Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eonb Quote
I've used a K5II and a 60-250 in an absolute downpour - it was totally fine, apart from I couldn't see through the viewfinder for the drops of rain. It took a while to remove the water from the barrel of the lens but I would do it again without any problem at all.
I know what you are saying, drops of water that freezes on the viewfinder is a hassle and I complained about the weather conditions but the camera did not, as you can see from the pics. 2013-04-13 Birds in the rain - a set on Flickr

11-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Is the on-board flash weather-sealed, i.e. if it accidentally pops up in the rain am I in trouble?
11-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Is the on-board flash weather-sealed, i.e. if it accidentally pops up in the rain am I in trouble?
No worries in my experience but I can't say for sure. Though weirdly the flimsy hot shoe cap is considered vital for complete weather sealing, though I have my doubts.
11-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
No worries in my experience but I can't say for sure. Though weirdly the flimsy hot shoe cap is considered vital for complete weather sealing, though I have my doubts.
Well, that is an electrical contact so I guess that makes sense. Just wondering if you can use the flash in the rain or not, or you have to be careful not to let it pop up when wet?

11-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
So far I've been pretty much a fair weather photographer, but tonight Mr frogoutofwater and I are thinking of going to photograph the balloon inflation for the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. Although the weather forecast isn't as dire as originally predicted, it could still be fairly wet - anything from light drizzle to downpour. So I'm wondering how weather-resistant the Pentax systems really are. I've got the K-3 and the WR 18-135 and 55-300 (expect I'll use primarily the former). Any tips? Should I use a raincover on the camera itself?
The cameras are really good. Zooms lenses that don't zoom internally will obviously be at a disadvantage compared to primes and zooms that do zoom internally, like the 50-135mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think you are fine. The biggest problem I have when shooting in rain/snow is that you have to protect the front element. If you get water on it, everything else is wasted.
Not entirely...

Yes, it`s weatherproof!
This was shot during a 1,5hr walk in heavy snowfall. I remember wiping the frontelement clean with the finger of my snowboardglove before taking this pic. Sometimes I`m such a pig
11-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I had my K5 DA* 16-50 combo on a catamaran in the Caribbean and got caught looking at 'shiny things' when the bow dipped and a huge wave covered all of us (me , the camera and the lens). I turned it off , wiped it down with a towel and within minutes back in business. I would not recommend this test but mine survived. I did clean it up with fresh water when we got back on shore to get the salt off.

As for the picture above - I take my cameras (K5 / K5 IIs) out regularly in snow and freezing cold and rain never an issue so far (aside from battery not lasting very long in sub zero temps).
11-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
As for the picture above - I take my cameras (K5 / K5 IIs) out regularly in snow and freezing cold and rain never an issue so far (aside from battery not lasting very long in sub zero temps).
I know, I`ve shot Aurora`s in -30C with a non WR-lens. Lens and body covered with frost but no problems. But I allways leave the camera for a couple of hours outside (shed, woodstorage, etc) before shooting in such extreme conditions.

11-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It makes no difference whether the flash is popped up or not as there is anyway no sealing whatsoever between the pop up flash structure and the body of the camera. The sealing is all at the pivot. If the flash is closed in heavy rain and you pop it up later when the camera is dry you will in fact find quite a lot of water still there but it is of no consequence because it is not getting anywhere near the internals of the camera.

I have used a K-30 on board flash in heavy rain with no problem whatsoever. Its construction (of the flash) is very similar to that of the K-3.

As for the contacts they should be no problem in practice. There is actually about 3 volts on one of the contacts when the exposure meter is operating so in theory this would cause some corrosion but I doubt it will actually be significant unless you leave the camera out in the rain or sea spray day and night.

What would be very important though is to make sure the contacts are thoroughly dried before attaching a flash to the hotshoe, even if it is the new WR flash. Water in the contacts when the flash is operating will very likely cause operating problems because of 'crosstalk' between the contacts but in any case it would be very unlikely to cause any permanent damage. The WR flash has a seal to prevent water getting between itself and the hotshoe slot on the camera but if there is already water there before you affix the flash then the seal is not going to be of any help.
11-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
It makes no difference whether the flash is popped up or not as there is anyway no sealing whatsoever between the pop up flash structure and the body of the camera. The sealing is all at the pivot. If the flash is closed in heavy rain and you pop it up later when the camera is dry you will in fact find quite a lot of water still there but it is of no consequence because it is not getting anywhere near the internals of the camera.

I have used a K-30 on board flash in heavy rain with no problem whatsoever. Its construction (of the flash) is very similar to that of the K-3.
Good to know, thanks. I hadn't heard anyone talk about it before.
11-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I did some serious rain photography off sports, so no worry's.
11-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #27

it's very weatherproof....I've done this with K20D, K5 and K5-IIs. Great sealing. Great camera.

11-28-2013, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #28

Here's a pentaxian friend of mine with his K-30. Also very weatherproof. Can you spot him on the left?

12-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
that right there should be a pentax magazine ad!!!

Pentax,
Got Seals?
12-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Just thought I'd post a couple of photos from a recent snow storm (taken with the DFA 100mm macro on a K5 II).