Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-x Battery life with Li AAs

Hi,

I got a K-x from the marketplace a few weeks ago to be used mainly as a High ISO companion to my K20D and K100DS. Since it uses AA batteries, I was a bit concerned about its battery performance as I was going to use it in a hi paced ballet recital where there is no time to blink, much less change batteries.
So I tested it with regular alkaline AA and was not impressed. My rechargable AAs were not much better. (I plan to get some Eneloops soon).
So I went the safest route for the event and bought 2 sets of Energizer Ultimate Lithiums. Not cheap (about $3 each) but it seemed to be the best alternative.
In the recital, I went power saving mode just in case: No LCD preview (with the fast pace it was not useful as I never took the eye away from the viewfinder anyways), no LCD info screen, of course no flash (DUH!!), even the power indicator next to the on/off switch was disabled.
To my surprise, after 3 shows in 36 hours and 2800 pictures later, the first set of Li are still not only alive, but showing more than half charge left!!! I'm really impressed with those batteries. I suppose they should work wonders on power hungry flashes.
I plan to get Eneloops for the convenience of rechargables but I highly recommend these Lithium batteries.

Thanks,

11-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The Energizer Ultimate Lithiums were great for me in my K-x. Far better than the rechargeable ones, but then there IS the expense if having to keep buying them.

The battery indicator was a little flaky on mine -- full to half charge took forever, then half to dead battery went much faster. Keep a spare set handy in your bag. The "dead" partially charged batteries were good around my house for things like LED lights that don't need much energy.
11-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

I had a K100D which used rechargeable AAs. It was a nightmare. Firstly pretty much every AA charger you can buy in the high street is rubbish. I investigated these thoroughly and came to this conclusion. Major fault of many is they do not switch off when the battery is charged. This ends up damaging the battery. Second fault (for those that charge more than one at a time) is that the charger switches off (if it switches off - see previous point) when the first battery (of say 4) is charged. The others may still not be fully charged! I ended up paying 60-00 for a 4 x AA charger with totally independent charging circuits for each battery and all sorts of other tests and functions you can perform to get the best out of them. This seemed to be OK. But only just. Also I find rechargeable AA's terrible in cold weather. BUT the problem was solved (as you have found out) by paying the extra for Lithiums. Fantastic. Never looked back after that. But then I got a K5 and gave the K100D to my daughter. She has never reported a problem with batteries (she replaces with Lithiums).
11-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eneloops last quite a long time, but the battery indicator on my k-x was also 'a bit off' it would drop to under half pretty quickly then seem to shoot forever!

11-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Iirc, there was a problem with the earlier firmware versions that affected how the camera reported battery status & when the cam shut down with "dead" batteries.
11-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used rechargables for a while on my K-x, but found out that if I used the flash, life would be short, and I'd better have some spares nearby.

I went to Sam's club and purchased a 12 pack of Lithiums for ~$15. I used the first 4 for MANY months.
I replaced the 4 when I went on vacation for 2 weeks, and still never depleted them.
The use of flash/live view/video will drain them, but nowhere near as fast as rechargables.

For some general use - when going on a long shoot or you'll be away from a charger/store - bring a set of Lithiums. Purchase at Wal-Mart/Sam's club - and they'll last a LONG time.
Great for emergencies, and they don't deplete quickly. A set of Lithium batteries outlast my Li-Ion battery packs on my K-30.
11-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Eneloops easily 400+ shots. I've had some go almost to 1,000.

I got well over 2,000 shots with LiON.

Video and LCD viewing of course chew down the time.

Li's are my backup and travel batteries. They are also a bit lighter.