Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12492 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2021, 10:39 AM   #7156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Oh NO!
Fell apart? You must tell us the rest of the story, please.
This lens had been having alot of issues with autofocus.. the Af engages by pulling a Ring forward. Recently it got stuck alot.. then there was a bit of wobble starting mid way thru the lens.. I had alot of inquiries out there with places to get it looked at but it was either astronomical cost or they would not touch it. The AF was failing as well... I decided to just use it until I couldnt. Yesterday the lens literally fell into two parts.. best I can tell us its held together by 4? Tiny screws mid section and they let go.. the "wobble" was probably one or two screws fell out. Yesterday the Af ring got stuck.. I tried to free it and snap.. the thing fell apart in my hands.. a few screws and other tiny bits went flying into the marsh.. I caught the front half before it hit but its not going back together... I will save the parts for when I find an affordable used replacement... I know I will buy another one first chance I get.
Al

05-24-2021, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #7157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
This lens had been having alot of issues with autofocus.. the Af engages by pulling a Ring forward. Recently it got stuck alot.. then there was a bit of wobble starting mid way thru the lens.. I had alot of inquiries out there with places to get it looked at but it was either astronomical cost or they would not touch it. The AF was failing as well... I decided to just use it until I couldnt. Yesterday the lens literally fell into two parts.. best I can tell us its held together by 4? Tiny screws mid section and they let go.. the "wobble" was probably one or two screws fell out. Yesterday the Af ring got stuck.. I tried to free it and snap.. the thing fell apart in my hands.. a few screws and other tiny bits went flying into the marsh.. I caught the front half before it hit but its not going back together... I will save the parts for when I find an affordable used replacement... I know I will buy another one first chance I get.
Al
That is amazing- you really "wore out" a lens!

But it sounds like you got your money's worth from it.
05-24-2021, 01:27 PM - 6 Likes   #7158
Veteran Member

Al
that was a good lens.

---------- Post added 05-24-21 at 04:28 PM ----------

smc 100/ 4 macro.

i think this is honeysuckle , after all .... yes ?
05-24-2021, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #7159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bittersweet image here...

Red Wing Blackbird

It was my go to for a very long time but had been in decline the last few years.. I will definitely miss it.

al

K10D X F*300
Oh, that is sad. Cling on to those memories. I feel for your loss as I know that I would not like to lose a favourite lens.

05-24-2021, 03:46 PM - 8 Likes   #7160
Veteran Member

Thanks Everyone, I am missing it already. I did some searches looking at whats available out there used..not much and what is is a bit steeply pricely. I will have to be patient. For now I think my Sigma 300 Telemacro 1:4 will have to keep the K10D company. They get along well.

Purple Clematis

Al

---------- Post added 05-24-21 at 03:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
that was a good lens.

---------- Post added 05-24-21 at 04:28 PM ----------

smc 100/ 4 macro.

i think this is honeysuckle , after all .... yes ?
yes looks it to me.

Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-24-2021 at 04:47 PM.
05-25-2021, 09:04 AM - 6 Likes   #7161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bench with a view...DA18-135 on K10D:
05-25-2021, 12:00 PM - 8 Likes   #7162
Veteran Member

....Sometimes all you see is a Blurr of feathers!

Bluebird Blur

k10 X sigma 300mm telemacro

al

05-26-2021, 04:56 AM - 3 Likes   #7163
Veteran Member

....Sometimes all you see is a Blurr of feathers!

Bluebird Blur

k10 X sigma 300mm telemacro

al
that's a cool shot, bluebird and what ? must be feeding babies ?

---------- Post added 05-26-21 at 08:04 AM ----------

smc 100/4 macro.

---------- Post added 05-26-21 at 08:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
bench with a view...DA18-135 on K10D:
that's not Texas ?
05-26-2021, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #7164
Veteran Member

that's a cool shot, bluebird and what ? must be feeding babies ?
Thanks Glinda.. i think its a june bug.. they should start popping out of the ground now.. big beetles. Whoever gets that to eat has a meal fit for a king I think.
05-26-2021, 09:39 AM - 6 Likes   #7165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that's not Texas ?
Afraid not. It could conceivably have been taken on the Gulf Coast, although that area is a bit flatter than SoCal.

At the Botanical Gardens, Grapevine TX. Sigma 17-70 DC Macro on K10D:

Last edited by paulh; 05-26-2021 at 09:51 AM.
05-26-2021, 09:54 AM - 5 Likes   #7166
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Afraid not. It could conceivably have been taken on the Gulf Coast, although that area is a bit flatter than SoCal.

At the Botanical Gardens, Grapevine TX. Sigma 17-70 DC Macro on K10D:

I would love to have that in my yard!
al

---------- Post added 05-26-21 at 10:02 AM ----------

Heres a few of an industrious Bald Face Hornet. I didn't have the heart to tell her yet though that shes building without a permit..in a zone thats clearly not approved for Hornet Domiciles. Additionally she paid no attention to the close proximity of other structures...namely my house. That nest will need to be moved and theres no way I am giving her a zoning variance! I've had run ins with these kinds of tenants before and it always leads to benedryl and icepacks!

Bald Face Hornet nest

Bald Face Hornet nest

Bald Face Hornet nest

al

K10D X FA100 Macro 2.8 and Pentax HD TC

Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-26-2021 at 10:05 AM.
05-26-2021, 03:10 PM   #7167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would love to have that in my yard!al
Wouldn't that be cool?

---------- Post added 05-26-21 at 05:11 PM ----------

I've had run ins with these kinds of tenants before and it always leads to benedryl and icepacks!
Yup, they are not to be trifled with!
05-27-2021, 03:31 PM - 7 Likes   #7168
Veteran Member

Tair 300mm

I recently bought a box of old gear on ebay, It was a big gamble as the description was pretty vague, but it was cheap cheap cheap.. I figured there must have been something I could play with.. and there was. a few decent lens and here, an old Russian Tair 300 mm... optically its great..Mechanically, The aperture is bit quirky but I can work around until I take it apart and see whats up. I have a nice copy of this lens already but GBA always kicks in . Put it on the K10D for a couple of pics ... These are hand held shots , next time out will use at least a monopod...its n ot heavy but its bulky and the the focus wheel on the bottom is awkward to use hand held.

Candle in the wind

Nuthatch

al

K10D X Russian Tair 300mm m42
05-28-2021, 01:11 AM - 3 Likes   #7169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently bought a box of old gear on ebay, It was a big gamble as the description was pretty vague, but it was cheap cheap cheap.. I figured there must have been something I could play with.. and there was. a few decent lens and here, an old Russian Tair 300 mm... optically its great..Mechanically, The aperture is bit quirky but I can work around until I take it apart and see whats up. I have a nice copy of this lens already but GBA always kicks in . Put it on the K10D for a couple of pics ... These are hand held shots , next time out will use at least a monopod...its n ot heavy but its bulky and the the focus wheel on the bottom is awkward to use hand held.
Those results show that it is worth putting in the extra effort to work with it.
05-28-2021, 05:51 AM - 6 Likes   #7170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Those results show that it is worth putting in the extra effort to work with it.
Thanks Ray. Yes I do agree. For its age its really nice glass.

Heres a red wing blackbird in flight taken with A sigma telemacro 300mm..
Red wing in flight

K10d x sigma telemacro 300mm

Al

Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-28-2021 at 06:01 AM.