Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 memory cards

When I bought the K5, I added two SanDisk Extreme III 8GB cards (30MB/s, class 6) and I'm happy with them. It's time to add a few more but those no longer exist.

These seem to be the closest I can find: Ultra SDHC and SDXC Memory Card by SanDisk only difference seems the (irrelevant for me) class rating and I'm planning to buy two 16GBs (8GB is a bit tight at occasion).

I will stick with SanDisk (they have never failed me).

1)
Are those the right models?
2)
Options for use in the K10D and K100D (assume up-to-date firmware).
2a)
K100D manual mentions SD cards (not SDHC). Will they work? Up to which capacity?
2b)
K10D manual mentions SD cards and SDHC. Up to which capacity?

Thanks in advance for advise.

11-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The k10d will take sdhc cards up to 32 gb. I believe that the k100d will too, after a firmware update.

Standard SD cards are up to 4 gigabytes though most are only two gb or smaller.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

They are just called SanDisk Extreme now. They are still available here in the USA. Not sure about South Africa though.

SD Cards for DSLRs and Other Digital Cameras from SanDisk
12-01-2013, 03:40 AM   #4

The Ultra class cards you link may be considerably slower to write than the ones you've been using.

Using a K10D and later K5, I went from 4GB Extreme III class 6 cards (purchased late 2008) to a 16GB card that looks similar to the ones you link. Mine is labeled class 6, not class 10, but the label otherwise looks identical -- Ultra, SDHC I, and definitely the same 30MB/s rating printed on it. I bought it maybe early 2012.

I was surprised how much more waiting I had to do for the newer card. I'm not much of a high-speed shooter -- very rarely use continuous shutter, never fill the buffer -- but I'll often take several single shots in sequence, usually to bracket focus. There's noticeably more of a delay with the newer card between taking a few shots and being able to e.g. enter playback. A quick test on my K5: 3 RAW+jpeg shots in continuous (Hi) with the lens cap on, shutter press to playback on (i.e. including shooting time) takes about 4 seconds with the old card and 7 with the new. Subjectively, it adds up to a fair amount of waiting on the card when I least want to, enough that I've since decided it's worth paying something of a premium for faster cards.

FWIW B&H lists read and write ratings for their various SanDisk cards. For the class 10 Ultras you link they report _MIN_ write speed of 10MB/s. For the Extreme cards kkoether mentions, it's _MAX_ 45MB/s and up.

Anybody know of anything more comprehensive, or more directly comparable?

Meanwhile, I can confirm that my 16GB SDHC card works fine in my K10D aside from the subjective speed issue, and that a 64 GB Sony class 10 SDXC (slower again than either of the above in the K5, by the way) isn't recognized at all.

12-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Everybody thanks for their replies.

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
They are just called SanDisk Extreme now. They are still available here in the USA. Not sure about South Africa though.
They should be; I'm aware that there are still 'extreme' cards; they however come at a premium; extreme pro is over 3x the price of the Ultra I linked to but I will see if I can find the normal 'extreme'.

QuoteOriginally posted by josh h Quote
The Ultra class cards you link may be considerably slower to write than the ones you've been using.

Using a K10D and later K5, I went from 4GB Extreme III class 6 cards (purchased late 2008) to a 16GB card that looks similar to the ones you link. Mine is labeled class 6, not class 10, but the label otherwise looks identical -- Ultra, SDHC I, and definitely the same 30MB/s rating printed on it. I bought it maybe early 2012.

FWIW B&H lists read and write ratings for their various SanDisk cards. For the class 10 Ultras you link they report _MIN_ write speed of 10MB/s. For the Extreme cards kkoether mentions, it's _MAX_ 45MB/s and up.

Anybody know of anything more comprehensive, or more directly comparable?
Thanks for that. There should not be a difference. 30MB/s specifies the maximum throughput. The class rating gives the minimum sustainable throughput and is only relevant for video. Source: Difference between Speed Class, UHS Speed Class, and Speed Ratings (performance) for SD/SDHC/SDXC cards. The K5 can't make use of the 45MB/s as far as I know and hence the looking for 30MB/s class 10 cards.

QuoteOriginally posted by josh h Quote
Meanwhile, I can confirm that my 16GB SDHC card works fine in my K10D aside from the subjective speed issue, and that a 64 GB Sony class 10 SDXC (slower again than either of the above in the K5, by the way) isn't recognized at all.
I seem to remember that when the K5 came out, there were some discussions around SDXC.

PS Found the SanDisk Extreme 16GB 45MB/s SDHC Card (at a 50% premium)

Last edited by sterretje; 12-01-2013 at 09:49 AM.
12-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Thanks for that. There should not be a difference. 30MB/s specifies the maximum throughput. The class rating gives the minimum sustainable throughput and is only relevant for video. Source: Difference between Speed Class, UHS Speed Class, and Speed Ratings (performance) for SD/SDHC/SDXC cards. The K5 can't make use of the 45MB/s as far as I know and hence the looking for 30MB/s class 10 cards.
Interesting, thanks. Good luck with the new cards.