Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2021, 04:14 PM - 2 Likes   #7186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Robber Fly ????
They really are nice! - I've had some success identifying insects using this site;

A Community for Naturalists · iNaturalist

It's a citizen science thing, so quite free. If you open an account you can upload your photos, and pinpoint where they were taken on a map, and then it will suggest a list of possible matches based on visual similarity and previous sightings in that area among other things. You can go ahead from there and save your record or discard it. If you save it people interested in that species or location will often verify your identification, or suggest another based on what they already know.

06-03-2021, 04:24 AM - 6 Likes   #7187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Not bad at all for ISO 1600. Really good macro images. TFS.
Thanks Ray! Appreciate the comments there!

---------- Post added 06-03-21 at 04:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rjbrett Quote
They really are nice! - I've had some success identifying insects using this site;

A Community for Naturalists · iNaturalist

It's a citizen science thing, so quite free. If you open an account you can upload your photos, and pinpoint where they were taken on a map, and then it will suggest a list of possible matches based on visual similarity and previous sightings in that area among other things. You can go ahead from there and save your record or discard it. If you save it people interested in that species or location will often verify your identification, or suggest another based on what they already know.
Thanks Richard for the comments. Great suggestion also for the ID. That looks like a great site. I like the fact that they are gathering data on the critters too. Unfortunatel[y Insects don't get much respect! I have a ton of books and keys here but it takes so long when there are just so many insects out there. I will have to give this site a try .

thanks again,

al

ps... I just tried that site and thats really cool. Upload the pic and it gives you suggestion as to what it be. Really cool.

using that site...

Probably Genus Tritoxa spp.

Genus Tritoxa ???

Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-03-2021 at 05:10 AM.
06-03-2021, 07:43 AM - 9 Likes   #7188
Pentaxian

43 sharp at 3.5

06-03-2021, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #7189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
43 sharp at 3.5
Thats one really pretty picture!

al

06-03-2021, 09:25 AM - 4 Likes   #7190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice images (of course!) on this page

Shade seeker - DA16-45/4 on K10D:
06-03-2021, 03:39 PM - 4 Likes   #7191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gives you suggestion
I don't always get a specific match I can agree with, but usually get far enough into the ball park for my immediate purposes with a genus, or in the case of this Emerald Moth, a family (Geomitridae) or subfamily (Geometrinae). I have also had people in the know on local species come in and make a positive and specific identification when I couldn't but have saved the record anyway. Pentax K10d & SMC DFA 50mm f2.8 Macro;

Keys are slow, I agree, if methodical and thorough. I've used botanical keys before but only have a high level one in a textbook for insects. Haven't tried using it yet, but have always thought it would be a good way to learn my way around insect anatomy.

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
43 sharp at 3.5
That is sharp isn''t it ? - haven't quite got the hang of my 43 yet. It'll come.

Last edited by rjbrett; 06-03-2021 at 04:47 PM.
06-04-2021, 07:37 AM   #7192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Adelaide, South Australia: Don't tell anyone how good it is, please.
Photos: Albums
Hey guys, I got a K10D a while back, then I seen a K20D bundle, with the battery grip, which I ended up winning. Trouble is, when I take the battery grip off the K20D, the battery terminal cap is missing: Any one know where I can find one (I assume K20 and K10 have the same cap), either in Australia, or world wide shipping would be best.
Want to keep the weather sealing, as I'll be able to use these as 'beater' camera's. NO, I will not be abusing them, just want to use them for things like thunderstorms etc, where using more expensive stuff doesn't make sense given the bargain prices I've picked these up for.

06-04-2021, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #7193
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rjbrett Quote
That is sharp isn''t it ? - haven't quite got the hang of my 43 yet. It'll come.
It is! I mentioned it just cause the 43 is underestimated, even more so on a 10MP sensor. I always had trouble with autofocusing (not sure if it back/front focuses) with it, so it always made me think it's not a sharp lens too - but manual focusing tells me a different story!

Lovely butterfly!

Z
06-04-2021, 10:01 AM   #7194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aussie Matt Quote
Hey guys, I got a K10D a while back, then I seen a K20D bundle, with the battery grip, which I ended up winning. Trouble is, when I take the battery grip off the K20D, the battery terminal cap is missing: Any one know where I can find one (I assume K20 and K10 have the same cap), either in Australia, or world wide shipping would be best.
Want to keep the weather sealing, as I'll be able to use these as 'beater' camera's. NO, I will not be abusing them, just want to use them for things like thunderstorms etc, where using more expensive stuff doesn't make sense given the bargain prices I've picked these up for.
Just in case you aren't already aware.. That battery terminal cover is usually stored on the grip when the grip is attached....is it not there? you might post an ad here...Wanted Items - PentaxForums.com maybe someone has one.

al
06-04-2021, 01:46 PM - 8 Likes   #7195
Veteran Member

K10D X F*300 ( My new "old" lens) A few weeks ago my favorite lens gave up the ghost.. By chance I was able to replace it... and I am Sooooooo Happy!

White Breasted Nuthatch

White Breasted Nuthatch[/url]

al
06-04-2021, 11:04 PM - 8 Likes   #7196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Handheld 3 shot panorama near susnet with my K10D and M24 f3.5, taken last week.
Kristian
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
06-05-2021, 12:05 AM - 7 Likes   #7197

Hi all, here is my first post to the K10D club! I took this picture last Tuesday with the SMC-DA 18-55 AL II kit lens. The kit lens is the only autofocus lens I have and it's very enjoyable to use, especially in Hyper-Program mode.

QuoteQuote:
Handheld 3 shot panorama near susnet with my K10D and M24 f3.5, taken last week.
Kristian
Really nice view and vivid colours.
06-05-2021, 05:39 AM   #7198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Adelaide, South Australia: Don't tell anyone how good it is, please.
Just in case you aren't already aware.. That battery terminal cover is usually stored on the grip when the grip is attached....is it not there? you might post an ad here...Wanted Items - PentaxForums.com maybe someone has one.

al
Yes, I have checked that, no luck. It came in a huge bag, with goodies, but I've dug right through it, and it's not there
06-05-2021, 09:43 AM - 2 Likes   #7199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By chance I was able to replace it... and I am Sooooooo Happy!
Wonderful shot, and congrats! Lovely scene and lighting, @turbo_bird. Welcome, @artrasa!

From early Spring 2018 - F35-70 on K10D:
06-05-2021, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #7200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by artrasa Quote
Hi all, here is my first post to the K10D club! I took this picture last Tuesday with the SMC-DA 18-55 AL II kit lens. The kit lens is the only autofocus lens I have and it's very enjoyable to use, especially in Hyper-Program mode.

Really nice view and vivid colours.
They are singing!