Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2020, 10:11 AM - 7 Likes   #6016
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to step in just one last time, because it breaks my heart to see how much upset I've caused. For me, it was simply that I got to the point where I just couldn't tune out the loudmouths and bullies any more. It's as simple as that.

This is a wonderful forum at its best -- and the K10D Club is as good as it can possibly ever get. Enjoy it, my friends, and don't let my flouncing out of here spoil it for you.

07-05-2020, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #6017
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'm going to step in just one last time, because it breaks my heart to see how much upset I've caused. For me, it was simply that I got to the point where I just couldn't tune out the loudmouths and bullies any more. It's as simple as that.

This is a wonderful forum at its best -- and the K10D Club is as good as it can possibly ever get. Enjoy it, my friends, and don't let my flouncing out of here spoil it for you.
Dear Dave -- thanks so much for a final word and wish. We trust your judgement. Our pain in the moment is about anticipating this coming space in time of not having you with us. I hope you won't mind the way I finally figured out to immortalize my regard for and remembrance of your past participation during the time I have been a forum member here: this signature image (hoping it will display properly) which anyone else is free to copy and use. I hope you don't mind I borrowed one of your ponies to make the "M" in Dartmoor.

-- Steve (goatsNdonkey)
07-05-2020, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #6018
Veteran Member

Thanks Dave for replying and explaining what made you decide to no longer participate here and leave us without the ponies.

One of the guidelines to participate in any forum is to limit the discussion to exchanging points of view.
As soon as posts become personal for which there is an expression in Latin called: "ad hominem" matters easily get out of control.
I wonder how these guys using Latin could foresee the kind of things happening at internet forums. Must have been pretty smart fellows.

Thanks Steve for the wonderful conversion of "Dartmoor Daves signature"
I am sure Dave will appreciate the job.
07-05-2020, 02:03 PM - 2 Likes   #6019
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Images from an early morning walk

Images from an early morning walk.

KIT: K-10 with (converted) Canon-FD 55mm f 1.2.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
07-05-2020, 02:34 PM   #6020
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote

. . . .

I wonder how these guys using Latin could foresee the kind of things happening at internet forums. Must have been pretty smart fellows.

. . . .

Similarly, I have wondered how Shakespeare's plays were written using so many cliches we still use today.

I wonder how many other letters of the alphabet Dave's ponies were displaying. It wasn't terribly hard to find one doing an M. Maybe they've been broadcasting in code all along, and none of us noticed?
07-06-2020, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #6021
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know Dave won't read this so I won't bother doing it as a reply to him...

But the whole point is, there is no bullying or rude behavior from the fine people who frequent threads like this one - dedicated to older cameras so it immediately weeds out any people who base their photography on camera specs rather than the actual images they produce.

Honestly, there's parts of this forum I don't even go to (like the K-1 sub-forum) and others where I don't go often (like the "news and rumours") so I'll be honest and say I have absolutely no idea where the bullying or hateful talk is.

Two examples...

My mother in law was worried about all the destruction happening in Atlanta due to the riots, and wouldn't understand that I live 50 miles away from all that and it hasn't affected anything anywhere near me.

The other example is that I hang out in musician forums sometimes... and used to be very avid in one forum in particular - but I very early migrated from the guitar sub-forum (which was up to that point my main instrument) to the keyboards sub-forum because the keyboard people were mostly very nice and friendly, and the guitar people where mostly obnoxious, rude and had the maturity of a 5yo with a constant temper tantrum.

Anyway, I wish the best to Dave as he is a really great guy and a great photographer, and I guess this will all be behind us now...
07-06-2020, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #6022
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm glad someone shared Dave's Flickr, as much as I'll miss his contributions here, I followed him there so I'll keep up with the latest ponies

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The other example is that I hang out in musician forums sometimes... and used to be very avid in one forum in particular - but I very early migrated from the guitar sub-forum (which was up to that point my main instrument) to the keyboards sub-forum because the keyboard people were mostly very nice and friendly, and the guitar people where mostly obnoxious, rude and had the maturity of a 5yo with a constant temper tantrum.
I have to comment because it is funny you say that - I have experienced subsets within forums for other hobbies as well. I used to paintball a lot, and found my favorite group to be the people who were into late 90s early 2000s pump paintball markers. Way different vibe there. Helpful, friendly, laid back. These older camera threads reminded me of that, which is part of what got my into these older bodies.

No new K10D photos from me as of late. I am playing with a 10mp Nikon D80, which was released just three months apart from the K10D. Very cool camera, but man, it just makes me appreciate how far ahead Pentax was in some areas even at the time. Weather resistant body, sensor stabilization, pretty high tech stuff against the competition.

07-06-2020, 01:34 PM - 7 Likes   #6023
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lake Josephine
Glacier National Park

DA* 50-135mm F2.8

07-06-2020, 03:24 PM - 4 Likes   #6024
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Tribute to Dartmoor Dave

By now I hope that everyone has read the message on the forum masthead from Adam and the PF Team. It is about the bullying and nasty behaviour which has occured on parts of the forum. A bright light has now been shone on that behaviour and action is being taken.

I did not see any of that behaviour but one sensitive and caring person did and he decided to take a stand against it. That person was Dartmoor Dave. At his own personal cost he decided to depart from the forum. He did not want to go but that was his way of making a statement. That also meant that he would no longer be part of this club where he was always amongst friends who valued his contribution but a total departure was the only way to bring the matter to the attention of the forum moderators.
We now know that has happened and I assume that there is a lot going on behind the scenes. I feel that nothing short of what Dave did would have achieved the desired outcome.

