Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #1

K100D image adjustment

How can I most quickly adjust my K100D default settings to give a more realistic, less yellow image?

as this review says, the default images are "garish and over-sharpened". Most photos indoors and out, except those in bright sunlight, have a distinct yellow/orange tinge. Nothing like what I am used to in my film camera (spotmatic with takumar lenses), which took photos that looked very true to what I was seeing. I was never a very sophisticated film SLR user, but I always got excellent photos especially outdoors

The review also says " it takes a minute to adjust the settings and then the images show wide dynamic range, excellent detail and rich but true colour"

How? which settings??

As you can tell I am a DSLR newbie. I took the camera on holiday last year and spent a couple of days playing with the manual and the camera and didn't get what I wanted. I know I should do a DSLR course, but now, I am mother of a 4month old baby and I want to photograph him before he is 2 . That's why I need a quick adjustment, so I can pick the camera up quickly and get shooting before bubs gets grumpy.

TIA for any help!

04-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

personally I use the camera at Bright, +2 Sharpen, -2 Saturation and +1 Contrast and i don't notice these garish and oversharpened pictures. to me the pictures are not sharp enough.

but to each their own, in the Menu settings there are choices for Colour Tone, Sharpness, Contrast and Saturation. for your issues, I would first make sure the Colour Tone is set to Natural, decrease the sharpness, and tone down the saturation. according to the DPReview of the K100D, the saturation is a bit much which I would agree
04-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the yellowishness (my new word lol) is from indoor pics probably w/ incadescent or flourescent light. I will usually use a custom white balance setting when shooting indoors (press fn, arrow left, arrow all the way down, press ok, point at a white wall colored by the your indoor lights, press the shutter, press ok and done). Make sure you check your white balance every time you move to an area with different lighting - make this a habit!!!! - or else you'll end up with pictures that are very blue. Perhaps my steps are a bit wrong, but look up custom white balance in your manual to confirm my steps. Good luck!
04-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the pointers!
I'll experiment with those settings and see how it goes
If you think of anything else let me know

04-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Use RAW and Silkypix. Wonderfully natural colours, and all your sharpening can be done during conversion.

For jpgs I get best results by using AdobeRGB in camera and converting to sRGB in CS3. The camera doesn't get sharpening to my taste, so I prefer to keep it at -2 in cam and do my own with a mix of large radius and low radius USM passes. Contrast again is best kept low in camera, otherwise it darkens mid-tones too much making photos look underexposed, so again best done in post edit. Saturation is OK at +1 Natural. If there's still a cast, I found that a slight red gamma reduction is a pretty good tweak for the K100D. The good news is that once you've got settings to your taste they can be saved as an Action (or Script in PSP) and a folder of photos batch processed.

RAW is easier for getting dead right colours IMHO, then it's the best camera around, more natural than a friend's 5D for instance using the Canon RAW converter anyway.
04-05-2008, 05:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you seeing the yellow tint outdoors, or just indoors? If the latter, it's definitely the white balance (you maybe would have used tungsten-balanced film previously?). If you're seeing that outdoors, something else is up.

I second (or third or whatever) the recommendation for turning down the saturation a notch or two. Or, you may prefer the "Natural' tone curve, although personally I find that more flat than natural.