Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
50mm is pretty tight for a lot of use - I'd suggest you see how these focal lengths look on your zoom. If you have the kit 18-55 zoom you can see what 50mm and 35mm look like. Then look on Craigslist.

For general prime use, I'd really consider the DA35mm 2.4 - it's still pretty wide, and it's a nice lens. You'll more likely get more keepers with this than a manual 50 - at least at first.

11-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

just cuirious but what are you using now...assuming your daughter is young and fast
11-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's very funny. Now I use a Canon SD600 or SD750. Since used they are like disposable lighters I have 3 of them. They take excellent video as well.
I use the Pentax only for the Sleep Book (I take sleep shots I will compile them into a book years from now) and a couple other times we went places.

But I would like to start using the Pentax more. Particuarly after seeing the photos my neighbor took with his Canon (the popular one I forget the name of it).
I kinda decided I was a Pentax person early on.

11-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
My neighbor has the 1.7 actually although he said I should get the 1.4.
Why don't you ask him to let you shoot a few pictures with his 1.7 and let you decide by yourself if you really want that focal length and aperture? Given how subjective photography is, being led around is one of the quickest ways to destroy one's creativity.
11-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looking at all those photos linked above. They are all fantastic but slightly different. I looked again and again.

Overall, on average, I want to take photos that are similar to the photos of the DA35 F2.4 .

I agree now that there will be more keepers with autofocus and that is the name of the game.
11-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I asked to borrow his lens but it does not bolt up.
11-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Since you likely have the 18-55mm, put it at 50mm and walk around without changing, then try 35mm. Figure out which focal length suits you the most.

I love my 50s, I have quite a few. However, I prefer wider for a general purpose lens, right now I'm using a 24mm most of the time, but also like 28mm a lot.

11-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #24

Does your neighbor have a Minolta or Sony camera by any chance? That might explain why it would not fit.

Edit: ignore this, just saw the post where you mentioned that he has a Canon. It's time for more coffee.

Last edited by aremmes; 11-21-2013 at 11:45 AM.
11-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
Site Supporter

But I would like to start using the Pentax more. Particuarly after seeing the photos my neighbor took with his Canon (the popular one I forget the name of it).
Not sure how much experience you (or your neighbor) have so apologizes if you already knew this. The angle of view of a 50mm lens was standard in film days, the equivalent angle of view on APS-C crop sensor is about 35mm, not 50mm. So depending on which Canon your neighbor has he might be using an APS-C crop sensor (roughly the same as the Pentax) or a FF which is the same as old 135 film cameras. If he has a FF Canon then shooting with it and his 50mm will not look the same as shooting with a 50mm on the Pentax.

Also, just in case you did not get the (often overlooked) distinction: there are 50mm lens @ f/2, f/1.7, f/1.4, and f/1.2. Your neighbor says you need f/1.4 or f/1.2, which is all good, but there is no auto-focus f/1.2 available for Pentax. There are older manual focus ones but they will cost above $600 these days. I just saw one listed on ebay for $1,900 (which is silly). The f/2 manual focus ones as noted above should go for $60 or less. There are lots of Pentax F 1.7 and Pentax FA 1.4s out there used but the best value is likely the new DA 50mm f/1.8.

For static (sleep shots) with very narrow depth of focus try one of the Pentax A 50mm in either f/1.7 or f/2. For moving shots I would just get the DA version and have the auto-focus.

Your neighbor is correct that the f/1.4 and f/1.2 versions are more desirable, but they cost a lot more and unless you really need the razor thin depth of focus not worth it IMHO for just family shots.

You also mention a 'radioactive' 50mm. Be aware this is most likely an M42 mount Takumar. A very nice lens but you will need an adapter to make it work on your camera. And it will be all manual.
11-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Ummm, he has a Canon, right? It is not going to fit on your camera. You need a lens with a k-mount for Pentax. The suggestion above was to use his camera and lens to take some shots to see if you liked the lens. Mostly because since this is a fixed lens, 50mm might be too long for bedroom shots. "Zoom with your feet" is all well and good until you hit the wall with your back and you are still not far enough away.

As suggested before, put your zoom on, set it at 50mm and see if that focal length works for the shot you want to take.

And don't get hung up on the 'nifty fifty' thing. 50mm is a nice focal length and these are useful lenses but they are not magic. If you stop them down to f/8 the results will not be a huge difference from what you get from your kit zoom lens. The advantage is the small depth of focus and the ability to let in more light.
11-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
SMC DA 50mm F1.8 LENS for K-r K-5 K-30 K-01

How about that one?
I'd like to get it going in the mail today.
11-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The 50 is cheaper than the 35.
I want to be educated but I don't want to over think stuff either.
11-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #29
Inactive Account

The 50 is cheaper than the 35.
I want to be educated but I don't want to over think stuff either.
The cost is irrelevant if you don't like the 50mm focal length, have you tried using your kit zoom to get an idea of the field of view each lens will give?
11-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

I know the 50 is cheaper, and a bit faster, but I do believe that you will be happier in the long run with the DA35/2.4. It really is quite a nice lens and while f2.4 doesn't seem that fast, it is more than enough for what you want to do. Using a night lamp and ISO 640 on your camera you will find that you get very nice shots. The depth of field is not so narrow that you will have trouble focusing, but it will also give you a very nice out of focus blur in the background.