Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I can't agree anymore

I think Edvinas is completely right. If there is a *feature* or *function* offered, it should work without any flaw. Such half-implemented Auto ISO is just a trap for all Pentax DSLR users of those pre-K10D models, even for experienced users who know well about the bug but still wish to use the Auto ISO just for the sake of *convenience*.

The most annoying thing is that even Pentax has now come up with a solution for long (since the K10D), they have never released firmware update for the debug for their old customers, it is considered to be irresponsible afterall.

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
I think egordon99 is absoluely correct. While that Auto ISO can be a wonderful tool under the right circumstances it essentially gives the camera control ofver too many aspects of photography while allowing the phtographer to use the camera as nothing more than a P&S.

While that may not be a bad thing at times it is not what one generally buys a DSLR for. To use a DSLR correctly generally requires that the photographer learn how to handle the reciprocal functions of light vs ISO, or ISO and aperture, F-stop selection under varioius lighting conditions. Understanding these relationships is what helps create a photographer vs being a picture taker. Knowing these formulas will allow you to handle virtually all the complex situations that you may find yourself in at one time or another.

Stephen

04-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by soalle Quote
thank you very much for all your answers!
I actually tested also Auto ISO with Manual mode. Also there once you set aperture and speed the camera automatically choose ISO200... too bad. It could have been nice to have this fix in the next firmware release...
FYI, Auto ISO does not work at all in Manual mode. After all, you have control of everything in Manual mode.
04-07-2008, 10:41 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by soalle Quote
Hi everybody, I'm a newbie in the DSLR world and I'm doing my first steps (never owned an SLR but played around often with a bridge camera).

So, the other evening I was in a pub taking pictures (and drinking beer of course!) the room was under dim light (AF was sometime hunting... :-|). I was shooting in aperture priority with a K100D + Pentax-F 50mm f1.7 (most of the time wide open or step down to f2).
Once at home I checked the pictures, some of them were very good, some others very blurry.
In some blurry picture the Exif was saying: Aperture f1.7, Shutter Speed 1.5secs (or even 2secs) and ISO 200!!!! Now my ISO setting was in automatic in the range of 200-800. So why the camera chose to pick a shutter speed of 1.5 secs and keeping the ISO at 200 when it could have been better to have ISO800 and shutter speed of 0.3"? Am I doing anything wrong?
Thank you very much for any advice....

I thought I lucked out last Thurs. with my 50 1.4 until I turned it on. Then my meter suggested I'd yield something far more usable at ISO800 rather than the 400 I thought I might get away with, and that was the bright spot in the place.

Why not set the ISO range higher for those sorts of environments?
04-08-2008, 06:41 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Nikon has Auto ISO in M mode. It's more or less the same as Pentax's TAv mode