Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2013, 04:55 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pinch Me: Salesman Recommends Pentax for Nikon Shooter

So this afternoon I went to Robi’s, the best retail Pentax dealer in the state of Washington. I needed to pickup a few lens caps. So while I’m paying at the accessories counter, a conversation at the camera counter behind me snapped my head around.

A customer had just walked in with his Nikon D200. He shoots outdoor motocross in good light, but a lot of dust and dirt flies around. One salesman stated that although he owned a D300s himself, he didn’t feel all that confident recommending five-year-old technology for a new camera purchase. After he and another salesman explained how Nikon has sorta let down the APS-C sports shooter, the second salesman offered “we’ve been hearing really good things about this new Pentax K-3 for sports, why don’t you check this out—it should keep the dirt out of your camera better than anything.”

This is where I tuned in and then joined in telling stories. The customer spent about 15 minutes with the camera. His wife wanted him to take more portraits, but his existing lenses didn’t do that well enough. The store had lights setup for such occasions and had the customer do a head-and-shoulders shot of the salesman at the long end of the 18-135mm kit lens. Since the customer disliked flash, they wanted me to recommend a speed and I suggested going with ISO 800 as a good test. At 1/30 the customer produced a really pleasant shot.

I thought he was gonna whip out the plastic right then and there, but alas, we long-time married guys are, um, well trained so it’s off to zee wife for whatever. I’d put the chances of his returning to purchase the K-3 at 55%; either that or I think he will just wait and see what Nikon does next year.

M

11-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
So this afternoon I went to Robi’s, the best retail Pentax dealer in the state of Washington. I needed to pickup a few lens caps. So while I’m paying at the accessories counter, a conversation at the camera counter behind me snapped my head around.

A customer had just walked in with his Nikon D200. He shoots outdoor motocross in good light, but a lot of dust and dirt flies around. One salesman stated that although he owned a D300s himself, he didn’t feel all that confident recommending five-year-old technology for a new camera purchase. After he and another salesman explained how Nikon has sorta let down the APS-C sports shooter, the second salesman offered “we’ve been hearing really good things about this new Pentax K-3 for sports, why don’t you check this out—it should keep the dirt out of your camera better than anything.”

This is where I tuned in and then joined in telling stories. The customer spent about 15 minutes with the camera. His wife wanted him to take more portraits, but his existing lenses didn’t do that well enough. The store had lights setup for such occasions and had the customer do a head-and-shoulders shot of the salesman at the long end of the 18-135mm kit lens. Since the customer disliked flash, they wanted me to recommend a speed and I suggested going with ISO 800 as a good test. At 1/30 the customer produced a really pleasant shot.

I thought he was gonna whip out the plastic right then and there, but alas, we long-time married guys are, um, well trained so it’s off to zee wife for whatever. I’d put the chances of his returning to purchase the K-3 at 55%; either that or I think he will just wait and see what Nikon does next year.

M
"Pinch me" is correct! Wow, this is a great turn of events. I remember when the salesperson tried to make me buy a Sony when I was in the market for my first DSLR (Got a K 20D that still is ticking and making amazing pics). I think ' Monochrome' - the forum member was right all along when he said that Ricoh has a plan and we will all be happy!
11-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Long ago when I was looking for my first SLR a salesman at a local department store steered me to my Pentax ME Super. I became a Pentaxian in 1981 and have never looked back. My K200D still serves me well to this day.
11-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The D7100 still has some advantages over the K-3, for sports. I don't think he'd go wrong either way, but it's nice to hear of a re-seller pitching Pentax.

11-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great story! Those are some well-informed sales staff -- good going Ricoh/Pentax!
11-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There is some pain felt in the Nikon camp indeed. Because the D400 is not coming and D7100 has too small buffers in raw. Seems like Nikon is really preparing the grounds for a half-affordable FF action dSLR. Loosing some customers in the process.

Similiar in the Canon camp which is waiting for a decent high dynamic sensor from Canon. And a 7D succussor.

So, not the worst moment in time for the K-3. Just wished the progress in the AF tracking department (incl. a fast focussing long lens) woukd have been more significant though.
11-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #7

Not unusual at all where I'm from. Back when I purchased my K5, I had a d7000 in my left had and a K5 in my right. I had been a Pentax shooter, (K100ds, K200, etc..) for some time but was considering switching at the time, which meant I would be buying lenses and everything. One of the sales guy's at Henry's convinced me to stay with Pentax. He had a HUGE appreciation for Pentax. He also would have made much more money off me if I had switched to Nikon (at the time...). But yet, he still suggested that I stay.

I was also later told that one of the Pentax reps for Canada lives in my city (Winnipeg) and the service for Pentax here is second to none. I have yet to prove that as I have yet to have a problem with my Pentax cameras. With that, we have a major Ricoh building downtown... not sure if that helps, but this all happened long before Ricoh purchased Pentax.

Anyway, Henry's is AWESOME! Never a bias point of view towards the 'big two'. Actually the opposite I find. When I go in and mention I shoot Pentax, I get first class service and the Pentax selection has always been excellent.

(BTW, I honestly have no affiliation with Henry's other than being a regular customer due to the way they've treated me, which has always been great!)

I want to mention that last year I had a brief breakdown and purchased a Nikon D300s and 50 1.8G. Although I think it was a great camera, I had to let it go because, other that the auto focus, it couldn't compete with my K5. I just wasn't as satisfied with it and could justify the money I spent on it. I still have a K5, a K7 and many Pentax and Sigma lenses. I also use it all semi-professionally on a regular basis for everything from motorsports, portraits, head shots, family, and fun...

It's all good...

11-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I read the post before, and came back to comment, I think I'm still in shock.
11-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

Likewise! Pentaxforums doesn't have an emoticon equal to expressing the astonishment I feel!

Glad to year good things about Henry's as I'll soon be moving from the US to Ontario, where I'll need to find good Pentax dealers.
11-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

1/30 at 135mm? That's one steady customer.
11-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
normhead, on the other thread about local Pentax dealers I promised you I'd take a couple of shot next time I was there. So here are two; excuse the lousy phone quality but I think you can catch the drift of the place.

Behind Counter

Lower Front Showcase

M
11-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last time I was in Robi's they had sales people helping customers with Nikon, Canon and Pentax. They seemed to make an effort to find out what the customer needed and lay out the pros & cons without steering anybody. Exactly what a good sales team should do. When I asked about used Pentax they were happy to show me what they had and talk shop. I almost bought a very nice A 50mm f/1.2 but passed, still kicking myself. I wish I lived closer than 4 hours away though...........
11-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Wow, thanks Miguel, that looks awesome...
11-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
i think ' monochrome' - the forum member was right all along when he said that ricoh has a plan and we will all be happy!
Good memory!

11-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

went to my local camera shop ( 30 minuets away ) asked them if they had any Pentax stuff. Guy pointed me to a couple of old 35mm cameras and a old third party zoom. and That was it. Very sad