Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Pentax *ist DL and fall foliage

Hello Everyone!

It's been a while, I don't come to this website very often, but I have something here that I want to share. I took this fall picture three weeks ago and on the screen of my desktop computer the explosion of color just hypnotizes me. I cannot stop looking at the image, I just love it. I have been trying to reproduce the quality of image on my old, Canon i560 printer. But so far the attempts fall short. The brightness and contrast of image is not there on a print. I am amazed how such an old model DSLR can produce such fantastic images. This leads me to a question.

How much better an image would a new Pentax DSLR make? Would a 10 thru 16 megapixel CMOS senor be that much better than an old 6.1 megapixel CCD? I have been seeking an answer to this on the web, but have so far found no direct and understandable replies. Anyone here care to answer?

-Stephen

11-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlvr Quote
Would a 10 thru 16 megapixel CMOS senor be that much better than an old 6.1 megapixel CCD?
Assuming you get one of the new 16-megapixel cameras like the K-30 or K-50, the difference will be immense (we're talking tech that's 10 years newer, after all).

The added resolution is one thing, but the new sensor also has more color depth, more dynamic range, and less noise. You'll be able to get much better prints from a K-30, K-50, or K-500 than your DL.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlvr Quote
Hello Everyone!

It's been a while, I don't come to this website very often, but I have something here that I want to share. I took this fall picture three weeks ago and on the screen of my desktop computer the explosion of color just hypnotizes me. I cannot stop looking at the image, I just love it. I have been trying to reproduce the quality of image on my old, Canon i560 printer. But so far the attempts fall short. The brightness and contrast of image is not there on a print. I am amazed how such an old model DSLR can produce such fantastic images. This leads me to a question.

How much better an image would a new Pentax DSLR make? Would a 10 thru 16 megapixel CMOS senor be that much better than an old 6.1 megapixel CCD? I have been seeking an answer to this on the web, but have so far found no direct and understandable replies. Anyone here care to answer?

-Stephen
Cameras, printers and monitors all need to be calibrated to display the same colours, and monitors in particular tend to vary widely in their displays so a picture may look much brighter and more colourful on one than on another. You could try adjusting the colour settings for your printer, and make sure you have the paper settings correct as the printer will compensate for different types of paper leading to huge differences in the amount of ink laid down.

BTW I sold my 18MP CMOS Canon 600D and bought a Pentax K200D 10MP CCD and I prefer the images from the Pentax. The only significant difference is in the size of the images - more MP means more detail and more scope for cropping. If you're happy with the *ist I'd keep it
11-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Darley Quote
BTW I sold my 18MP CMOS Canon 600D and bought a Pentax K200D 10MP CCD and I prefer the images from the Pentax. The only significant difference is in the size of the images - more MP means more detail and more scope for cropping. If you're happy with the *ist I'd keep it
This part is funny, I've also decided to give away my K-01 to my brother and go back to my beloved K200D. Something about that camera is just magical.

11-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaSA Quote
This part is funny, I've also decided to give away my K-01 to my brother and go back to my beloved K200D. Something about that camera is just magical.
I actually just needed the money, but having got into the Pentax system with all the (cheap) lenses available I'm hooked. And yes the K200D has a certain charm - despite it's faults, like I can never get the SD card out, or I'm looking at the wrong screen, or its old fashioned technology and illogical button/menu arrangement. It's built like a tank too, which is just as well as I'm forever dropping stuff in muddy fields or woods
11-26-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Darley Quote
Cameras, printers and monitors all need to be calibrated to display the same colours, and monitors in particular tend to vary widely in their displays so a picture may look much brighter and more colourful on one than on another. You could try adjusting the colour settings for your printer, and make sure you have the paper settings correct as the printer will compensate for different types of paper leading to huge differences in the amount of ink laid down.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, I have calibration software that I use for my computer monitor. It is called 'ColorPlus' from Pantone Colorvision.

-Stephen
11-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There is something magical about the color rendition from the older Pentax CCD image sensors. I'm not sure what it is on a technical level but the colors always seem to come out deeper, truer, and with more contrast. While my K-30 wins the details/megapixels war my older *ist bodies win the color war!