Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
1/30 at 135mm? That's one steady customer.
Not necessarily at all - with the SR on 1/30 is actually very easy to shoot steady. Here's a picture I've just taken indoors right now in fluorescent light. It is handheld, standing and not resting against anything for support - a zero effort shot and just the one try.

No PP except default sharpening and chroma NR, and lens aberration corrections.

edit: big picture was causing aggravation - made it smaller

Last edited by lister6520; 11-23-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: To make the picture smaller
11-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

And here it is taken to beyond reasonable - 500mm from further away, again 1/30s handheld with SR - first and only attempt.

Not exactly the sharpest but still sort of reasonably good if you don't pixel peep.

I don't think I can do that with the K-30 and its not here at the moment so cannot check. With the K-30 I got used to feeling safe down to about 1/200 at 500mm and 1/100 if I can lean against something for stability.

Focus is on the middle of the prickly pear bottle.

edit: big picture was causing aggravation - made it smaller

Last edited by lister6520; 11-23-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: reduce picture size
11-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Henry's should go south!

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Likewise! Pentaxforums doesn't have an emoticon equal to expressing the astonishment I feel!

Glad to year good things about Henry's as I'll soon be moving from the US to Ontario, where I'll need to find good Pentax dealers.
Would Henry's be interested in going international? Atlanta could use a good dealer!
11-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Would Henry's be interested in going international? Atlanta could use a good dealer!
Now that would worry me. In the old days Henry's was my second favourite dealer, behind Toronto Camera.I bought my original SV in 67 from Toronto Camera. Then I bought my Program Plus and Tammy 35-300 from them in maybe 1989. Toronto Camera expanded to the point they were in practically every mall and plaza in the Toronto Area. Then they went under because they over extended themselves. By the time I got my *ist, Henry's was my best option. They also have expanded to cover most of Ontario and other parts of Canada. That's good except for the part where I'd hate to see them go the way of Toronto Camera.

11-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Henry's should go south!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Now that would worry me. In the old days Henry's was my second favourite dealer, behind Toronto Camera.I bought my original SV in 67 from Toronto Camera. Then I bought my Program Plus and Tammy 35-300 from them in maybe 1989. Toronto Camera expanded to the point they were in practically every mall and plaza in the Toronto Area. Then they went under because they over extended themselves. By the time I got my *ist, Henry's was my best option. They also have expanded to cover most of Ontario and other parts of Canada. That's good except for the part where I'd hate to see them go the way of Toronto Camera.
Point taken. Wolf Camera seemed to have a store almost everywhere. That, and the rock-n-roll lifestyle of its principals may have doomed them
11-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Not necessarily at all - with the SR on 1/30 is actually very easy to shoot steady. Here's a picture I've just taken indoors right now in fluorescent light. It is handheld, standing and not resting against anything for support - a zero effort shot and just the one try.

No PP except default sharpening and chroma NR, and lens aberration corrections.
Love the huge photo...glad that I have the wall-sized monitor to fully appreciate it.

Yes, I am being sarcastic. Might I suggest a more modest horizontal size, say 800-1000 pixels along with a crop of the full resolution image to help make your point?

Steve

(...pet peeve...)
11-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Seamripper Quote
I was also later told that one of the Pentax reps for Canada lives in my city (Winnipeg) and the service for Pentax here is second to none. I have yet to prove that as I have yet to have a problem with my Pentax cameras. With that, we have a major Ricoh building downtown... not sure if that helps, but this all happened long before Ricoh purchased Pentax.
Doubt that the 'big building' will help. My experience of that kind of thing is that the 'big building' does not even act as a front counter clearing house for that kind of business. 20 years ago I had a Canon video camera which had a failure of a few capacitors. The Canon warranty service centre in Adelaide would not even act as a clearinghouse to get my matter sorted - they only told me the address in Sydney to post the camera to - at my risk of damage and my risk of the people in Sydney deciding that the matter was indeed a waranty matter. So much for having a warranty service centre!
11-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Seamripper Quote
I was also later told that one of the Pentax reps for Canada lives in my city (Winnipeg) and the service for Pentax here is second to none. I have yet to prove that as I have yet to have a problem with my Pentax cameras. With that, we have a major Ricoh building downtown... not sure if that helps, but this all happened long before Ricoh purchased Pentax.
I'm in Winnipeg, when I needed warranty work on my K-r I took it to Henry's who then had it shipped off for warranty work - in Ontario. When I wanted to look at the K-3 I had to have Henry's bring it in from yet again Ontario as none of the Henry's stores had one on the shelves. I have never had any problem in having stuff brought in, but I would like to see more Pentax actually in the stores here - much like almost everyone else.

11-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Love the huge photo...glad that I have the wall-sized monitor to fully appreciate it.

Yes, I am being sarcastic. Might I suggest a more modest horizontal size, say 800-1000 pixels along with a crop of the full resolution image to help make your point?

Steve

(...pet peeve...)
oops sorry for that. I didn't realise that could happen as it looks normal size on my browser (Chrome) and only looks big if I 'open image in a new tab'.

Are they any better now?
11-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Are they any better now?
Yep...

A good practice is to know your pixel dimensions before linking to or uploading an image.

Steve
11-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Yep...

A good practice is to know your pixel dimensions before linking to or uploading an image.

Steve
There's also a page somewhere in the site preferences where you can limit the largest an image is displayed on your computer.
11-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There's also a page somewhere in the site preferences where you can limit the largest an image is displayed on your computer.
I will look that up, though I would be surprised if it works for linked images from the Web. (Edit: Yes, this works, though it does not change the time to download.)

There is also a page somewhere on this site that spells out the policy in regards to image sizes and the number of images per post.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-25-2013 at 09:40 AM.
11-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I've been doing business with them for quite a while. I've sung their praises on this site before and they deserve it. The do push Tamron lenses a lot though.
11-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
The do push Tamron lenses a lot though.
Yeah, I noticed that. They said that they can get competitor's lenses like Sigma in, if the focal range or lens type is different from something Tamron offers. Must be related to some preferred vendor sales incentive or discount program.

M
11-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #30
Veteran Member

(Edit: Yes, this works, though it does not change the time to download.)
I think it should and actually does also load quicker, provided the jpeg is progressive encoded and the browser fully supports progressive decoding, which I think all recent ones do.

Funnily enough I just realised that the reduced size pictures I now put are not progressively encoded whereas the original large ones were, so the reduced ones may actually take longer to load on devices with small displays than the others did.

Still I understand it's better if the picture is smaller in the first place.