We owe a great debt of gratitude to Dartmoor Dave for doing what he did to expose the inexcusable bullying that he saw being directed to those who did not deserve it. I doubt that I would have done what he did.
Let us hope that Adam and the moderators are able to resolve these issues so that we end up with a much friendlier forum for everybody. Maybe in the fullness of time when all this has settled down Dave might feel like he can return.

In the meantime, thank you Dave for the way that you cared enough for others to do what you did. You have made a difference.

BTW, these are just my thoughts about this situation after thinking about it for a long time.
07-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #6025
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's some pictures....I was testing a Sigma 135-400 APO handheld on the K10d and spotted four Common Tern diving into a pond at a park near my hourse. The lens is not super sharp, but not bad considering I was at ASA400 and handheld. I'm thinking to go for a 70-200/2.8 with a 2X...

Hope these links work:
Nextcloud ZDataReports
Nextcloud ZDataReports
Nextcloud ZDataReports
Nextcloud ZDataReports
Nextcloud ZDataReports

---------- Post added 07-06-20 at 04:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Here's some pictures....I was testing a Sigma 135-400 APO handheld on the K10d and spotted four Common Tern diving into a pond at a park near my hourse. The lens is not super sharp, but not bad considering I was at ASA400 and handheld. I'm thinking to go for a 70-200/2.8 with a 2X...

Hope these links work:
Nextcloud ZDataReports
Nextcloud ZDataReports
Nextcloud ZDataReports
Nextcloud ZDataReports
Nextcloud ZDataReports
House
07-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #6026
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I subscribe to several lens club, camera club, and topical discussion threads, where people are mostly sharing pictures and sometimes talking about gear, but in which there is (luckily) very little in the way of wrangling, snarkiness, or bullying. Most of my energy as a Pentax Forum participant is invested in trying to keep up with and sometimes participate in those threads I'm most fond of. I guess unknowingly I've avoided some crap in other kinds of threads with my participation habits. I share this in case a similar habit might be helpful to others tired of those sorts of negative encounters.

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
My Tribute to Dartmoor Dave

By now I hope that everyone has read the message on the forum masthead from Adam and the PF Team. It is about the bullying and nasty behaviour which has occured on parts of the forum. A bright light has now been shone on that behaviour and action is being taken.

I did not see any of that behaviour but one sensitive and caring person did and he decided to take a stand against it. That person was Dartmoor Dave. At his own personal cost he decided to depart from the forum. He did not want to go but that was his way of making a statement. That also meant that he would no longer be part of this club where he was always amongst friends who valued his contribution but a total departure was the only way to bring the matter to the attention of the forum moderators.
We now know that has happened and I assume that there is a lot going on behind the scenes. I feel that nothing short of what Dave did would have achieved the desired outcome.

We owe a great debt of gratitude to Dartmoor Dave for doing what he did to expose the inexcusable bullying that he saw being directed to those who did not deserve it. I doubt that I would have done what he did.
Let us hope that Adam and the moderators are able to resolve these issues so that we end up with a much friendlier forum for everybody. Maybe in the fullness of time when all this has settled down Dave might feel like he can return.

In the meantime, thank you Dave for the way that you cared enough for others to do what you did. You have made a difference.

BTW, these are just my thoughts about this situation after thinking about it for a long time.
07-06-2020, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #6027
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I subscribe to several lens club, camera club, and topical discussion threads, where people are mostly sharing pictures and sometimes talking about gear, but in which there is (luckily) very little in the way of wrangling, snarkiness, or bullying. Most of my energy as a Pentax Forum participant is invested in trying to keep up with and sometimes participate in those threads I'm most fond of. I guess unknowingly I've avoided some crap in other kinds of threads with my participation habits. I share this in case a similar habit might be helpful to others tired of those sorts of negative encounters.
As with you, I’ve been lucky enough to avoid most of the negative participants, probably due to the types of threads I find most appealing, such as this one. I’ve kind of concluded that most of the participants in this type of thread are more interested in learning how to get the most they can out of their Pentax equipment, and appreciating the tips and techniques from the other participants, as opposed to blaming Pentax for their inability to do so!

All of that being said, I find it kind of depressing that there is enough negativity in PF to drive someone as talented as Dave away.
07-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #6028
Pentaxian

So, as I told the fine people here in this thread, I'm in the K200D camp now... I'll still use the K10D but the K200D will probably see more use. I'm loving the files I'm getting from it and it's quite a bit lighter and the handling is just wonderful.

So, did we get to any conclusion regarding a 10MP CCD thread, or a CCD thread in general? I would like to open one to leave this thread here for specific K10D discussion.

If I open one "All CCD Sensors" club, is that going to bother those posting in specific threads like this one, the 6MP one, or the K200D one? I could just as easily open a "10MP CCD Club". What say ye?
07-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #6029
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One small vote for "All CCD Sensors" club. I have two K10D's (and a D200).
07-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #6030
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So, as I told the fine people here in this thread, I'm in the K200D camp now... I'll still use the K10D but the K200D will probably see more use. I'm loving the files I'm getting from it and it's quite a bit lighter and the handling is just wonderful.

So, did we get to any conclusion regarding a 10MP CCD thread, or a CCD thread in general? I would like to open one to leave this thread here for specific K10D discussion.

If I open one "All CCD Sensors" club, is that going to bother those posting in specific threads like this one, the 6MP one, or the K200D one? I could just as easily open a "10MP CCD Club". What say ye?
All CCD would allow those with other resolution CCD based cameras to post, a lot of earlier medium format and I think the 14mp Sony sensor was CCD and all the Kodak four thirds were CCD. My K200 arrived today and I nearly bought a Sony A290 (it was a well good price) yesterday. So I would possibly post there, well either as the K200 is a 10.