Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12504 Likes Search this Thread
08-09-2022, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #8071
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JensMA Quote
Horsing around with my new (to me) K10d and produced such stuff. I think I can somewhat understand what the fuss is about.

Just need to push over the user threshold, it is somewhat old and "odd" compared to what I am used to.
I hope you get used to the look. If not, no harm, no foul, just pass it on

08-10-2022, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #8072

Photos: Albums
Having horsed around with the K10D for a few days with the kit zoom 18-55 mkI. These are as far as I know, not regarded as the sharpest tools in the drawers so I have just been mucking about with it.

I took delivery of a second hand 50mm f:1,4 today. As one do on new lens day, I fired up the K10D and shot some stuff indoors, and lo and behold, softness galore. The camera seems to be back focusing quite a bit. The head picture (underneath) had a solid AF lock on the left eye, but what is actual sharp is the hairline. I will try it out in a more controlled environment with tripod and such, but it was an interesting find.

I had put the perceived softness of the earlier days onto the zoom, it being known to "soft" being a factor in my assessment, but the 50 should fare better, even fully open, or perhaps especially fully open. I think it wouldn't necessarily be so out in the open, so to speak with a deeper field of view or with a less close-up/detailed shot.

Taking it out for some General Purpose photography later and will see what I find, then.

Having had a browse on this forum, I found this: Fixing the K10D Back-focusing AF Issue – Scott's Photography Banzai in regards to doing the necessary correction, so will try my hand at the fix somewhere down the road. I have the 21/f:3.2 inbound second hand and have musings about the AF35/f:2.0 for the classic trio of primes with an outlier in the Lim 70/f2:4.

This should give me 31.5/52.5/75 mm or 35/50/75 equivalent set up and should be more than enough for a "second" tier sensor trial (and error) system and somewhere beyond the horizon, a 105mm.

A bit to late, I finally grasped onto the idea that if I had built it around M42 Takumars, I would have been left with a lens system that would have been adaptable to every vintage Dslr I would ever fancy, but hey-ho, that is a plan that will hold for the forseeable future. The K10d is, if I understand it correctly, somewhat iffy to be manually focused anyway, which is what tilted me towards the AFs in the first place.

It does make me wonder if the same problem was present in the K7 as well? I came back into hobby level photography with that and the AW kit zooms, but I never really bonded with it as such.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
08-10-2022, 11:15 AM - 3 Likes   #8073
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having horsed around with the K10D for a few days with the kit zoom 18-55 mkI. These are as far as I know, not regarded as the sharpest tools in the drawers so I have just been mucking about with it.

I took delivery of a second hand 50mm f:1,4 today. As one do on new lens day, I fired up the K10D and shot some stuff indoors, and lo and behold, softness galore. The camera seems to be back focusing quite a bit. The head picture (underneath) had a solid AF lock on the left eye, but what is actual sharp is the hairline. I will try it out in a more controlled environment with tripod and such, but it was an interesting find.

I had put the perceived softness of the earlier days onto the zoom, it being known to "soft" being a factor in my assessment, but the 50 should fare better, even fully open, or perhaps especially fully open. I think it wouldn't necessarily be so out in the open, so to speak with a deeper field of view or with a less close-up/detailed shot.

Taking it out for some General Purpose photography later and will see what I find, then.

Having had a browse on this forum, I found this: Fixing the K10D Back-focusing AF Issue – Scott's Photography Banzai in regards to doing the necessary correction, so will try my hand at the fix somewhere down the road. I have the 21/f:3.2 inbound second hand and have musings about the AF35/f:2.0 for the classic trio of primes with an outlier in the Lim 70/f2:4.

This should give me 31.5/52.5/75 mm or 35/50/75 equivalent set up and should be more than enough for a "second" tier sensor trial (and error) system and somewhere beyond the horizon, a 105mm.

A bit to late, I finally grasped onto the idea that if I had built it around M42 Takumars, I would have been left with a lens system that would have been adaptable to every vintage Dslr I would ever fancy, but hey-ho, that is a plan that will hold for the forseeable future. The K10d is, if I understand it correctly, somewhat iffy to be manually focused anyway, which is what tilted me towards the AFs in the first place.

