Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2021, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #6676
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Dave, we are always going to be happy to hear a few words from you or get to see some of your pictures again, anytime you feel like doing that.
REMINDER FOR EVERYONE READING THIS: If you wish to proclaim yourself as one of the long-time fans of Dave's contributions to this forum, feel free to copy the image at the bottom of my posts and make it your signature image, too. No charge.

I realize several of you may already have message signature material you like, which is fine, some of which may already be in tribute to another member, past or present, but, if you don't have a signature image or have thought of changing to something new, consider this an opportunity.

02-13-2021, 06:37 AM - 2 Likes   #6677
Pentaxian

cropped a bit with the zeiss 35/2 zk and CP1, baby Monstera leaves coming up

02-13-2021, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #6678
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
cropped a bit with the zeiss 35/2 zk and CP1, baby Monstera leaves coming up
and a nice little dew drop...

---------- Post added 02-13-21 at 10:37 AM ----------

smc 100/ 4 macro

---------- Post added 02-13-21 at 10:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
Another from about 11 years ago. This is Coppermines Valley, Coniston in the English Lake District. The white building on the left is the youth hostel.
the whole scene looks 'copper-y' ; very nice

---------- Post added 02-13-21 at 10:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Hi folks. Last week I logged on to Flickr for the first time in months and discovered that a couple of you had kindly tried to contact me, so I thought I'd stop by here to say sorry for not replying.

Over the last six months or so of last year I was in the grip of a fairly catastrophic episode of the mental health condition that comes along and clobbers me now and then, so I'm afraid I really wasn't in any condition to be chatting to anyone online. It's no big deal in comparison with the horrors that so many people have suffered from Covid, but it was enough to cause quite a lot of self-inflicted damage in my own life. And it meant that I rudely ignored a couple of you from here, and I want to apologise for that.

I've now realised that there's something intrinsically destabilising about social media for me personally, so I've shut down everything apart from Facebook with a handful of close family and real world friends. That includes shutting down my Flickr account. Of course you can't officially close down a PF account, and that's fine because I think I probably would have wanted to keep this one open anyway for old time's sake. I've lurked here now and then and it's been good to see that the K10D Club is still going strong with some talented new members, and I've loved what I've seen in the CCD cult thread. But I won't be coming back here as a regular contributor, because, like I say, I've come to accept that social media isn't particularly healthy for me personally.

I've actually taken a couple of photos again over the past few weeks, which is hopefully a sign that things are on the mend now. Although it seems that, somewhere during the months of chaos, I gave away all my lovely Takumars to charity -- which is just the sort of thing that tends to happen in those sort of times. I've still got the GX-10 and 18-55mm though, and what else more than that do you really need anyway?

Here's a couple of snaps from the start of this year (assuming I've remembered how to do it and they're actually visible).

i don't know , probably everyone else on this site does, but are these horses , yours ? or wild , or ? they look very hardy. that is a nice sharp clear shot.
02-13-2021, 05:28 PM - 4 Likes   #6679
Forum Member

02-13-2021, 06:28 PM - 3 Likes   #6680
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F35-80 on K10D
02-13-2021, 07:08 PM - 6 Likes   #6681

Common Flicker taken a few years ago. I've been hovering over this forum for awhile and have decided to jump in
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-13-2021, 07:12 PM - 4 Likes   #6682

Mountain Chickadee posing

After looking at these I've decided to blow the dust off of the K10 and give the K3 a rest.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by MountainMan; 02-13-2021 at 07:21 PM.
02-14-2021, 03:20 AM   #6683
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
the whole scene looks 'copper-y' ; very nice
Thanks. The bracken certainly gives it a coppery look, although the name comes from the now abandoned copper mines. There are quite a few old artifacts on the walk up to Coniston Old Man (2634 ft). Small by comparison to mountains in the US but a good walk nonetheless.

---------- Post added 14-02-21 at 03:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MountainMan Quote
After looking at these I've decided to blow the dust off of the K10 and give the K3 a rest.
Lovely photos of these birds. I wish I could blow the dust off my K10 but it won't start up any longer. Just flashes with a dead battery symbol. tried all the usual cleaning, external power supply but no go. Will hand onto it but only fit for the recycling bin now I think, so will just have to make do with my KP.
02-14-2021, 03:36 AM - 11 Likes   #6684
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
feel free to copy the image at the bottom of my posts and make it your signature image, too. No charge.
I'm truly humbled to think that anyone would do such a thing, but really there's no need. I'd blush every time I visited.

QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
i don't know , probably everyone else on this site does, but are these horses , yours ? or wild , or ? they look very hardy. that is a nice sharp clear shot.
Hi Glinda. The Dartmoor ponies are semi-wild (so are most Dartmoor humans). The ponies are all owned by farmers, but they live their lives on the moor as if they were wild. The true Dartmoor pony is an exceptionally hardly breed with significant genetic differences to most other equines, although most of the ones you'll see nowadays are partly mixed with the pit ponies that once worked in the mines on the moor.

Here's a snap from last July that I'm sure I wouldn't have posted here since I'd flounced out of the forum in a hissy fit by then. It was the last photo I took before spending five months in cloud cuckoo land.

02-14-2021, 05:53 AM   #6685
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MountainMan Quote
Western ? I’ve never seen one . Cool

---------- Post added 02-14-21 at 07:55 AM ----------

I'm truly humbled to think that anyone would do such a thing, but really there's no need. I'd blush every time I visited.

Hi Glinda. The Dartmoor ponies are semi-wild (so are most Dartmoor humans). The ponies are all owned by farmers, but they live their lives on the moor as if they were wild. The true Dartmoor pony is an exceptionally hardly breed with significant genetic differences to most other equines, although most of the ones you'll see nowadays are partly mixed with the pit ponies that once worked in the mines on the moor.

Here's a snap from last July that I'm sure I wouldn't have posted here since I'd flounced out of the forum in a hissy fit by then. It was the last photo I took before spending five months in cloud cuckoo land.

Thanks. They are beautiful. Nice shot , too.
02-14-2021, 11:41 AM - 3 Likes   #6686
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ya know, Dave, when I made up that signature design, we didn't know if we'd ever see you back here, and there are some other signature images paying tribute to other members, so I didn't invent the idea. And just looking for a pony standing in such a way as to look like an "m" which I could adapt to make the design, reminded me even more of how astounding the catalog of Dartmoor pony pictures you've posted here is--further exemplified by the one you just posted. And of course you've posted many other great pictures, too.

Whether we now hear from you regularly again, or only from time to time, I will continue to consider you a fellow PF member worthy of high regard and honors, and my invitation to others still stands. If that makes you blush, maybe that is good for your circulation. In these unhealthful times, we all need all the help we can get in that area, no?
02-14-2021, 12:36 PM - 2 Likes   #6687
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ya know, Dave, when I made up that signature design, we didn't know if we'd ever see you back here, and there are some other signature images paying tribute to other members, so I didn't invent the idea. And just looking for a pony standing in such a way as to look like an "m" which I could adapt to make the design, reminded me even more of how astounding the catalog of Dartmoor pony pictures you've posted here is--further exemplified by the one you just posted. And of course you've posted many other great pictures, too.

Whether we now hear from you regularly again, or only from time to time, I will continue to consider you a fellow PF member worthy of high regard and honors, and my invitation to others still stands. If that makes you blush, maybe that is good for your circulation. In these unhealthful times, we all need all the help we can get in that area, no?

All I can say is a genuinely heartfelt thank you. I wish there was an emoji that could represent how truly I mean that, but words will have to suffice. Posting again over the past couple of days has made me understand that I'm not back to 100% yet, and I'm sorry about working through these particular issues so publicly, but I promise that I'll be back when I've got some more snaps to share. Signing off now for the next few weeks though. Getting back in touch with the K10D Club has reminded me just how good people are at their best.
02-14-2021, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #6688
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh Dave, that is just the most marvellous image I have ever seen from you. I can't stop looking at it and I keep seeing more to look at. Please come back and share more of your great work.
That is what I meant when I said that photography is good therapy. It is for me and I get such good feelings when I see your images and I hope that works for you too.

As Oliver Twist said: "Please sir, I want some more".
02-14-2021, 02:14 PM - 2 Likes   #6689
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
As Oliver Twist said: "Please sir, I want some more".
@Dartmoor Dave What Ray said - amazing mono!
02-15-2021, 04:58 PM - 4 Likes   #6690
Veteran Member

m 40/ 2.8