:05 AM - 2 Likes   #5983
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave, why not just stick to the K10 thread, I rarely venture anywhere else these days.
06-30-2020, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #5984
Pentaxian

I have only occasionally posted on this thread, but often browse, and I would be very sorry to see Dartmoor Dave go. He is one of the most talented photogs on the forum and has a lot of worthwhile things to say too. His pictures are mostly (entirely?) taken on Dartmoor and it shows how good new art can be created continuously, consistently surprising us with its high quality, and yet be based on one topic.

I browse and contribute to a few other sub-forums (not all), and there are a certain few members who seem to be on a short fuse. I have learned not to trigger them off, basically ignoring them, but I notice there are two or three pairs of members who seem to have ongoing feuds with each other going back a long way. Other members just keep out of it, let them get on with it and watch from the sidelines. All forums get this to some extent, usually worse.

I hope Dave changes his mind.
06-30-2020, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #5985
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know if David will read this but that is one of the saddest posts I have ever seen here. I am devastated and will miss his valuable contributions to this thread and others.
It won't be the same here without him.
What Ray said. ^^^

Between his knowledge, his obvious photographic capability (and his ponies!) and his sense of humor, Dave quickly became one of my favorite voices on PF. This is indeed a sad day!