Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
I know the system is very well sealed but I wonder about something....I lost that little black plastic hotshoe-cover of my K20d, could the exposed contacts be a risk? My own theory is that little thingy is just a cover and not really a WRseal, are the contacts themselves sealed from inside the body?
I find this weird but Pentax says that the hotshoe cover is a must. I also checked the FAQs when they were up and it's
QuoteOriginally posted by crassus Quote
It is not just the hot shoe cover that has to be on for the weather sealing. I am copying and pasting this directly from the Pentax JP site. My translation are also given.

Q 防塵・防滴構造ですか? Is the contruction sealed from dust and moisture?
A 各ダイヤルやボタン部、ボディの接合部、開閉部などに防滴・防塵処理を施しています。
※防塵、防滴性能を発揮するにはホットシューカバーFK、シンクロソケット2Pキャップを付けた状態でご使用下さい。

Each dial button, gaps in the body and on off switch etc. are made with the consideration of being sealed from dust and moisture.
* In order for this fuction (moisture and dust sealing) to work fully, please use it with the hot shoe cover FK, sync socket 2P Cap.

12-16-2013, 02:26 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I find this weird but Pentax says that the hotshoe cover is a must. I also checked the FAQs when they were up and it's
Hmm, that is indeed a very specific warning. Maybe I should find a find a replacement for it anyway, they don`t cost the end of the world.
12-16-2013, 04:21 AM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It may say that, but I take them off the second my camera comes and stick in the box (just so I don't lose them) and I have no trouble shooting in weather of all kinds. I do think you wouldn't want to have a bunch of moisture on the camera and then decide to put an external flash on (even one that is sealed) and fire it. But as long as you don't do that, I think you are safe.
12-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

A problem could arise from no cover if the camera sends voltage to the contacts, but I suspect as long as the flash is not enabled, there is no voltage to those contacts. I leave mine on, and very seldom take it off. When I do, I put it in a safe place and replace it as soon as I remove the flash. I tend to use the wireless functions far more often for flash than the direct connection.

12-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some time ago a post showed a K 5, I think, with a WR lens being totally submerged to a foot or 18 inches to photograph a swimmer! Good Lord! The camera worked after that, but do we know for how long? That seems like tempting fate, to me. I've never worried about taking my K 5 or K10 out in bad weather, but having grown up with unsealed mechanical film cameras I do carry a plastic shopping bag in my kit for bad weather shielding. Better safe than sorry.
12-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't do that either with my K10. I thought Moul Falls was a big enough test for the WR of K10 with DA* 16-50.
12-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Some time ago a post showed a K 5, I think, with a WR lens being totally submerged to a foot or 18 inches to photograph a swimmer! Good Lord! The camera worked after that, but do we know for how long? That seems like tempting fate, to me. I've never worried about taking my K 5 or K10 out in bad weather, but having grown up with unsealed mechanical film cameras I do carry a plastic shopping bag in my kit for bad weather shielding. Better safe than sorry.
I was sea kayaking this summer with the k-5 and 50-135. Camera and lens was fully submerged by a large wave with no ill effects. Not something I'd recommend, but a good indication of the sealing I think.
12-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'm Sandy. The dog is Sammy
Derp, I knew that. I type MUCH faster than I think.

12-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I'll be taking my k-30 to some of the waterfalls in Hawaii next month - I'll be most likely picking up a DA 18-135mm WR.
My old K-x / Sigma 18-200mm survived (got pretty wet) Alaska rain during a trip - but it took a while to get the fog out of the lens, and a couple of days for the LCD to dry out.
12-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
I'll be taking my k-30 to some of the waterfalls in Hawaii next month - I'll be most likely picking up a DA 18-135mm WR.
My old K-x / Sigma 18-200mm survived (got pretty wet) Alaska rain during a trip - but it took a while to get the fog out of the lens, and a couple of days for the LCD to dry out.
That 18-135 will be a much better choice than that poor Sigma. You are lucky it still works.

I have been working hard to destroy my 18-135 lately. Fortunately it is much more robust than I would have believed. I was out shooting in one of those wintertime rainstorms followed by an immediate drop from 35F to 4F. Needless to say what started out soaked turned quickly to ice. There were sheets of ice and I actually fell twice before getting back home. On one of the falls the lens hood bounced off the asphalt pretty hard. The camera and the lens both survived with no apparent damage though I haven't used either of them since. Thhough I am pretty proud of my LX I am not even absolutely sure how well it would have held up on this adventure.
12-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Yup - it isn't the DC II HSM version, but the 'original' 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 DC, it's a rugged walkabout lens. As for the camera - it met its match another way 6 months later when it went bouncing down the street (with 18-200mm lens on!), as it fell out the back of an SUV parked on a hill while visiting for Xmas. Believe it or not, the lens is still good, and the camera is in limp mode. LCD died, and most of the functions on the dial won't work - except for action mode and movie mode, and the flash is good.

I'm impressed at how well the K-x / lens did. After trying out the Canon Tx/Nikon D3200/D5200 I think those cameras/lenses would have fared worse - especially the Canon with its external touch display that articulates.
12-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

I bet there was a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach when that happened.