Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Essentially Speaking - K-5 vs K-5 II, K-5 IIs

So! All these Black Friday deals are starting to make me wonder...

I just bought a brand new leftover K-5 from a reseller for $639 a few weeks ago. I was really excited. Thought I got a great deal! Figured I really wasn't missing out on all that much when I did side-by-side comparisons of all three K-5's. But what do I know?

So now I'm seeing the K-5 II new for $40 less than I paid for my K-5, and I guess I gotta ask...

Essentially speaking, am I really missing out on all that much, apart from the sharpness filter improvements?

As a guy who has owned a few DSLR's but never really learned how to use them, the original K-5 is enough for now, isn't it? I hope so! I mean, I really do like it. I'm not knocking it. I'm just wondering...

Cause it looks like I coulda been a contender for one the newer, latest greatest models, after all!

If only I had known about Black Friday...

And I can't even return the K-5 if I decided to because it came from one of those all-sales-are-final liquidating reseller outfits. I mean,it's new, it's authentic, and it's great - but it's not going back!

Should I be saddened, regretful, despairing? LOL but really, sort of!

Sigh...

12-04-2013, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well going from the k-5 to the k-5II wouldn't really be sharpness improvements - it would be the -3EV autofocus only.
12-04-2013, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote

I just bought a brand new leftover K-5 from a reseller for $639 a few weeks ago. I was really excited. Thought I got a great deal! Figured I really wasn't missing out on all that much when I did side-by-side comparisons of all three K-5's. But what do I know?

So now I'm seeing the K-5 II new for $40 less than I paid for my K-5, and I guess I gotta ask...

Essentially speaking, am I really missing out on all that much, apart from the sharpness filter improvements?

As a guy who has owned a few DSLR's but never really learned how to use them, the original K-5 is enough for now, isn't it? I hope so! I mean, I really do like it. I'm not knocking it. I'm just wondering...

Cause it looks like I coulda been a contender for one the newer, latest greatest models, after all!

And I can't even return the K-5 if I decided to because it came from one of those all-sales-are-final liquidating reseller outfits. I mean,it's new, it's authentic, and it's great - but it's not going back!

Sigh...
Well, the $599 price is gone anyway, and the K-5 II has sold out at B&H, so you should be happy you got a brand new K-5

The K-5 II is literally the same thing as the K-5 except they put in an AF system that's more sensitive in low light. Unless you do a lot of shooting at night, you're not missing out on anything.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-04-2013, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote

Sigh...
Should you be regretful? if your one of those who has to have the latest and greatest equipment than maybe, but if your someone who is still learning the ins and outs of DSLR equipment than not really.

You should take a look at the pentaxphotogaller.com web link, and browse through the gallery because there are tons of photographers who take incredible shots with older models which are inspiring as well as breath taking.

The upgrade from the k5 to the K5II/s is not a substantial upgrade, but a leap forward.

I wouldn't worry yourself David, just enjoy your k5, and do your best to master this art, and if down the road you find that this hobby becomes a more passionate outlet for your creativity than make the jump to better image processing technology.

That's my 2/cents.

12-04-2013, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

The K5 is capable of creating exceptional images. That's really the bottom line. There will always be a "better" camera.
12-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well, the $599 price is gone anyway, and the K-5 II has sold out at B&H, so you should be happy you got a brand new K-5

The K-5 II is literally the same thing as the K-5 except they put in an AF system that's more sensitive in low light. Unless you do a lot of shooting at night, you're not missing out on anything.
Also add the fixed problem with AF in heavily tinted light, the one thing that really made me think hard before buying another K-5 instead of the newer one.
12-04-2013, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

My take: The only real difference between the K-5 and K-5ii is the latter's better ability to focus in dim indoor lighting. I don't shoot much in those conditions and have never had any problems, so I have never considered upgrading.

The K-3 offers more, but still not enough for me to upgrade. The K-5 is simply too good. And it really is good.

There will always be a better offer around the next corner, no matter what you buy and when. Forget the Black Friday deals and enjoy what you have
12-04-2013, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

It's not like K-5 suddenly went from a wonderful and top-rated camera to obsolete worthless junk after Black Friday. I got two of them and many others here have the same and they still work as wonderful as ever.

12-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

For those who really know ... Please tell me:

Does the K-5II have less noise with High ISO compared to the K-5 ?

And if so - can you tell me if that's just the same for the video-mode ?

Thanks for telling !
12-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Think of them as the same camera when it comes to image quality, but with other differances. For Video I leave it to others to answer.
12-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

IQ is the same ? OK, well, but ...

All test-.sites said it had less high ISO noise - That is completely wrong ?

I may have remembered wrongly ...
12-15-2013, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It's not like K-5 suddenly went from a wonderful and top-rated camera to obsolete worthless junk after Black Friday. I got two of them and many others here have the same and they still work as wonderful as ever.
Not true. See Man Uses Old DSLR camera at Youth Soccer Match, Nearly Hurts Someone | New Camera News

QuoteQuote:
The camera in question, a Pentax K-5, was well-regarded in it’s time but has since been eclipsed by at least a hundred new cameras (and a number of smart phones) in terms of megapickles and sheer newness. To put some historical perspective on this, the K-5 was introduced in 2010, back when the iPhone 4 was the latest smartphone and a new thing call the “iPad” was released. At this point, so many years later, the K-5 does not have class-leading anything
12-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

The K5 and K5 II have equivalent image quality. The only real difference in shooting is that the K5 II has improved auto focus in certain (very dark, odd lighting) situations. Depending on what you shoot, that can make it worthwhile to get a K5 II over the K5, but as far as image quality, everything else, it is the same. Don't worry. Shoot your K5 and if you run up against any limitations with it, then you can see what else is out there...
12-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K5 and have not been enticed to upgrade to the II or IIs nor the K3. I have had it 2 years now and am still very satisfied. The II and IIs were essentially a stop gap measure until Pentax was able to bring out the K3. Even when the II and IIs came out the advice was that there was not a large enough difference to upgrade. Both the II and IIs have improve focusing in very dark conditions, and the IIs has an 8% increase in resolution with the AA filter removed (but with more aggressive sharpening the results can be made the same).

Should you feel bad - absolutely not!!! At the end of the run - prices get squirrley anyway. When the K5 came out it was a $1700 camera. I will say that for $20 you should buy a Pentax extended warranty to move the original warranty from 1 year to 3 years. Its the best deal around.Enjoy the camera and go out and shoot - I just remembered that there is white stuff (snow) on the ground back there - cold, burr. On second though, stay inside and take cat pictures....

12-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Get out and shoot, by the time you feel like run into the limits of your new camera then maybe, just maybe, the time has come to think about upgrading your excellent camera.