Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2008, 04:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K20D experiences

If you liked the K10D you will love this camera, Pentax are at last getting things right, well almost.

The auto white balance is much improved even in warm lighting and the exposure seems much more accurate but beware this camera will blow highlights. Noise in RAW images, is different to what I have been used to with other Pentax DSLR’s. Excellent at ISO100 but very visible at ISO200 so you expect it to be unusable at ISO1600 / 3200 but it is not, it is very good. The new in camera noise reduction for JPG images seems to work very well.

Focus accuracy seems much better and the ability to be able to adjust for DA lens is great but needs to be done with care.

Is this the first Pentax DSLR that will produce great JPG images straight from the box?

(Very) Highly Recommended ! It is a great camera.

Here you can see some K20D video reviews: Videoclips about Pentax K20D Digital Camera

Problems:

Focusing accuracy still affected by light temperature.

The Expand Dynamic Range function as far as I can tell only works in JPG where it gives up to one stop of protection from burning highlights.

Like the K10 when it was first introduced, there is an error in DNG files that cause Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom to indicate inaccurate image colour temperature. With DNG files this makes the use of the standard Lightroom settings for daylight etc, unusable and it displays incorrect value for green / magenta tint. PEF files are not affected.

04-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #2
hll

Photos: Gallery
what do you think about (k10d vs k20d)
iso performances at 1600
focus speed???
SR?
any REAL development????
thanks
04-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gubak Quote
If you liked the K10D you will love this camera, Pentax are at last getting things right, well almost.
. . .

>Problems:

>Focusing accuracy still affected by light temperature.

I found this, too. I adjusted a bunch of lenses while testing under tungsten light.
Later ended up undoing the adjustment after seeing that it was perfect
without adjustment under daylight conditions.

>The Expand Dynamic Range function as far as I can tell only works in JPG where it gives up to one stop of protection from burning highlights.

I shoot only RAW and found the expanded DR to make a noticeable difference.

QuoteQuote:
Like the K10 when it was first introduced, there is an error in DNG files that cause Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom to indicate inaccurate image colour temperature. With DNG files this makes the use of the standard Lightroom settings for daylight etc, unusable and it displays incorrect value for green / magenta tint. PEF files are not affected.
Fixed in LR 1.4 (bug-fixed version due out soon).

My only real issue so far is the current inability to switch off dark-frame subtraction nr for long exposures. I keep reading speculations that it will be added to a firmware fix. Some may not care about this at all.

I've been enjoying the k20d a lot. Highly Recommended (Thoroughly).
--
dbh
04-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
WRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am finding the same to be true. The K20D is immediately recognized as an improvement.

04-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

it's more betterer