Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #1

Pentax K10D internal shifting?

I just purchased a Pentax K10d used online, and when I got it something seemed odd to me, and I was wondering if anyone else could tell me if this is normal or not. When I tilt the camera sideways, something heavy shifts slightly to the side inside the camera. If I tilt it the other way, it slides back. I have no idea what it is, and it doesn't seem to be affecting the function of the camera. Is it a motion sensor or something? Does this happen on all K10D's or should I send off for a different one?

It's never happened on any mechanical SLR I ever owned, so it kind of concerns me. Takes great pictures, though.

04-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Quite normal. It's the internal Shake Reduction. It's like a little gyro and can make a little 'shaking' sensation when the camera is rocked.
Not to worry, very normal.
04-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
Even when the camera's not on?
04-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
Quite normal. It's the internal Shake Reduction. It's like a little gyro and can make a little 'shaking' sensation when the camera is rocked.
Not to worry, very normal.
Actually it's the whole sensor plate (with the SR) that moves, but yeah, there's no need to worry. The dust removal at startup scares me much more.

04-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by generalklagg Quote
Even when the camera's not on?
Especially when the camera is not on Fear not, go shoot some pics!
04-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #6

Original Poster
I compared the internal shifting in my camera to some display models at a local electronics store, and you guys were exactly right. Thanks for the help!