Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Back in the Saddle (so to speak)

The K10D was a marvelous camera....but for me and others, there were some deficiencies which hampered shooting (particularly at weddings)...but that's not my point.

For the past year I have been shooting Nikon. First with D80's and now with D300's. I have had good experiences, though the D80 did not quite live up to my expectations and I ALWAYS regretted selling my K10D's and lenses. Foolish me.

There wasn't a photo shoot that went by that I did not lament over how this might have looked with my 43mm or my 77mm and the K10D. The vibrancy of the colors, the wonderful quality and build of the camera and lenses....all missed.

And so, we fast forward to this morning, when after selling my last D80, I determined that I would again have a Pentax. This time a K20D. I know that I will enjoy this camera as much as I did my K10D, and it will make a marvelous companion to my D300.

The D300 comes very close to the look and feel of the photos I took with my K10D, BUT Nikon does not have a set of nice SMALL primes like Pentax...and I always missed that.

My D300 is a necessity for my Photography, but so is my Pentax. So now, I am a dual shooter.

Lucky me.

04-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Welcome back!

I'll be very interested to hear your observations about the K20d and the D300. I've been sitting on the fence but may just wait for a k3d in September!

My K10d and lenses were stolen in December and I just got enough money to replace the K10d body (second hand). When the price of the K20d comes down, I may just be tempted... The images I'm seeing these days from the K20d do exceed what I see from the K10d.

Thanks,

Frank.
04-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice to hear from you again and lucky you to have two excellent systems at your finger tips. Honestly I've thought about this myself a little. A camera that can handle wilflife/action shooting and a couple of long lenses and a Pentax with lenses below 200mm for everthing else.

I'll wait a bit longer to see what the next generation offers for AF and FPS. It seems they have everything else well covered in the new K20D
04-04-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome back, PS! I, too, was a dual brand shooter for several years (Pentax film and Nikon digital). I got frustrated with some of the limitations of the Nikon (miss the great flash system, though) and have been happy to upgrade to the K10D. What works for you and what makes you smile is what you should own and shoot, IMO.

04-04-2008, 05:09 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Agree with you about the excellent "look" of nice Pentax lenses (especially the primes, but also the 50-135mm) I'm with Canon now, and while my lenses aren't exactly slouches, I do miss my FAs and my DA*

Perfect camera system -
K10D body
Stablized D3 sensor (I'd settle for the 5D if I had to )
Canon's AF system
Pentax optics gerry-rigged into a ring-USM lens

I can always dream
04-04-2008, 06:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
first impressions

I'm thinking I would have been just as happy with the K10 as the 20d
but we'll see after I shoot some photos.

The shutter does not seem to be as quiet as everyone has stated.

Build quality and feel are the same as the 10d

Ready to go shooting now......
04-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The shutter is definitely snappier than the K10D. I shoot my K10D less now. But not because it's noticeably inferior. Its just that with the grip on the K20D, it feels more comfortable in my hand.