Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #1

ME Super lenses with a digital body? - Is it possible?

Hello all..... I'm a newbie just joined today and I have a question. I have 2 Pentax ME Super bodies with a selection of Pentax, Tamron and Vivitar lenses. I am looking to buy my first Digital SLR and wonder if there is a Pentax (or other DS) that I can still use these lenses with? If the answer is yes, then are there any other technical things I need to know, EG: any limitaions or such like using old manual lenses with a Digital cameras? I am looking to spend £500 or preferably less on decent camera over 8 mpx. Im an ex pro and I mostly do people and landscapes and lots of experimental stuff, some of which I will post here when time is right. Thank you for reading this and thank you in advance for any (and all) advice that you may have for me. Have a happy day.....Max

04-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Forum Member

Hey,
The main reason I switched to Pentax is that almost all pentax lenses ever made are compatible with their DSLR's. Even screw mount lenses can work with a 30-40 dollar adapter.
All of your lenses should work with a K-series DSLR, but for the M lenses it will only meter for wide open, also no AF for these. For A lenses pretty much everything but autofocus will work.
Have fun,
ranamar
-On my k10d, I use a SMC M-1:2 50mm, I think the same lens supplied with the Me Super, and besides the mentioned metering issues, it works great.
I may even be wrong about the metering, but this is what I was told.
04-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Max Quote
Hello all..... I'm a newbie just joined today and I have a question. I have 2 Pentax ME Super bodies with a selection of Pentax, Tamron and Vivitar lenses. I am looking to buy my first Digital SLR and wonder if there is a Pentax (or other DS) that I can still use these lenses with? If the answer is yes, then are there any other technical things I need to know, EG: any limitaions or such like using old manual lenses with a Digital cameras? I am looking to spend £500 or preferably less on decent camera over 8 mpx. Im an ex pro and I mostly do people and landscapes and lots of experimental stuff, some of which I will post here when time is right. Thank you for reading this and thank you in advance for any (and all) advice that you may have for me. Have a happy day.....Max
I use 30 year old M series lenses on my K10D. Every Pentax dSLR can handle them. They will not expose in automatic exposure (and obviously, are manual focus as well), but will expose just fine in manual mode (M on the mode dial). Check out the threads on this forum after you get your dSLR to check out the procedure with your particular camera.
04-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have one AF lens...check my sig for the rest of the...uhh...family

04-03-2008, 03:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ranamar Quote
Hey,
The main reason I switched to Pentax is that almost all pentax lenses ever made are compatible with their DSLR's. Even screw mount lenses can work with a 30-40 dollar adapter.
All of your lenses should work with a K-series DSLR, but for the M lenses it will only meter for wide open, also no AF for these. For A lenses pretty much everything but autofocus will work.
Have fun,
ranamar
-On my k10d, I use a SMC M-1:2 50mm, I think the same lens supplied with the Me Super, and besides the mentioned metering issues, it works great.
I may even be wrong about the metering, but this is what I was told.
You are semi-wrong about the metering. Metering with M lenses on DSLRs can be done....just not automatically. You gotta go mashy-mashy on a button.
04-03-2008, 05:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ranamar Quote
Only partially correct and applies to Av mode only. In M mode though there are other options: (a) DOF stops down the lens and activates continuous metering so that you can adjust both shutter speed (using camera dial) or aperture (using lens aperture ring) for desired exposure; or (b) by pressing AE-L (is it the Green Button on K10/20?) camera automatically stops down the lens and sets shutter speed based on manually set aperture. In both cases camera actually meters the real light passing through stopped down lens, while with A and newer lenses camera recalculates Tv without stopping down based on Av setting and lens aperture range information -- that's what most of those contacts are for).

Note: This assumes that camera is set to Shift Tv on AE-L (Green) which I use. I think this setting is in the custom menu.
04-03-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
Banned

like Ivan and Mike said you can properly meter with a M lens just fine, it just wont do it for you is all.