Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #1

Remove Noise

Sometimes I'll take shoots in ISO 3200. Then I will go and take photos of something else and forget the camera is set at 3200. I think the grain looks awful, I was the one in my college photography class that complained we used 400 speed film rather than 100. Is there a way in on the computer, in Photoshop, the Pentax software, or another software to reduce this noise?

01-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there are ways...

QuoteOriginally posted by stacylynn Quote
Sometimes I'll take shoots in ISO 3200. Then I will go and take photos of something else and forget the camera is set at 3200. I think the grain looks awful, I was the one in my college photography class that complained we used 400 speed film rather than 100. Is there a way in on the computer, in Photoshop, the Pentax software, or another software to reduce this noise?
In Photoshop, by using a plugin such as Noise Ninja or Neat Image. Both can be purchased as standalone software too, IIRC....

Noise Ninja: The gold standard for image noise reduction
Neat Image - best noise reduction for digital cameras and scanners

I learned the hard way like you - now I always boot up the camera and confirm the settings before I leave the house or begin shooting....

Good luck!

Cheers,
Marc
01-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
In Photoshop, by using a plugin such as Noise Ninja or Neat Image. Both can be purchased as standalone software too, IIRC....

Noise Ninja: The gold standard for image noise reduction
Neat Image - best noise reduction for digital cameras and scanners

I learned the hard way like you - now I always boot up the camera and confirm the settings before I leave the house or begin shooting....

Good luck!

Cheers,
Marc
I will second neat image.
the only thing about both of these programs is it sometimes makes everyone in the photo has skin like porcelain dolls
do the noise reduction in moderation and every thing will be fine

Photoshop CS2 has one as well, but I haven't had to much luck getting results as good as the above 2 programs.

good luck

randy
01-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've heard the most about Noise Ninja... as previously said, don't overdo it, or you wont be happy with the results.... good luck!

01-19-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I have just, today, downloaded the free trial for Neat Image. It will only let you clean up an area of 1200 x 1200 pixels for the demo, but from the little bit I have tried so far it seems to do a very good job. I will consider purchasing the full version as it seems far more useable than Photo Shop. I have no experience of Noise Ninja.

Regards
Kim
01-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stacylynn Quote
Most of the Raw workflow programs have some sort of noise reduction feature. I believe that Bibble Pro uses Noise Ninja, which you can also get a separate license for. Adobe Lightroom has its own noise reduction sliders that work pretty well.

But you should be aware that noise reduction after the fact is like almost every other form of post-processing: you're better off if you don't have to do it. If the noise is really bad, no software can really fix it. And it's possible to tell when a picture has been run through noise reduction the same way you can tell when someone's had a face lift: everything looks unnaturally smooth. In my opinion, it's sometimes better to leave the noise alone and see if you can get people to accept it as artistic. I try to fix the noise only when it's not very bad to start with.

Will
01-20-2007, 12:03 AM   #7

Noise

You might like to try Imagenomic Noiseware.There is a free community edition and although I prefer not to use an anti - noise it does sometimes gives the better result.
Here is the url:Imagenomic - Imagination at Shutter Speed
Good Luck:Ian Mc

01-21-2007, 01:14 AM   #8
Forum Member

I personally am a huge fan of Neat Image. I actually put the K10D noise profiles up there.

I think it's really great, but of course I like to use it in moderation. Typically what I do is I drag a bunch of images onto Neat Image, where it starts processing them immediately one by one in the queue. Then I take the original and the resultant filtered file in Photoshop and slap them on top of each other as layers and play around with cutting and clearing and layer transparency.
01-21-2007, 07:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sklathill Quote
I personally am a huge fan of Neat Image. I actually put the K10D noise profiles up there.

I think it's really great, but of course I like to use it in moderation. Typically what I do is I drag a bunch of images onto Neat Image, where it starts processing them immediately one by one in the queue. Then I take the original and the resultant filtered file in Photoshop and slap them on top of each other as layers and play around with cutting and clearing and layer transparency.
what a great idea!

I wish there was an edit>fade filter for the neat image effect in photoshop someday so we could have more control over the output.

thanks for the tip

randy
01-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sklathill Quote

we must have had the same teacher as this is what i do except with NN..
01-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Why not making a duplicate layer, apply the noise reduction and then adjust opacity and even use the brush tool for removing the noise reduction effect from parts of the picture if desired?

regards,
01-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #12
Forum Member

You can fade the neat image effect after you've applied it in Photoshop. It's there in front of me in my good old photoshop 6.

I'm really used to just using Neat Image outside of Photoshop, just because I've used it for so long as the cheaper standalone version and only recently upgraded to the more expensive version with PS plugin for the K10D's raw files...