Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #1

Transferring images up to Android devices

Hi folks, I have a K5 and usually transfer my images straight to my laptop. Recently I bought an Android tablet and it only has a micro USB connection. Does anyone know if I can simply use a USB to micro USB converter then plug my K5 straight into my tablet?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

11-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It depends on the tablet, some support USB host mode, many don't. If yours does support it, you can use a simple cable like this one:
Amazon.com: eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter compatible with Samsung

The camera will need to be set to MSC mode so it shows up like a thumbdrive.
11-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It depends on whether the device supports USB On-The-Go (OTG). If so, then you can use a third-party app to transfer files over USB using an appropriate cable.

I personally use a Kingston MobileLite Wireless (model MLW221) for wireless transfer of files from my camera to my Nexus 7. The device runs for about five hours on a charge, and is used with an app to transfer files from and to flash drives and SD cards. You can also read data from the MLW through a web browser if you know the IP address of the device, and it can also act as an SD card reader for PCs. It's not the fastest device, being limited to Wi-Fi speeds, and it will take a while to transfer large amounts of data, but it gets the job done.

(Of note is a bug in older firmware versions that causes transfers of large files (>32 MB) to an attached USB flash drive or SD card to fail, requiring the MLW to be reset. Transfers from a flash drive or SD card are unaffected. I've been in touch with Kingston technical support with this issue, and the bug seems to be fixed with the latest firmware.)

--DragonLord
11-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If it is of any interest I've just checked my K-3 and the USB connection works perfectly with my Samsung Galaxy Note.

My K-r also works well whereas the K-30 does work but very slowly. However the K-30 is just as slow even with a PC.

11-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't own an OTG enabled device, so I use a microSD to SD adapter.
11-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You could also use an Eye-fi card, they can be programmed to upload JPEG and Raw (if you get certain models) automatically.
11-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #7

With the "USB connection kit plus" for a galaxy tab 2, when the camera is plugged in it comes up with Camera Importer and all works fine. I never thought of trying this until you mentioned it today. - Thanks for asking.
11-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
It depends on whether the device supports USB On-The-Go (OTG). If so, then you can use a third-party app to transfer files over USB using an appropriate cable.

I personally use a Kingston MobileLite Wireless (model MLW221) for wireless transfer of files from my camera to my Nexus 7. The device runs for about five hours on a charge, and is used with an app to transfer files from and to flash drives and SD cards. You can also read data from the MLW through a web browser if you know the IP address of the device, and it can also act as an SD card reader for PCs. It's not the fastest device, being limited to Wi-Fi speeds, and it will take a while to transfer large amounts of data, but it gets the job done.

(Of note is a bug in older firmware versions that causes transfers of large files (>32 MB) to an attached USB flash drive or SD card to fail, requiring the MLW to be reset. Transfers from a flash drive or SD card are unaffected. I've been in touch with Kingston technical support with this issue, and the bug seems to be fixed with the latest firmware.)

--DragonLord
Thanks folks.