Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

The K20D = Pro-Level Camera

Every day this past week, I've been checking the front door to see if a brown box had arrived, and today I received my K20D from UPS. After reading so much about it online, and hearing your reviews, I was hyped up about this camera. A14.6MP, ISO6400, Live view, CMOS sensor, better SR, and better anti dust features! What more can a photographer ask for?

After a day out on the town and camera calibration. In my humble opinion, the "Pro-ness" of this camera comes from several features:

1. White balance is fully customizable, and you can take a preview picture, which makes it even easier to get your WB right the first time around
2. The extremely high ISO capability and noise reduction
3. 14.6MP and the quality of the MP
4. Quiet shutter
5. PC Sync w/voltage protection
6. Image processor
7. SR
8. Anti dust features
9. Wide range of custom functions
10. DDR2 RAM for fast image transfer
11. Instant review includes an RGB histogram (right after you capture an image, the image will display for X number of seconds with a RGB histogram)

I'm not sure why Pentax labeled the K20D as a Semi-Pro camera because when we look at the features, the camera is not only on par, but surpasses many Pro cameras. What, just because the camera doesn't have an insane amount of fps or 45 focus points, makes the camera a semi-pro camera?

During shooting, I noticed a quiet shutter, fast AF, and when using the dust removal feature it seems to use more force than the K10D. I'm not sure if the K10D had this, but Instant review on the K20D is spectacular! This is probably my favorite feature, where I used to always push the Play button to access the histogram. Now, right after taking a picture, the picture pops up on the LCD with a RGB histogram for X amount of seconds. Also, the image processing looks amazing for JPEGs. I am looking forward to editing the RAW+ images to try and match and improve on the RAW vs. JPEG. I think it will be interesting to see if my RAW PP will improve the image when compared to the K20D processed JPEG.

Honestly, when I was using the K10D, I thought it was ingenious of Pentax with their implementation of the custom white balance tools, and now with the added improvements on the K20D, I know what I have in my hands is an even better tool for photography. So whether you're going to use the K20D for Fashion, Landscape, Portraits, Fine Art, or Advertising, you will be getting a Pro-Level Camera.

Last edited by imadethis; 04-03-2008 at 07:14 PM.
04-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

nice.

can some one please hook me up with about a grand?
its good for business so c'mon, think about it, i want this cam now.

8)
04-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me the K20 is a pro camera because I made money with it last month. Paid shoot in the rain. Awesome results that the client loved. That makes it pro to me.
04-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A pro camera needs more important things

QuoteQuote:
After a day out on the town and camera calibration. In my humble opinion, the "Pro-ness" of this camera comes from several features:

1. White balance is fully customizable, and you can take a preview picture, which makes it even easier to get your WB right the first time around
2. The extremely high ISO capability and noise reduction
3. 14.6MP and the quality of the MP
4. Quiet shutter
5. PC Sync w/voltage protection
6. Image processor
7. SR
8. Anti dust features
9. Wide range of custom functions
10. DDR2 RAM for fast image transfer
11. Instant review includes an RGB histogram (right after you capture an image, the image will display for X number of seconds with a RGB histogram)
All the above are good features IMO but a true pro camera needs much more. I do believe that Pentax knows very well how to classify a camera and set its price tag.

To name a few: a faster frame rate, faster and more responsive AF (especially at lower light conditions), no more AF yellow light front focusing problem, a shorter shutter lag, a more accurate metering and exposure system, more AF points etc. etc. are what a truly pro camera body should have.

Let's wait for the K1D afterall. If it will be a full frame DSLR, I'll get it soonest without second thought.

04-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hate when cameras get labeled Pro and semi Pro etc, many pros are shooting with D80's and 40D's!

Pro is when ever you make money from your camera, end of story, The K20D is pro :XD

At the same token a rich snoob with a D3 or 5D doesn't mean pro, it just means he's got cash to burn.
04-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've been paid for shots from my P&S. Does that make it "pro"?

The labels are arbitrary. If I had to draw a line in the sand, I'd say "pro" is a camera that was designed to be used manually or semi-manually first, full auto as an after-thought.

That being said, while I got some good shots out of the thousand or so I took over the past few days in Yosemite valley, the conditions pointed out the achilles heel of most "semi-pro" and current dslr "pro" cameras - lack of dynamic range. I was wishing I had a medium format digital or film. This isn't bad, but it isn't what I was "seeing"

oh, and btw, when I was standing underneath and downwind of the falls, I was happy that I didn't have a D300 or 40D or 5D.
04-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
All the above are good features IMO but a true pro camera needs much more. I do believe that Pentax knows very well how to classify a camera and set its price tag.

To name a few: a faster frame rate, faster and more responsive AF (especially at lower light conditions), no more AF yellow light front focusing problem, a shorter shutter lag, a more accurate metering and exposure system, more AF points etc. etc. are what a truly pro camera body should have.

Let's wait for the K1D afterall. If it will be a full frame DSLR, I'll get it soonest without second thought.
Faster FPS? It already shoots 9 times faster than my lights can recycle. What good would faster fps do? Your precious 5D is only 3 fps. Were there no pro photographers before motor drives? AF is already faster and more responsive. Were there no pro photographers before AF? I make my living with photography and I use Pentax cameras. I have only seen a single photo ever posted by you (on another forum) and no mention of you making your living with photography. I don't see where you are qualified to judge what a pro camera is. I'm not sure I've ever seen any hard evidence that you know what a camera is.
04-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote

Hmmm... ok the 5D isn't pro after what you say then?

It hasn't front focused for me in yellow light but I'm a sucky photographer and a Canon is too much for me.

The 5D and 40D only have 9 points the K10 and 20 have 11?

Stick to Canon RH it's up your alley

04-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
To define a Pro level camera, it would be a camera with features that make a photographer's life efficient during shooting, transfer, and PP, and it would be a camera that a photographer could use to pay for their bread and butter. Imagine trying to survive off of your photography. I would want the best features, let's say tools, to make my life a little easier.

The features I listed above in the second half of my post addresses Mr. RiceHigh's comments. Please note, I intentionally left out Sports photography on the list because it's obvious that this camera would not suite the professional so well, but since it's only once style out of many types of professional photography, the K20D is a Pro camera.

I would ask why would you need such a high FPS, fast low light AF, or more accurate metering for Fashion, Landscape, Fine Art, and Advertising? Pro cameras are usually used in controlled situations, which is up to the photographer to control or be creative with. Also, for metering, the histogram feature I listed above is amazing, and I would see no issues during my shooting.

Cheers!
04-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imadethis Quote
11. Instant review includes an RGB histogram (right after you capture an image, the image will display for X number of seconds with a RGB histogram)...

I'm not sure if the K10D had this, but Instant review on the K20D is spectacular! This is probably my favorite feature, where I used to always push the Play button to access the histogram. Now, right after taking a picture, the picture pops up on the LCD with a RGB histogram for X amount of seconds.
The K10D does have this feature, and is very helpful to me as well.