Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The celebration was at Cebu but I thought they were talking about all Pentax production.
The wording used to describe the 20m celebration at the time was very ambiguous - in the same sentence they say 'every DSLR' and then 'every camera', but I think it is just a matter of present and past tense. I think the implication is SLR's.

And they do not directly say that the 20m all came out of Cebu, but cite 20m as the historical total of all Pentax camera output worldwide. I think that's what they mean.

QuoteQuote:
Do you know that every Pentax DSLR is manufactured in Cebu in the Pentax factory? That's right, every Pentax DSLR shipped to the entire world comes from our Queen City of the South. In commemoration of the 20 millionth camera manufactured, a special photo contest will be held on September 14, 2013 at the Pacific Cebu Resort. We welcome you to attend if you live in Cebu or happen to be there during this time.
https://www.facebook.com/pentaxph

And adding to the mystery , on the same Pentax Philippines Facebook page, another date and production tally: by 1981 Pentax had made 10 million SLR's.

QuoteQuote:
"It was in October 1981 when Pentax made available 300 limited edition Pentax LX Gold cameras to celebrate the company's production of 10 million SLR cameras the first camera manufacturer to reach that milestone."
So between 1981 and 2013, another 10 million SLR's were made. But it's still not clear what contribution Cebu manufactured SLRs made to the tally.

Which leads to lots of other questions. When did Pentax stop manufacturing film bodies (6x7, 645, 135) in Japan? When did Cebu start? Was there a period where camera bodies were made both in Japan and Cebu?

12-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
So between 1981 and 2013, another 10 million SLR's were made. But it's still not clear what contribution Cebu manufactured SLRs made to the tally.
I just chalked it up to the 20 millionth SLR rolled off the manufacturing line at Cebu. Pentax use to have an animated timeline that went back to the original Ashiflex camera and rolled forward decade by decade with the major milestones of the various bodies and production milestones (1 million, 5 million, etc.). I can't find it any longer - other than 404 screens. It is kind of a shame, it appears almost now that all "history" started with Ricoh.

12-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Pentax use to have an animated timeline that went back to the original Ashiflex camera and rolled forward decade by decade with the major milestones of the various bodies and production milestones (1 million, 5 million, etc.). I can't find it any longer - other than 404 screens. It is kind of a shame, it appears almost now that all "history" started with Ricoh.
Deleting the past happens often when corporations are bought or institutions merge. Current marketing wisdom seems to be:

1. We want to keep that which was good from the past, but start a new, modern tradition that is our own new identity;
  2. Most of the people who will be attached to the old identity are dead, or will be soon;
  3. Most of the younger people, who are our (customers, donors, students, paying parents) have different values than their elders and don't respond to the old touch points (values?) the same way as people did in the past. The past can be a hindrance in that case;
  4. Whatever was made in or of the past wasn't Made by Me from the perspective of the current decision maker.

The only current reference to my former company, which was acquired by a smaller rival 5 years ago, is the name of my Division, which has such a large market leading position that to change it would actually be destructive.
12-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For all the companies I have firm information about, serial numbers are generated in sequence, for all their products. So 555555 might be a camera, 555556 a lens, 555557 a grip, etc. Of course there will often be grouping of numbers because if there is an order for say 100 cameras, these will be assigned their numbers in sequence.

I'm not saying it is the case with Pentax specifically, but it's the case for others companies I know.