Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #16

It's really not worth worrying about.
The K5 is an outstanding camera.
I'm not a pro by any means, but have taken too many 'postcard shots' to count, from action to landscapes, and some not so bad (but working on improving) portraits.

As my wife has now 'caught the bug,' I'll likely be picking up a second K5 or K5-ii body in the not too distant future. Which one is irrelevant to me, as I've yet to miss any shots due to the camera itself or it's capabilities. I am still waiting for a nice deal on a DA* 60-250, however.

I would go ahead and pay the $20 at B&H or Adorama for the extended warrantee, as if for no other reason, you can get a free checkup and cleaning on it as it comes up on 3 years. I'm just waiting to pick up a second body, then will be doing the same, as my K5 is coming up on 3 years now give or take a few months..

Get out and shoot, and don't worry about it, seriously.

12-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
Forum Member

I think davids8560 realizes that his K5 is good enough guys.
12-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yes, I get it! But I am glad someone mentioned the extended warranty because I think I will get it. But I need to know what the policy covers. $20 seems way too cheap!

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-16-2013 at 01:09 PM.
12-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I have a K5 and have not been enticed to upgrade to the II or IIs nor the K3.
Oh, I've been tempted but my skill level no where near approaches what even my *istD can do let alone my K-5

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Should you feel bad - absolutely not!!! At the end of the run - prices get squirrley anyway. When the K5 came out it was a $1700 camera.
Exactly. I got my K-5 with 18-55WR for $715 from the Australian agent. I'll wait for the K-3 to be replaced before I upgrade again - although my wife did say I could get a K-3 for our upcoming European holiday. Nah, I'll take the K-5 with the Q as backup.

12-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
Yes, I get it! But I am glad someone mentioned the extended warranty because I think I will get it. But I need to know what the policy covers. $20 seems way too cheap!
It extends the factory warrantee (the extended warrantee is by Pentax, not a 3rd party) fully by 2 years, and entitles to one free checkup and cleaning during that time whether any problems occur or not.
Amusingly, B&H and Adorama seem to be 'sold out' currently (it's literally just a card, but ties to your cameras S/N), but you can find one if you look around a bit, or perhaps call either B&H or Adorama.
12-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
It extends the factory warrantee (the extended warrantee is by Pentax, not a 3rd party) fully by 2 years, and entitles to one free checkup and cleaning during that time whether any problems occur or not.
Amusingly, B&H and Adorama seem to be 'sold out' currently (it's literally just a card, but ties to your cameras S/N), but you can find one if you look around a bit, or perhaps call either B&H or Adorama.

Sold out? Hmm. The insurer must have over-extended itself, cost effectiveness-wise, huh!
12-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
Sold out? Hmm. The insurer must have over-extended itself, cost effectiveness-wise, huh!
Naah, I think it's just typical but silly supply chain issues...both Adorama and B&H have cycled through in stock and out of stock on and off over time that I saw.
Seems silly to not just let retailers print and/or submit an extended warrantee ties to a camera SN purely online, or just buy direct from a Pentax site, but - what can ya do?
12-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
Naah, I think it's just typical but silly supply chain issues...both Adorama and B&H have cycled through in stock and out of stock on and off over time that I saw.
Seems silly to not just let retailers print and/or submit an extended warrantee ties to a camera SN purely online, or just buy direct from a Pentax site, but - what can ya do?

What can ya do? I'm boarding the next plane to Washington!