Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
raw on your lcd

There once was a thread here that contained info to get the camera to display a histogram on the rear lcd that actually matched the raw image rather than the jpeg the camera displays.

This resulted in a awful image to view but you knew you were safe with the histogram for your raw.

there was a fancy name for this technique but I cant remember what is was called or how you did it.

I tried it and it worked but I cant find any info doing a forum or Google search, I guess i'm using the wrong search terms.

any help here any one????

11-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My histograms are close (K10d). I put all the in camera jpeg settings to neutral. No saturation up, no contrast no nothing. Just plain 0 on all the sliders.
11-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My histograms are close (K10d).
Same here. In fact, it never occurred to me that they represented anything other than the value distribution from the RAW capture.

Steve
11-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Yeah, the histogram is of the jpeg preview. The problem is that it is based on a photo which has already been developed.
The jpeg has: a) less data b) it changes WB c) it affects tones and contrasts d) other options can also have effects if you have them enabled, like shadow and highlight correction, distortion correction, etc.

I think I remember reading a similar tutorial as to what you are asking, OP, but I do not know the details. I am also very interested in this. I think the person did something to make the "custom WB" reflect actual default sensor WB (so the camera didn't fiddle and move the blue/yellow around) and set the sliders at closest to actual 0 changes (the problem is that with some cameras, the 0 value still does something). After that he shot raw and exposed to the right as much as he could. In post, he would bring down the brightness and fix white balance. Only downside to this that I see is that a) it is hard to get the white balance right in post and b) it takes much more time to process these photos
The upside is that you get maximum sensor performance and less noise. Since you are esentially overexposing, this also means you probably get a faster shutter speed and thus sharper photos.

11-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Na Horuk, I'm glad I'm not thte only one to remember this , and yes it was some odd white balance shift that was involved.

I get realy frustrated when I can't find things later.
11-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Na Horuk, I'm glad I'm not the only one to remember this , and yes it was some odd white balance shift that was involved.

I get realy frustrated when I can't find things later.
11-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I think that this thread will help: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/68043-finally-ca...histogram.html

Then search "uniWB"

Here's a start: http://www.guillermoluijk.com/tutorial/uniwb/index_en.htm

Last edited by Paul Hunt; 11-26-2013 at 05:13 AM. Reason: addendum
11-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Paul thank you it is uiWB I re found it last night there's loads on it I used the white light method last time I tried it that worked well.