Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K20D is snapping at the heels of the Canon EOS 1DS MK II

Dear Pentaxians and friends

Tonight I went to Barnes & Nobles bookstore, just as I do about three times per week. While sipping a Venti® cup of Starbuck peppermint mocha, I was looking through six or seven photo magazines. I usually purchase the magazines published in the US, if I find good articles. However, I tend to read the magazines from abroad while at the bookstore without purchasing them because they cost nearly $10.00 in the US. Tonight, I found a magazine that I had never seen at Barnes & Nobles. It is PRO Photo and Bright Publishing from the UK, publishes it. They have a website http://www.dppro.co.uk/ Click here for a free demo of their digital edition. February 2008.

I was impressed with the contents. I read more stuff about Pentax in that magazine than any other magazines on the racks. Although I will not plagiarize the Pentax article on page 6 of the March 2008 issue, written by Adam Scorey, I am posting some excerpts from it. I really like what he had to say and especially the way he wrote it. I hope you can get that magazine.

The article is “PENTAX PIXEL POWER is the K20D the proverbial David?”

He writes about the Pentax presentation in Dubai where 122 European photojournalists gathered.

He goes on to write” Now you might think Pentax? A pro camera? But hang on. It chucks out a whooping 14.6MP! It beats the Canon 5D, the new D3 and D300 from Nikon and it is snapping at the heels of the Canon EOS IDS MK II. Talk about coming from behind…:ugh:

Adam Scorey, if you ever read my post, you’re my kind of guy. You recognize a good thing when you see one.

There is a good plug for the new Pentax 200mm f/2.8 and the 300mm f/4 lenses on page 8.

On pages 20 and 21, there is a great ad from Pentax UK. Geraint Tellem, a pro landscape and stock photographer from the UK, wrote it. I scanned the pages above (Was too big for the Forum)…I don’t think that Pentax UK will mind the additional advertisement on this blog.

I’ve always had a Pentax camera since I was a young boy. I am so glad to witness their comeback. Although Pentax is now owned by Hoya, they announced yesterday that the Pentax name would remain. That a smart decision.
Oh...by the way, I did purchase the magazine.

Thank you for reading.

As always, I appreciate your visit to my blog site as well as your comments on the forums or on my blog site.

Best Regards,

Yvon Bourque - Pentaxdslrs.blogspot

04-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen other UK mags that had good things to say about Pentax in the past. They seem to be a little less bias in their writings.
04-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
thats all nice but the argument used is more mp = better. i thought most journalists had gotten over that one a while ago?
beats the d3 because it has more megapixels? hehe..... no comment
04-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
thats all nice but the argument used is more mp = better. i thought most journalists had gotten over that one a while ago?
more megapixles IS better if said pixels are of higher quality than that of the previous generation.

04-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
more megapixles IS better if said pixels are of higher quality than that of the previous generation.
the k10d to k20d sensor upgrade wasnt the subject here. perhaps some people would have prefered the new technology to be used with a 10mp sensor instead of increasing to 14. giving more space in the buffer and even better iso performance than the k20d as well as more dr. ask people to choose between iso and dr, or 4 more megapixels.

but, I digress. lets talk about how more megapixels is better instead. I fear what if olympis announces a new 2x crop factor sensor with 25 megapixels. 1Ds mkIII users would switch in a second! olympus would be the new pro king.
04-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the author only meant beating those FF camera at MP #, not actually the performance. It's absurd to say the K20D would beat the Nikon D3 in IQ, esp high ISO IQ. At the moment, the D3 would eat any 35mm camera alive at least at high noise performance. Most of us here feel that 10MP is probalby enough for our use. What's more important is the quality at ISO 3200 or higher. I'm not saying the K20D can't perform at these levels, but definitely not as well as the D3 or a 10MP K20D woud.
04-03-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
For some people this IS more important, for others not. Does a PJ need a good studio camera? No.
04-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
I think the author only meant beating those FF camera at MP #, not actually the performance. It's absurd to say the K20D would beat the Nikon D3 in IQ, esp high ISO IQ. At the moment, the D3 would eat any 35mm camera alive at least at high noise performance. Most of us here feel that 10MP is probalby enough for our use. What's more important is the quality at ISO 3200 or higher. I'm not saying the K20D can't perform at these levels, but definitely not as well as the D3 or a 10MP K20D woud.
In that case the Pentax is MORE professional than the Nikon because it is more focused?!

I am interested in cameras that have good low ISO performance. For dim light I use tripods and flashes. But then I dont spend my life shooting my kids and pets in the living room at night.

A lot of FF sensors actually have WORSE low ISO noise than APS ones because they generate more heat - this is overcome at higher ISO because of greater sensitivity, but why would a landscape or studio photographer care about that?

Why does everyone have to demand an absolute scale of "good" vs "bad"? If I can get a 1DS mk2 for $1000 I am all for it, even if its not quite as good at ISO1600.

There will be a 24MP Nikon D3X, which will have more resolution and more noise as well as a lower frame rate, so will that be "better" or "worse" than the D3 ?

04-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
What's more important is the quality at ISO 3200 or higher. I'm not saying the K20D can't perform at these levels, but definitely not as well as the D3 or a 10MP K20D woud.

Lets get things into perspective. 95% of all images are shot at 100-400 ISO. Then I'm being generous.
04-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Lets get things into perspective. 95% of all images are shot at 100-400 ISO. Then I'm being generous.
Mine aren't. I shoot a lot of available light and indoors with no flash. A lot of my images are iso1600. But then again I'm going for a certain "look" and noise, properly done, doesn't bother me. Smeared, aggressive nr is a killer though...
04-04-2008, 05:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm in situations where I'm at ISO800 AND Flash!

So bring on improved high ISO performance from ALL the camera makers!

It's pretty much the case that EVERY DSLR has excellent low ISO performance, so to keep things improving, high ISO gets the R&D bucks!
04-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I'm using the K20D and it is a great camera. The "pro" models offer more. If you need "more" and have the $'s, I recommend buying the absolute best you can find. It would be nice if the feature sets on $5000 cameras were on a $1200 Pentax, but they're not. It's the competition that keeps improving our toys and I'm always hopeful.