Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

A Toast to the most tightly sealed DSLRS in their class.

In the May issue of PC Photo is a full inside cover add spread across onto the next page showing the Pentax K20D and the K200D.

This space is usually occupied by Epson.

Nice to see a very catchy and clever Pentax Add.

Things seemingly are on the right track.

Rg.

04-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Australian Ads

Things are indeed happening.
Our national newspaper "The Australian" carries a 1/2 page ad for the K20D today....thats a first! Obviously Pentax feel they have something to sell this time around.
The main point of the ad is high end image quality at an affordable price.
04-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here's the ad in PDF format for A Toast to the most tightly sealed DSLRS in their class. .

http://documents.scribd.com/docs/ooi6k2wnvu0l1gci39x.pdf

Best Regards,

Yvon Bourque

Last edited by ebooks4pentax; 04-03-2008 at 06:03 PM.
04-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The phrase "in their class" is such a cop-out. Pentax should be bolder about their achievements. I'm also not sure if a spilled martini really appeals to potential Pentaxians. I prefer mine in the glass.

04-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The phrase "in their class" is such a cop-out. Pentax should be bolder about their achievements. I'm also not sure if a spilled martini really appeals to potential Pentaxians. I prefer mine in the glass.
How about the sealed underwater cameras? Are they in the same class? In these litigious days, everyone has to warn about everything. "Do not drink bleach, it might be hazardous to your health."
04-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Forum Member

Sensible advertising from Pentax? I'll have to keep an eye open (and a lense drawn) in case I should spot a group of horsemen flying through the sky in the near future...
04-04-2008, 02:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
How about the sealed underwater cameras? Are they in the same class? In these litigious days, everyone has to warn about everything. "Do not drink bleach, it might be hazardous to your health."
Good job they didn't show spilled bleach!

IMO "the most tightly sealed DSLRS in their class" is an unwieldy phrase for ad copy. Better to say "Best sealed DSLRS available*". And then in a footnote: "* Except those underwater cameras. Obviously."

Appeals to common sense and is funny to boot.

Though I don't think companies need to care too much about their ad copy, given how misleading most of it is. Ads do not constitute binding contracts.
04-04-2008, 05:49 AM   #8

It was raining hard two days ago when I took this. I had the SDM 16-50mm * lens, with my K10D. I was VERY impressed with how well it did

04-04-2008, 06:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

But how many lenses in the Pentax land are sealed? n/t

no text no text
04-04-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
no text no text
no reply no reply

Having the body sealed is the main thing, though not high on my personal list of priorities. Lots more to go wrong there. Having the lens sealed is then more important for zooms with their increased number of moving parts. We've got a couple of those.

More sealed lenses will come no doubt, but not everyone will want to pay the premium.
04-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

They're coming - DA*30 and DA*55 on the road map are particularly interesting to me, and I can't wait to try the DA*60-250.
04-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #12

Amazing PR here

in the North-East end of Europe: full page adds of Pentax gear (and not only of K20D) in almost all magazines (even focussed on housewives and gardeners!), very frequently large adds in leading newspapers and of course nice hands-on coverage in major technical/computer magazines :-) It all started with K100D here around July 2006- and I must say that this heartwarming action has its impact- over the last 3 months I have seen more Pentax DSLRs around than during last 5 years. Nikon adds pop up too, Olympus with their "smallest" but I recall Canon from one nature magazine only, Sony seems a bit weak and pricey here- but IMO Pentax marketing is VERY good here and all thanks to a good representer (photopoint.ee). And eg other gear availability here is not bad at all- 29 lenses from Pentax :-) Prices are also very competitive in euro-zone... So I personally hope to see a new Pentaxians generation coming.
Best and happy shooting plus happy coming Pentaxium, JR
04-06-2008, 02:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

No text???

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
no text no text
I think the letters o, t, x, e and n together do suggest text.....

As to lenses, qwell currentlry the 16-50 and 50-135 and the DA*200 and *300 ( which some say is available already).
But yes it could use some expansion, forts priority should be a lens with a more walkaroundish range (and forget about f2.8 in that one). The 17-70/f4 would be an obvious candidate.
But if they are foolish enough to forget about that, I have a feeling that, now that numerous other brands are stating some sort of weather-resistant-ness, third party lens makers will come up with sealed lenses as well, sooners rather than later.
Personal favourites for that: Tamron 28-75 and Tamron 18-250 or Sigma 18-125
04-06-2008, 02:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote

Though I don't think companies need to care too much about their ad copy, given how misleading most of it is. Ads do not constitute binding contracts.
yea its quite hair raising to go to the fuji site and see the description of the S5 PRO, with an asterisk on every picture showing results from the camera, you get to the bottom of the page to find a footnote explaining that the images are simulated results ha ha ha

I've noticed that pentax have never really adverised that much you always see mostly canon and lots of nikon adverts
04-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
yea its quite hair raising to go to the fuji site and see the description of the S5 PRO, with an asterisk on every picture showing results from the camera, you get to the bottom of the page to find a footnote explaining that the images are simulated results ha ha ha
huh? what are you talking about? you surely don't mean their "film simulation" feature, which is a feature of the camera itself.. would you enlighten us with a link, maybe?