---------- Post added 03-27-21 at 12:35 AM ----------

Nice shots Mr.Allen

---------- Post added 03-27-21 at 12:38 AM ----------

Relatively rare I see those now .
Nice .
Where was the loon ?
I’d see them up in Maine , New Hampshire,
Hardly ever in Connecticut..
Thank you Glinda. That was at Saybrook point.. where the Connecticut River meets the sound. On the River. The Last few years I have seen loons from New Haven (light house park)to the Ct River through out the winter.. not many at a time.. but here and there.
Al

03-27-2021, 04:30 AM   #6887
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Thank you Glinda. That was at Saybrook point.. where the Connecticut River meets the sound. On the River. The Last few years I have seen loons from New Haven (light house park)to the Ct River through out the winter.. not many at a time.. but here and there.
Al
They could be making a comeback , of sorts ? Loons , or habitat expanding southward maybe .
Or maybe they winter , then go back north ...

Have you seen them take flight , how they need to run across the water , as their bones are solid , not as hollow as most other birds .

And their sound of course is legendary.
One is missing a part of life never to hear the sounds they make across the water.
Eerily beautiful.

Thanks.
03-27-2021, 04:51 AM   #6888
Veteran Member

Yes they are really an interesting bird to watch and hear. I have a feeling they maybe here in the winter because Long Island sound is warming a bit. .. which is making for more winter food... I saw this one diving for crab though too far for a good picture. A few weeks ago I nailed some really nice pics of Herring gulls with blue crabs.. Extremely early in the season for them to be active... so abundant food source.

AL
03-27-2021, 12:33 PM - 4 Likes   #6889
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A re-post from a few years ago at the CAF Museum, Camarillo, Calif. DA18-55 on K10D. The plane is a Mitsubishi Zero, one of the most famous fighters of WWII.

03-27-2021, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #6890
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the male wild turkey at the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center

in full mating colors, two females out of frame

first photographed over fence, second photographed through window of the enclosure

K 10d + Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm F2.8-4 Macro Zoom PKA 62 F ( Komine )
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-27-2021 at 03:09 PM.
03-28-2021, 09:47 AM - 3 Likes   #6891

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
At the Gosford Public Wharf. Perfect weather for the K10D and the DA 18-55mm WR.

This boat is obviously not sinking and has had a couple of solar panels installed but one wonders just how much it will cost to restore it to its former glory.

The rest of the moored boats.
Allow me to add a boat of my own

I went on a walk with a friend of mine today, around a part of the docks of my city. There were some interesting graffiti as well of which I made some decent pictures. I'm slowly learning to appreciate the 18-55mm kit more and realize that my bad images with it when I first got the K10D a few weeks ago were probably more due to lack of camera experience than anything else.

Lübeck is famous for its red brick (one of our churches even has the tallest brick vault in the world!), but what I love more than red brick are its different shades.
There's a building made almost entirely from gorgeous, black, glistening brick here as well, I believe it's the Ratshaus, that I have yet to take a picture of.
03-28-2021, 12:19 PM - 2 Likes   #6892
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Getting some sun! F35-70 on K10D:

03-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #6893
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
Allow me to add a boat of my own

I went on a walk with a friend of mine today, around a part of the docks of my city. There were some interesting graffiti as well of which I made some decent pictures. I'm slowly learning to appreciate the 18-55mm kit more and realize that my bad images with it when I first got the K10D a few weeks ago were probably more due to lack of camera experience than anything else.

Lübeck is famous for its red brick (one of our churches even has the tallest brick vault in the world!), but what I love more than red brick are its different shades.
There's a building made almost entirely from gorgeous, black, glistening brick here as well, I believe it's the Ratshaus, that I have yet to take a picture of.
That boat looks to be in much better condition than the one I posted.
Yes, the 18-55mm is often underrated. It produces very good images once you get used to it.

Last edited by rayallen; 03-28-2021 at 01:46 PM.
03-28-2021, 01:44 PM - 3 Likes   #6894
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Getting ready for a day on the water. K10D and SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR.

03-28-2021, 02:29 PM - 4 Likes   #6895
Veteran Member

So Its a rainy day here in CT. I have an old 600mm Tele-Lentar thats got a seriously stiff focus ring...it literally takes 2 hands and the throw is really long, and this lens is a monstrous steel pipe.. The lens cost me nothing and I have been trying to find a way to use it in the yard so I put the K10D on it . I added a Bellows so I could focus closer , and fine tune focus. I shot from the covered porch and just played around with it on a tripod. Not the best day for the K10D light wise but had a few keepers. The Lens itself is optically not bad, but its a handful

IMGP4049

IMGP3946

IMGP3909
03-28-2021, 03:42 PM   #6896

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
So Its a rainy day here in CT. I have an old 600mm Tele-Lentar thats got a seriously stiff focus ring...it literally takes 2 hands and the throw is really long, and this lens is a monstrous steel pipe.. The lens cost me nothing and I have been trying to find a way to use it in the yard so I put the K10D on it . I added a Bellows so I could focus closer , and fine tune focus. I shot from the covered porch and just played around with it on a tripod. Not the best day for the K10D light wise but had a few keepers. The Lens itself is optically not bad, but its a handful

IMGP4049

IMGP3946

IMGP3909
I've got something similar, a 500mm F/8 - here in Germany we call them "Wundertüte", or "lucky bag", because they're better than the price of ~50-100€ suggests though yours seems to be a grade or two above mine.
Impressive sharpness and contrast on those images! I still need more practise to handle mine well....photos tend to be not very sharp and dark.
Do you have a split prism/microprism screen, or how did you manage to get the focus on point?
03-28-2021, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #6897
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
I've got something similar, a 500mm F/8 - here in Germany we call them "Wundertüte", or "lucky bag", because they're better than the price of ~50-100€ suggests though yours seems to be a grade or two above mine.
Impressive sharpness and contrast on those images! I still need more practise to handle mine well....photos tend to be not very sharp and dark.
Do you have a split prism/microprism screen, or how did you manage to get the focus on point?
Thank you! Just a standard k10d screen..no split.This 600mm is really in bad mechanical shape.. the focus ring is very very stiff.I plan on takingit apart.and cleaning..relube. What I did here is use a bellows to micro focus. The advantage also is it moves up the focus distance so I can be closer to my subjects... its easier for me to focus on a bird /animal that takes up most of the viewfinder..I was only about 30-40 feet from.these.

Hth,
AL
03-28-2021, 07:33 PM - 5 Likes   #6898
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Backlit Camellia sasanqua in my garden. K10D and Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Tele-Macro 1:2 in Macro mode. I have had this lens for 12 years and it still performs well IMHO. PP in Photoshop CC.

03-28-2021, 07:59 PM   #6899
Veteran Member

Backlit Camellia sasanqua in my garden. K10D and Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Tele-Macro 1:2 in Macro mode. I have had this lens for 12 years and it still performs well IMHO. PP in Photoshop CC.

It’s not even a teenager yet , Mr Allen.

Pretty.
03-28-2021, 08:27 PM   #6900
Veteran Member

That image is really nicely done.. backlit but also well exposed to the front. Beautifully captured. I would not mind that flower in my Gardens.
AL