Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12503 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2021, 08:14 PM - 5 Likes   #6721
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Took the DA 70mm to the backyard for a few minutes today... with Hoya PL filter.

Then I put on the DA 35 2.4... also put on the Hoya PL filter. With a camera that has no issues with shutter shock, my copy seems... pretty sharp, doesn't it?

DA 35 2.4 again, with Hoya PL filter. Did I mention this lens is sharp?

Last edited by ChristianRock; 02-23-2021 at 08:25 PM.
02-23-2021, 10:20 PM - 5 Likes   #6722
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remaining structures from Expo '92, across the Guadalquivir River in Seville, Spain. A full-scale replica of an Ariane 4 rocket can be seen in the middle of the image. Taken in 2010 with my K-10D and FA 28-80mm lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-24-2021, 10:52 AM - 2 Likes   #6723

Hello, everyone!
I just got my hands on my very first DSLR (or any kind of "proper" digital camera, for that matter) today. And it's a Pentax K10D, old but faithful
I hope I'll be able to shoot some nice nature scenes once spring arrives, and I hope I'll get my hands on a decent prime of 50mm or below by then.
So far I'm very impressed with the build quality, and the responsiveness, especially for its age! The mediocre ISO range might take some getting used to, though.
02-24-2021, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #6724
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
Hello, everyone!
I just got my hands on my very first DSLR (or any kind of "proper" digital camera, for that matter) today. And it's a Pentax K10D, old but faithful
I hope I'll be able to shoot some nice nature scenes once spring arrives, and I hope I'll get my hands on a decent prime of 50mm or below by then.
So far I'm very impressed with the build quality, and the responsiveness, especially for its age! The mediocre ISO range might take some getting used to, though.
Hope you enjoy it. In many ways the build quality is better than some of the later models. The SD card slot opener and battery cover opener for instance are very high quality compared to the simpler slide cover for the sd card and little plastic clip on the battery compartment of the KP. Simpler is probably better but never had any trouble for about 11 years with my K10D. It did suddenly die on me last October though. I think it may have been due to leaving a depleted battery in for quite a while, so, I would suggest you keep using it and keep the battery fresh and it may avoid this fate.

02-24-2021, 01:05 PM - 3 Likes   #6725
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Geraniums on the porch - DA18-135
02-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #6726

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
Hope you enjoy it. In many ways the build quality is better than some of the later models. The SD card slot opener and battery cover opener for instance are very high quality compared to the simpler slide cover for the sd card and little plastic clip on the battery compartment of the KP. Simpler is probably better but never had any trouble for about 11 years with my K10D. It did suddenly die on me last October though. I think it may have been due to leaving a depleted battery in for quite a while, so, I would suggest you keep using it and keep the battery fresh and it may avoid this fate.
Thanks! I will try to do so.
I only have the original battery, and haven't used the camera long enough to give a testament to its endurance, but so far it seems rock-solid. I am very impressed considering its age, and the camera body itself also is flawless.
They truly don't make them "like they used to"
I'm hoping my experience with the vintage lenses I ordered will be similar. Well-built gear simply is a pleasure to use, even if it's a few decades old, and anything non-digital tends to hold up fairly well, thankfully.
02-24-2021, 02:50 PM - 3 Likes   #6727
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
mediocre ISO range
Moving back in time from more recent models I've been pleasantly surprised by its versatility, and agree with stevejo about slot covers. Give it a go !

Moth wing at what must be true macro magnification. Colourful as it is at normal viewing range it just looked a very plain grey-brown, and I thought I'd just try photographing the "eye" as its main feature. Pentax K10d with Vivitar 100mm AF f3.5 macro on 12 mm extension tube & Kenko AC +5 MC close up filter, and a small LED light;

Given the difficulty of finding a focal plane on the uneven surface this might have been a good candidate for "my very first" focus stack..... but maybe another time.... I'll just try packing him away carefully for now. I found him dead on a window sill while cleaning.

Last edited by rjbrett; 02-24-2021 at 03:38 PM.
02-25-2021, 11:27 AM - 12 Likes   #6728
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
The end - DA18-135
Love it. Am I the only one thinking that it would make the most perfectly ironic grave?

Here's a 36 shot stitch of a little island in the river Walkham just before it joins the Tavy at Double Waters -- it's four rows of nine frames adding up to a 180 degree view. Downstream from this the Tavy joins the Tamar, and then about twenty miles further along at Devonport Dockyard you'll find submarines and aircraft carriers. Mostly canoes up at this end though.

There's something unexpectedly liberating about ending up with an 18-55mm as your only lens. Without anything wider you're forced to resort to stitching, and that has the effect of making you stop thinking in terms of focal lengths. You just find a vantage point where you like the view, then collect as many frames as you think you'll need for the stitch-up. I highly recommend it.

02-25-2021, 11:51 AM   #6729
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Love it. Am I the only one thinking that it would make the most perfectly ironic grave?

Here's a 36 shot stitch of a little island in the river Walkham just before it joins the Tavy at Double Waters -- it's four rows of nine frames adding up to a 180 degree view. Downstream from this the Tavy joins the Tamar, and then about twenty miles further along at Devonport Dockyard you'll find submarines and aircraft carriers. Mostly canoes up at this end though.

There's something unexpectedly liberating about ending up with an 18-55mm as your only lens. Without anything wider you're forced to resort to stitching, and that has the effect of making you stop thinking in terms of focal lengths. You just find a vantage point where you like the view, then collect as many frames as you think you'll need for the stitch-up. I highly recommend it.
I love this one, Dave. As I look at it, I kind of get sucked upstream! Great job!
02-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #6730
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I also love this. Haven't really tried stiching (at least since software was avaialble to do this), Must have a go when we can get out again.
02-25-2021, 02:39 PM   #6731
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another magnificent stitched image, Dave. It's good to see that you are not letting the only lens you have stopping you from achieving what you want to include in your view. Multi row panos are not easy to capture and again you have done a great job. I am not sure what equipment you have but whatever way you are doing it is working. The final result must be very satisfying.
02-25-2021, 03:29 PM - 3 Likes   #6732
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a 36 shot stitch
Fantastic work, Dave - love this!

An entryway at St. Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula - DA18-135 (moderate crop)
02-25-2021, 03:46 PM - 2 Likes   #6733
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks folks. Ray, the only gear is the camera and kit lens -- you know how much I hate tripods, and the modern software does an excellent job of projecting the image even when the camera has been rotated by hand around a point that's nowhere near the entry iris. I think I'm only likely to have any real problems if I try a handheld stitch with a foreground object that's a long way in front of the background, causing parallax error. I'll have to give it a try and see what happens, although in the meantime I've got my eyes out for a Tamron 10-24mm if one turns up at the right price.

Edit: It's occurred to me to add that, although we're still under lockdown here in the UK, I'm very lucky to have picturesque places that I can get to on the daily exercise walk that Boris says I'm allowed. My sympathies are with those who haven't got such a luxury.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 02-25-2021 at 03:54 PM.
02-25-2021, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #6734
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks folks. Ray, the only gear is the camera and kit lens -- you know how much I hate tripods, and the modern software does an excellent job of projecting the image even when the camera has been rotated by hand around a point that's nowhere near the entry iris. I think I'm only likely to have any real problems if I try a handheld stitch with a foreground object that's a long way in front of the background, causing parallax error. I'll have to give it a try and see what happens, although in the meantime I've got my eyes out for a Tamron 10-24mm if one turns up at the right price.
Yes, I know how much you hate tripods! And I thought that you were probably doing it handheld. More power to you as judging overlap both horizontally and vertically handheld would not be easy for that number of images. I would not even contemplate it without my pano head on a tripod. But that's just me. I doubt that I could have done any better than you did.

I have had a Tamron 10-24mm for many years and I can highly recommend it. I hope you can find one. A Sigma 10-20mm is also a good option.
02-25-2021, 08:57 PM   #6735
Veteran Member

Nice. I have to look up where this is .
Do you ever get snow there ?

---------- Post added 02-25-21 at 11:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rjbrett Quote
Moving back in time from more recent models I've been pleasantly surprised by its versatility, and agree with stevejo about slot covers. Give it a go !

Moth wing at what must be true macro magnification. Colourful as it is at normal viewing range it just looked a very plain grey-brown, and I thought I'd just try photographing the "eye" as its main feature. Pentax K10d with Vivitar 100mm AF f3.5 macro on 12 mm extension tube & Kenko AC +5 MC close up filter, and a small LED light;

Given the difficulty of finding a focal plane on the uneven surface this might have been a good candidate for "my very first" focus stack..... but maybe another time.... I'll just try packing him away carefully for now. I found him dead on a window sill while cleaning.
Amazing , the structure of nature . We haven’t a clue.
Now they want to play with genes...