It does make me wonder if the same problem was present in the K7 as well? I came back into hobby level photography with that and the AW kit zooms, but I never really bonded with it as such.
I had the same issue when I got my K10D this year, but after I followed the instructions for focus correction using only one prime wide open it has been working fine with the rest of the lenses I have.
You should do it to enjoy your camera and not get frustrated.
08-10-2022, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #8074

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
I had the same issue when I got my K10D this year, but after I followed the instructions for focus correction using only one prime wide open it has been working fine with the rest of the lenses I have.
You should do it to enjoy your camera and not get frustrated.
No frustrations, just observations.

Thanks for the tip of doing the one lens adjustment, gives me something to tinker with over the weekend.

08-10-2022, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #8075
Pentaxian

No frustrations, just observations.

Thanks for the tip of doing the one lens adjustment, gives me something to tinker with over the weekend.
Indeed the tinkering can be very rewarding. I had to put a +270 focus correction on my K10D and I'm very pleased with it now.

In regards to manual focus lenses, the question is - do you want live view? If you don't need it, the K10D is perfectly fine for manual lenses and quite a few members here use it that way. I'm one of them. I could not be bothered to focus something on a screen, I'll focus with me viewfinder, thank you very much.
08-10-2022, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #8076

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
In regards to manual focus lenses, the question is - do you want live view?
The rest of the lot has Live view. I am rather heavy into M43s, especially Lumix, so I can do without on this one.

Bought it on a whim, stumbling over a bundled pack with the camera, the 18-55 and a Lowepro Slingshot 100AW and the sundries for less than 60 bucks shipped.

Having heard nice things on the K10d sensor and have some small sensor CCDs from other brands, which I like the output from. I also shot Pentax for some years in the 80s, dabbed with a Spotmatic in school and bought a K7 in 09, I thought I would dip into the brand again, as some sort of a hobby within a hobby.

I am somewhat pondering using it as it as a deliberate "slow camera", something that rides in the pack or mounted on a tripod, when out and about.
08-12-2022, 01:40 PM - 4 Likes   #8077
Pentaxian

K10D with the HD DA 18-50mm. HD coatings and K10D (and I guess CCD in general) are an explosive combination, the colors really jump at you.
On the table you can see some of the photo books I've been printing through the years.

[url=https://postimg.cc/xXwnF6Kt][/u

08-19-2022, 12:07 AM - 5 Likes   #8078
Pentaxian

Her Majesty The QUEEN 's Platinum Jubilee Celebration party -- i looked out my 2007 K10D !
The Old Soldier HIMSELF taken by a Friend

My FILIPINA WIFE ( In RED ON THE LEFT and Kids with Friends
08-19-2022, 01:33 AM   #8079
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpete Quote
Her Majesty The QUEEN 's Platinum Jubilee Celebration party -- i looked out my 2007 K10D !
The Old Soldier HIMSELF taken by a Friend

My FILIPINA WIFE ( In RED ON THE LEFT and Kids with Friends
Long time since I've seen a post from you. Looks like everyone had a fun day.
08-22-2022, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #8080
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

City Hall in Fillmore, Calif. DA18-55 on K10D
08-25-2022, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #8081
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Deserted station - Fillmore Calif. DA18-55 on K10D

08-27-2022, 01:04 AM - 3 Likes   #8082
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Early rain through tinted glass, Pentax K10d & Asanuma 135mm f2.8;

08-31-2022, 09:11 AM   #8083
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

House on the corner in TX - DA18-55 on K10D
09-03-2022, 05:50 AM   #8084
Veteran Member

m 135/3.5
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
09-08-2022, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #8085
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-10 No. 1 with

the Leica 35-70mm f 4.0 vario-Elmar-R macro 1:2.6.

(I have two K-10s, K-10 No.1, a fully functioning camera prepared to take any K-mount lens; also K-10 No. 2, a great K-10 which I have owned since this camera was first introduced to the market. My oldes K-10 works perfectly except for the AF function, which is inoperative, making it the perfect camera for M42 lenses. This camera has the M43-K-mount adapter permanenly installed and ready to host my Takumar and Pancolor lenses and a few others as well.)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo