Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K10d Locked-up

My K10d locked up today when I pressed the shutter release. The veiwfinder went dark, but the digital readouts in the viewfinder and on top of the camera stayed lit. When I tried to turn off the camera, all the digital readouts stayed lit. I tried turning the camera on and off several times to no effect. Then I removed the battery and put it back in and the camera resumed working properly. I was shooting in aperature priority at f/2.8, ISO 400, with the 540 FGZ flashgun turned on, and the Tamron 28-70 f2.8 DI lens. It seemed like the mirror locked up, but the bizarre thing was the constantly lit readouts. After putting the battery back in, I continued to be able to shoot with no trouble.
Has anyone had this experience with the K10d or other DSLRs? I never had it happen with the *istDs.
Any ideas on the cause? Camera or Battery?
It was very disconcerting. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Regards,
Erl

01-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Erl
It happened to me once with my DS but my batteries were running low. Almost exactly the same symptoms top and viewfinder displays on but nothing else and no response to the controls. Instead of removing the batteries I opened the SD door and the camera went off then. Replaced with fresh batteries and never had a repeat. But it was scary.

NaCl(your battery more than 1/2 charged?)H2O
01-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
Any ideas on the cause?
Gremlins.

Seriously, as scary as it is when it happens, there probably isn't anything to worry about unless it becomes a frequent event. Could be the battery (if it was low), could be a hiccup in the system, could be one of the little men inside the camera falling asleep on the job, etc.

You did the right thing by taking the battery out and starting the camera again.
01-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did it on my *ist-D when it got too hot (like sitting in a car on a hot day) and I didn't let it cool some before turning it on. Did it a couple times when batteries got low-especially without the battery grip or when using rechargeables. Did it once when a rechargeable failed. Winter static from dragging feet on carpet froze it once when I sparked the hotshoe while removing 360 flash.

Removing batteries, having a cold drink, getting blood pressure and heartbeat down to normal then reinstalling batteries fixed it every time.

01-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Inactive Account

This even happened to me with my PZ-1P (film). Turned out to be a low battery. Happened once, never again. My *istD would malfunction when the little watch battery would start to die. The K10 doesn't have the watch battery I have one less battery to worry about.
01-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #6

My K10D has locked up like that a couple of times, same fix, perhaps the new firmware will fix it.
01-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you all for sharing your similar experiences. I hope that my camera freeze up turns out to be as innocent and as infrequent as yours. It helps to know that I am not the only one who has had this happen and that all, will, hopefully be fine. One common theme in your responses seemed to be a low or non-fully charged battery. My battery is probably less than half full.
Thanks again.
Erl

01-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Happened first time today my K100D. Took some shots fine, then dead shutter. Said "hmmm", and turned it off. Top readout stayed on (did not check LCD which was covered by pop up shade in closed position, and I did not check the viewfinder). Turned on then off again, no change. "hmm" again. Removed and re-installed batteries and worked fine.
01-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It has happen on my K10D few times too, manual reads:

"In rare cases, the camera may not operate correctly due to static electricity. This can be remedied by taking the batteries out and putting them back in again... After the procedure is done, if the camera operates correctly, it does not require any repairs" Page 220...

I though it was a little strange when it happened first time, but I pretty much traced it to static as suggested, getting out of the car in the cold, dry weather and grabbing the camera.

No sweat...

Regards,
D
02-02-2007, 03:05 PM   #10

I got my K10d yesterday and it has locked up 4 times already.
02-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bassfishman Quote
I got my K10d yesterday and it has locked up 4 times already.
Mine hasn't locked up since, thankfully. Assuming it is static electricity, as the manual states, perhaps you might try using it in a different location. I do not know what the weather has been like in TN lately, but it has been static central here in the DC area.
Someone also suggested making sure the battery is fully charged. I hope that one of those issues is your problem. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Best wishes.

Erl
02-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by peted Quote
My K10D has locked up like that a couple of times, same fix, perhaps the new firmware will fix it.
I have not had a lockup since installing the new firmware.

Just thought you would all like to know.

Pete
02-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #13
wll
Veteran Member

No Lock Up Yet

I have two batteries and when the grip is empty I remove it and put in a replacement. When the body battery is running low I change it also. I try to keep the body battery charged and use as a backup for the grip battery. No problems yet.

wll
02-03-2007, 06:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had something like this one time with my *istD, but it was so long ago that I don't remember now the exact sequence. In my case the mirror stayed down, but the camera would not respond in any way. Solution ws the same, pull the batteries, essentually the equivelent to the Windows three finger salute (Ctrl-Alt-Delete). I think this might have been with V1.0 of the firmware.

Since then, I have done everything unthinkable to the *istD without long term problems, including getting wet, which had the camera in a continous shoot mode, and steamed up the top display (the *istD wasn't meant for Kayaking!) but this was fixed by leaving the camera upside down (water entered through top controls, hence let it drain the same way) and in the sun for an afternoon to dry out. Camera has worked flawlessly for 2 1/2 years since.

I have also let the batteries run down, which does leave the camera in funny modes similar to what is described, as does trying to use inexpensive batteries when caught wigh my good rechargeables dead.

One thing to consider with the K10D, which people may not think about is the weatherproofing. This works both ways, while it keeps weather out, you need to be careful about installing batteries and memory cards in the nice warm and relatively humid house, car or inside pockets, and then going out to the freezing cold where there is a possibility the moisture trapped the camera interferes with electrical contacts.

Has anyone thought about letting the batteries and memory stabalize to the cold first? This may not be crazy, removing the batteries outside when the camera locks up opens the door and lets things stabalize (humidity wise)
02-03-2007, 06:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

its like a computer crash.. system lock up.. removing the batteries (depowering) is doing a cold reboot..

it happens.. but it shouldnt happen often in normal circumstances.. if it does the device has a problem..

trog