Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #46

Well.. - yeah.

And it all working together makes ear candy for moi... ;o)

04-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Camera Sound FX

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
That would mostly be the sound of the mirror you are refering to. shutter and mirror are 2 seperate things
I once had to supply the sound of a camera taking pictures for a one-act play (The Actor's Nightmare). It was specifically supposed to evoke a celebrity taking the stage and press photographer's taking snaps (in a live theatre show--tsk tsk tsk!) in Noel Coward's Private Lives. SO 1930s.

Without thinking it through at all, I recorded my Olympus OM-2. So rather than the little click of an aperture shutter + the poof of a one-use disposable flash bulb (remember those? My mother still had one when I was growing up in the 70s!), I had no flash sound and a sound which, when played back over the theatre's sound system, sounded like a prison gate slamming closed!

I realized my mistake as soon as we were in the theatre, but I didn't own my Mamiya nor even my Yashika yet at that time, so I didn't have an alternative, and we were about to open and the director wanted SOMETHING. So we just threw the volume real low and trusted the audience's ignorance.

For a lighting effect, I think we did rig up remote-triggered flashes or something...with the associated capacitor-recharge WHINE after it fully discharged. The most hopelessly anachronistic FX you could imagine. Painfully bad.

That's student theatre for you.

DW
04-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DHCowboy Quote
Well.. - yeah.

And it all working together makes ear candy for moi... ;o)
It took me awhile to realize that one thing I find disconcerting about many digital P&S's is the lack of an aperture sound at all. You don't know when--or even IF--a picture's been taken. Which is good in a lot of situations, but disconcerting if you're conscious that you're the subject, waiting to have his photo snapped.

Of course, the hilarious alternative is that many P&S's add a HORRIBLY FAKE DIGITAL RECORDING of an aperture sound to play back. That's even more painful than my theatre sound FX experience!
04-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DHCowboy Quote
Why do we need the shutter?

Why? - man - I just LOVE that sound when I mash down on the button and crank off 10-12 frames while shooting my friends beating each other up on the field in their armor.

So, what, - it should just "beep" or something? Nah. I quote Linus and his sister, Lucy, on that thought. "BLEAH!"

;o)
audible shutter noise is a result of the shutter hitting something

as im sure you are aware hearing is a result of vibration

said vibration that can impact image quality

ergo, having no shutter will make for cleaner images.