Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everyone else was huddled under tents etc. I was standing in the open shooting these. It wasn't a downpour but I was soaked thru by the time I was done. I was shooting with my K200D and DA-L 55-300mm zoom. I dried everything off real well afterwards. No problems to this day. Just use some common sense.

12-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I decided to go for a nature hike during the snow storm that just hit us in the north east US. I kept the K5 with DA 50-135 slung around me the entire time and even dropped it in the snow a few times. Still works.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SPH-L300  Photo 
12-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I certainly hope my new K5iis is WR. That is the only reason I bought the silly thing. All the rest of the goodies, IQ, ergonomics, etc are all icing on the cake and I am very glad they are there. But the weather resistance is critical. Up to this point whenever the weather got bad my LX came out, but loading film in a rain, snow or dust storm is a bit of a challenge, to put it mildly. If it is as good as everyone claims it is it will replace the LX as my foul weather tool.
12-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I certainly hope my new K5iis is WR. That is the only reason I bought the silly thing. All the rest of the goodies, IQ, ergonomics, etc are all icing on the cake and I am very glad they are there. But the weather resistance is critical. Up to this point whenever the weather got bad my LX came out, but loading film in a rain, snow or dust storm is a bit of a challenge, to put it mildly. If it is as good as everyone claims it is it will replace the LX as my foul weather tool.
Don't forget you need a WR or * lens before taking it out in the rain...I don't see one in your signature block. I put my 18-135 on my k-30 and ran it under the sink (at very low pressure) to check while still in my 30 day return window. Took it out in a tropical storm later that summer. 20 inches of rain later, not a single hiccup.

12-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #35
Pentaxian

If your really worried there are always "Camera Condems" as a friend of mine calls them. I have even fashioned something similar out of the dreaded plastic grocery bags and a rubber band to hold it around the lens.

OP/TECH USA 18" Rainsleeve (Set of 2) 9001132 B&H Photo
12-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Don't forget you need a WR or * lens before taking it out in the rain...I don't see one in your signature block. I put my 18-135 on my k-30 and ran it under the sink (at very low pressure) to check while still in my 30 day return window. Took it out in a tropical storm later that summer. 20 inches of rain later, not a single hiccup.
Thanks. I do have the 18-135WR (I think that is the range.) At some point Pentax will build me a WR FA31 and I will become a very happy camper. Of course I am also looking very closely at the new 20-40 Limited and may end up moving that way in early 2014.

As for my sig, I have so many cameras and lenses there is no possible way to fit them all in there. The ones that I have listed are the ones I seem to use more than any of the others. I suppose I should figure out how to add in the 18-135 since it will be the primary walk around.

Interestingly, my LX is very reliable in the rain and I still do use it as well. The lenses aren't WR but I set my reliable old M50/2 at f8 or f5.6, wrap a tight rubber band around the base of the lens where it meets the camera, put a UVa filter on the front with a hood and just go do my thing. The camera holds up just fine and has never had any trouble. The lens does end up getting pretty damp sometimes but it dries out inside pretty quickly when I get back to the house. Eventually I imagine it will begin to fall apart, but if it does I'll buy another for $25 and move on. Of course changing film is where things can get dicey. If I can't dry the back of the camera off and get under shelter, I don't open the back. This is really where the K5iis overtakes the LX in my opinion, and was the entire reason I bought it.
12-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I know the system is very well sealed but I wonder about something....I lost that little black plastic hotshoe-cover of my K20d, could the exposed contacts be a risk? My own theory is that little thingy is just a cover and not really a WRseal, are the contacts themselves sealed from inside the body?

12-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
My own theory is that little thingy is just a cover and not really a WRseal,
+1 on that.
I ditched the hot-shoe covers on day one. Have not had any problems so far.
12-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I took the K-5 and DA*50-135 for a walk with my wife and dog. I didn't have a bag so it just stayed slung over my shoulder....

It rained like this for 30 minutes: no problems.
12-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I took the K-5 and DA*50-135 for a walk with my wife and dog. I didn't have a bag so it just stayed slung over my shoulder....It rained like this for 30 minutes: no problems.
Sandy looks less amused than the wife!
12-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
+1 on that.
I ditched the hot-shoe covers on day one. Have not had any problems so far.
That`s good to know, ever since that cover is lost, I try to keep it out of moisture.
12-15-2013, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
That`s good to know, ever since that cover is lost, I try to keep it out of moisture.
Here is an old image...

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:45 PM.
12-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Now that is reassuring, tfs!
12-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Sandy looks less amused than the wife!
I'm Sandy. The dog is Sammy
12-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'm Sandy. The dog is Sammy
My daughter used to get really upset when we would inadvertently say "Go pee, Tanya" instead of "Go pee, Tammy"