Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #1

What's your Program Line set to?

What does everyone have their program line set at, and why? How often (if ever) do you change your Program Line? Any best practices out there?

To anyone who's new, I'll share what I myself just learned tonight (p 145 in manual), and what prompted me to ask:
The Program Line is set in the Custom Settings Menu. It's used to "prioritize" when in Green or P modes. In those modes, the camera is doing some thinking for you, so you are telling it how to prioritize things .. here are the options:
> Normal ..normal basic exposure
> Hi Speed...Prioritizes high shutter speeds
> Depth...Prioritizes lower aperture
> MTF...prioritizes aperture setting according to the lens being used (only some lenses, see manual for specifics)

To me, this seems that it can make a significant difference in P mode .. but it also seems a lot to remember to go in and change it.

Last edited by deludel; 04-02-2008 at 09:06 PM. Reason: formatting error
04-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

MTF here. If I'm ever lazy enough to let it pick exposures for me I might as well have it pick the best ones.
04-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have my program line set to "normal" (and the e-dials set for hyper shift, for P mode)

Then I have my SV mode set with the forward e-dial set to "program shift".

That way I can indirectly change the program line on the fly. (actually shifts the program "mix" of aperture/shutter) while in SV mode, and still have the Hyper mode in P mode. I don't use the MTF feature.
04-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know what's funny about this question? Oh MTF Btw but I ignore it mostly.
It's that these cameras are so customizable that even though we are all familiar with them, If you grabbed mine, it would take a few minutes to use it correctly. If I grabbed yours, the same thing would happen to me.

I've had mine set up a certain way for a while and changed things around last month. I was so mixed up while shooting in a hurry (trying some deer shots) that I switched the settings back to the previous setup.

04-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
Inactive Account

What be the "Program Line" ye speak of?
04-03-2008, 01:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a K10D K20D thing where the auto everything mode has a choice of setup as outlined in the first post.

As I've just got my K20D I haven't yet decided what I'll put that mode in. As I can see myself leaving it in P mode for general shooting and adjusting speed and aperture via the dials I don't think it'll really matter what mode I choose. The only time it will be used fully auto is when someone else is using it.
04-03-2008, 01:51 AM   #7

MTF always - it gives you a good base line when you hit Mr Green from which to adjust to your optimum exposure settings.

04-03-2008, 06:33 AM   #8

MTF

MTF actually works and is very handy on those lens that it supports, especially zooms. I can actually see the difference in the prints between normal and MTF using my Pentax 18-250 when I use P mode.
04-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
You know what's funny about this question? It's that these cameras are so customizable that even though we are all familiar with them, If you grabbed mine, it would take a few minutes to use it correctly. If I grabbed yours, the same thing would happen to me.
Good point Peter .. the scary thing is, when you are new and are learning/playing with all these settings ... you lose track of what you've set/how!! It takes a while to learn your way out of that situation. I know you can "reset" in the menus, but that is equally as scary, because it may reset something you dont realize you were depending on!
04-04-2008, 01:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Normal program line, but I set MTF program line in USER mode, so I've got two available with a quick analog setting change.
04-06-2008, 01:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Does anyone know if the program line is set to MTF, and the camera is used with a non-MTF lens, does it default to normal?

Kind of makes me think that if this is the case, why would you not want to leave it on MTF?