Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2020, 10:37 PM   #6331
Veteran Member

these , and the bottlebrush , grow wild ? native , there ?

QuoteOriginally posted by rjbrett Quote
Some Grevillea flowers from a hedge around a local supermarket carpark, K10d & DA 18-55mm Al f3.5-5.6;

09-29-2020, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #6332

All these photos are amazing! I just got myself a K10D, I feel so lucky!
09-29-2020, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #6333
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some Grevillea flowers from a hedge around a local supermarket carpark, K10d & DA 18-55mm Al f3.5-5.6;

Lovely colour on that grevillea, Richard.

---------- Post added 29-09-20 at 06:34 PM ----------

- nice Ray! - I've never seen one of these, or noticed it at least. Good colour on the bird as well

Bottlebrush flowers, K10d & DA 18-55 mm f4-5.6 AL;

Thanks, Richard. They are not one of my favourite birds. I took the shot because of the nifty nest.

Great images of the bottlebrush (callistemon). The red recorded extremely well. Typical K10D! 😁
09-29-2020, 03:56 AM   #6334
Veteran Member

yes , you are now golden !
its a great little camera. even beat up and abused , old , as the one i got a month or so ago, is , all the better for it . still works like new .

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave133 Quote
All these photos are amazing! I just got myself a K10D, I feel so lucky!

09-29-2020, 02:21 PM - 4 Likes   #6335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smoky/foggy Ventura Harbor Village - Super Tak 28/3.5 on K10D:
09-30-2020, 09:37 AM - 2 Likes   #6336
Veteran Member

k 30/ 2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
09-30-2020, 03:04 PM - 5 Likes   #6337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
these , and the bottlebrush , grow wild ? native , there ?
These are cultivars bred for domestic garden and landscaping use, and showier and growing in more convenient forms than their native wild ancestors. These have been widely planted in streets, parks and gardens through the country since the 1970s as they handle the Australian soils and climates well. I found these in hedges in local car parks.

I've been trying to photograph out of the full sun, Ray, to stop the colour flattening or blowing out altogether, as you know it will. This has meant standing half in and half out of the hedges, at times in awkward postures, as I try to catch shafts of filtered sun to get soft highlights for the photos. People do look at me suspiciously - one day I had just pulled up and started walking up and down the hedge looking for a good photo and I saw someone pull their car up, and with the motor still running, leap out, cut a good bunch of the flowers, and then race back off again. Who knows....

The colours are showy, but I'm also fascinated by the structure of these flowers, and I've put one the bottlebrushes above and a Pom Pom flower (Metsidiros spp. - a New Zealand native) through a red filter in Nik Silver Effects to try bringing this out;

09-30-2020, 04:12 PM   #6338
Veteran Member

yes , i see what you mean about the structure.
all these plants , once you really look , are fascinating .

there are so many levels of ' being ' to everything .... you know ?

These are cultivars bred for domestic garden and landscaping use, and showier and growing in more convenient forms than their native wild ancestors. These have been widely planted in streets, parks and gardens through the country since the 1970s as they handle the Australian soils and climates well. I found these in hedges in local car parks.

I've been trying to photograph out of the full sun, Ray, to stop the colour flattening or blowing out altogether, as you know it will. This has meant standing half in and half out of the hedges, at times in awkward postures, as I try to catch shafts of filtered sun to get soft highlights for the photos. People do look at me suspiciously - one day I had just pulled up and started walking up and down the hedge looking for a good photo and I saw someone pull their car up, and with the motor still running, leap out, cut a good bunch of the flowers, and then race back off again. Who knows....

The colours are showy, but I'm also fascinated by the structure of these flowers, and I've put one the bottlebrushes above and a Pom Pom flower (Metsidiros spp. - a New Zealand native) through a red filter in Nik Silver Effects to try bringing this out;

09-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #6339
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Interesting point about taking your photos out of the sun. My main photographic models are flowers, and my two main shooting times are early morning about 30 minutes before full sunrise and the last hour or so of the day before sunset. Cloudy days also work well, or finding ways to shade the flowers from direct sunlight. I have found it possible to incorporate sun rays into flower shooting, but I find it difficult.
09-30-2020, 09:17 PM - 10 Likes   #6340
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some old shots taken with my K10D over the years. I'm passing my K20D on to my dad so he can try a digital camera, but keeping the K10D for myself.

A couple of the first pictures I took with it, probably taken the first week with my first DSLR.

A wood sculpture by my uncle, taken with a SMC M28 2.8.

Vancouver sky train, 20 second exposure with 16-45 f4.

Taken with an old SMC-A 70-210

Taken with an old SMC-A 400 f5.6

Not sure what lens I used for these ones, either a Sigma 105 f2.8 macro or an old 50 f2 with extension tubes.

Sunrise, taken with the 16-45 f4. The second one I accidently got the camera to ISO 1100, and it was about -45 when I took it, but it was such a nice sunrise I had to get out anyway.

Night shot on Santorini using a SMC-A 50 f2.

Another one taken with the 70-210.

It's been fun going through some of my old stuff, I haven't seen some of these in years.
Kristian
10-01-2020, 07:17 PM - 4 Likes   #6341
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by turbo_bird Quote
It's been fun going through some of my old stuff,
Nice work - thanks for sharing!

At the Farmers Market - DA18-55 on K10D:
10-02-2020, 01:55 AM   #6342
Veteran Member

nice.. what is a tamale ? google it , ok .....
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice work - thanks for sharing!

At the Farmers Market - DA18-55 on K10D:
10-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #6343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
nice.. what is a tamale ? google it , ok .....
They are popular in Texas, and SW United States, esp. around the holiday season. Good...but fattening
10-03-2020, 04:01 AM - 3 Likes   #6344
Closed Account

First of the fall color

K10d with 35-70f.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
10-03-2020, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #6345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Observation tower at the Channel Islands NP visitor center, closed at the moment. Super Tak 28/3.5 on K10D: