Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
iRed Remote..?

Has anyone used the iRed remote control and app, available from Numbert ?

The little gizmo that plugs into your camera appears to reasonably priced, and the app seems to have a lot of options in it.

But, is it worth the effort..?

11-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It doesn't plug into the camera but into the iPhone. The iPhone then becomes a 'universal' remote control..
11-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah, I see that. Question is. Has anyone got any experience of using one.
11-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have not used it but it looks interesting.
This quote from the website kinda threw me, doesnt seem that easy at all
QuoteQuote:
Easy Setup

Setup is quick and easy. You can set it up within seconds as all you have to do is wählen einfach den Hersteller Ihrer Digitalkamera aus einer Liste auszuwählen.

11-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use Windows Phone 8 so no no go for me.
11-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use my Galaxy Tab 3 T210R, which has built-in IR blaster, with free app and also to review photo through PQI Air Card .
11-27-2013, 02:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
OK
I've ordered one.
I'll report my review after it arrives. Whenever that might be..!

11-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FTOeire Quote
OK
I've ordered one.
I'll report my review after it arrives. Whenever that might be..!
Great! Look forward to your review.
12-06-2013, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Arrived today:
First impressions.? Very shiny little bullet thing, fits into your headphone socket.
Real easy to set up, just open the app, and type in the licence code, and ready to go.
It does exactly what it says on the tin.

Observations:
You have to put the camera into IR mode (obviously). Using it on my k-r. Haven't tried it on my k-x yet.
Once you switch IR on, and the IR light is flashing on the camera, everything works fine.
Only thing is. If you leave the camera for a while, the IR light stops flashing (Probably to save the battery..???) Which means you have to depress the shutter half way, to wake it up again
I could see a problem here, if you are 9m away from the camera and you have to keep running back to it.
Maybe there's a way to stop the camera from "sleeping" in IR mode, but I haven't found it yet.

Conclusion:
Very useful, if you haven't got an interval timer already built in. The k-r has, but the k-x hasn't.
It also lets you take a wider range of shots, if you want to do HDR photography.

I think I shall be using it quite a bit, and for the price, its a good addition to your arsenal..!

*edit* Setting the auto power setting to "OFF", leaves the IR light blinking indefinitely. Should've realised that. Schoolboy error.....LOL

Last edited by FTOeire; 12-06-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: more info
12-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #10

Original Poster
Even though I paid for the DSLR licence, it appears I can use it to change channels on my TV as well... Bonus..!
12-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Has anyone used the iRed remote control and app, available from Numbert ?

The little gizmo that plugs into your camera appears to reasonably priced, and the app seems to have a lot of options in it.

But, is it worth the effort..?
While I have an IR remote, I personally prefer a wired remote for any outdoor shots. The problem with IR is the sun is a huge IR emitter - it won't trigger your camera because it is white noise as opposed to a coded signal, but the sun will greatly reduce the useful range of any IR remote.

If you like using either an iOS or Android device as a remote release, check out Triggertrap. It seems to have a bunch more triggering options using device sensors than the Numbert app. I don't even bother with my camera's built-in intervalometer any more.

BTW, if your camera has ONLY an IR option for remote release, check out this post:
Make a wired release for any Pentax IR camera - PentaxForums.com
12-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #12

Original Poster
It seems triggertrap doesn't support either the K-r or the K-x. So that's a non starter....lol
I've used the iRed outside now, and it works fine. It wasn't that sunny though. Time will tell on that account. Roll on the summer..!
12-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
It seems triggertrap doesn't support either the K-r or the K-x. So that's a non starter....lol
I've used the iRed outside now, and it works fine. It wasn't that sunny though. Time will tell on that account. Roll on the summer..!
You obviously didn't read the linked post on how to use a Triggertrap with IR only cameras. My buddy down in Texas uses aTriggertrap with his K-r all the time.
12-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
BTW, if your camera has ONLY an IR option for remote release, check out this post:
Make a wired release for any Pentax IR camera - PentaxForums.com
Or, you could simply purchase a wired remote release/intervalometer like this one

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

I personally would find the idea of using a dongle on phone or camera to be inconvenient, particularly if the battery should die on the phone.

Edit: Forgot that the K-r and K-x lack a RCA jack for wired release.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-10-2013 at 10:49 AM.