Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Let's talk about patents: US8305453 (handheld HDR)

There are a surprising number of patents covering the devices we use every day--and digital cameras are no exception. I am posting a series of threads discussing patents covering various technologies in Pentax and Ricoh cameras for discussion. You might be surprised about the technologies covered.

The patent I'll be discussing in this thread covers the handheld HDRI feature first introduced in the Pentax K-r. While previous models have been able to capture HDR images with the aid of a tripod, the K-r was the first model able to generate usable HDR images even when shooting handheld.

The relevant patent is US8305453, Imaging apparatus and HDRI method. It covers a method for selecting a "reference area", and using it as a basis for aligning the images together before merging them to HDR.

Questions, thoughts, or comments?

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 11-26-2013 at 11:22 PM.
11-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

The patent is more narrow than you suggest. Claim 1 recites, in part, that "the reference area is alternatively selected in a sequential order of the in-focus area, the face area, the predetermined-color area, and the predetermined-brightness area, such that a subsequent area within the order is selected only after the position adjustment using current area within the order is determined to be inappropriate."

The claim requires selection of a reference area by trying things in a particular order.

I think the danger of these types of threads is in mischaracterizing the invention to describe something absurd. Your post is not absurd, but it isn't precise either. Other threads might become absurd from the start, particularly when characterizing the scope of the patent.

I'm not trying to shut you down. I'm just warning you of a risk. I've seen plenty of patent related discussions begin with misconstruction, followed by a straw man, and ending in tears.
11-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
The patent is more narrow than you suggest. Claim 1 recites, in part, that "the reference area is alternatively selected in a sequential order of the in-focus area, the face area, the predetermined-color area, and the predetermined-brightness area, such that a subsequent area within the order is selected only after the position adjustment using current area within the order is determined to be inappropriate."

The claim requires selection of a reference area by trying things in a particular order.

I think the danger of these types of threads is in mischaracterizing the invention to describe something absurd. Your post is not absurd, but it isn't precise either. Other threads might become absurd from the start, particularly when characterizing the scope of the patent.

I'm not trying to shut you down. I'm just warning you of a risk. I've seen plenty of patent related discussions begin with misconstruction, followed by a straw man, and ending in tears.
The selection of the reference area is a key step of the alignment process needed to generate a usable handheld HDR image. As claim 3 indicates, the reference area is used as the basis for aligning the individual images together, by minimizing the offset among the images with respect to the reference area.

I have edited the original post and will read the patent claims more carefully to ensure accuracy.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 11-26-2013 at 11:18 PM.
11-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bump.

11-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The in-focus area is the preferred reference area for aligning the images, followed by face detection, followed by color areas, followed by brightness areas. Presumably, color areas and brightness areas aren't as good for aligning images as focus data.

I wonder if this means that HDRI under manual focus—which probably reverts to color areas or brightness areas—may not be as good as HDRI under AF mode.
12-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
The in-focus area is the preferred reference area for aligning the images, followed by face detection, followed by color areas, followed by brightness areas. Presumably, color areas and brightness areas aren't as good for aligning images as focus data.

I wonder if this means that HDRI under manual focus—which probably reverts to color areas or brightness areas—may not be as good as HDRI under AF mode.
I'm unable to test this myself, but keep in mind that if you're using a tripod, this isn't an issue. Personally, I've had very good results with handheld HDRI.

--DragonLord