Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Shake Reduction at moment of capture?

How's that work? In live view, if you have SR enabled full-time, you will feel the sensor shake like crazy especially with a long lens. But if you aren't using live view, or if you set live view to "SR at moment of capture only" (not available on K-5), then you feel nothing. In fact, with the K-5 when I don't use live view (most of the time), you can't feel anything ever (even after the SR icon is active and if you jiggle it a bit). Sometimes I wonder if it is working, but it does seem to have an effect.

So how does "at the moment of capture only" work? It seems to me if it needs to stabilize the sensor, it would need to continually stabilize it for at least a second or two.

12-05-2013, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
So how does "at the moment of capture only" work?
Wizardry.

Steve
12-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
My guess is that the camera continuously calculates where the sensor should be based on its accelerometer readings, but only moves the sensor just before it opens the shutter. The SR movement effectively gets smothered by the noise of the shutter's movement.

I must be losing my hearing, though. I have yet to hear the SR noise though it does work on my K-50, however I don't use LV much.
12-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
My guess is that the camera continuously calculates where the sensor should be based on its accelerometer readings, but only moves the sensor just before it opens the shutter. The SR movement effectively gets smothered by the noise of the shutter's movement.

I must be losing my hearing, though. I have yet to hear the SR noise though it does work on my K-50, however I don't use LV much.
Unless you turn on full-time SR during live view (which is not the default), you won't notice it. On the K-01, it seems to be enabled all the time AFTER the shot is taken while you're looking at the preview, which is a bit strange...

12-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
How's that work? In live view, if you have SR enabled full-time, you will feel the sensor shake like crazy especially with a long lens. But if you aren't using live view, or if you set live view to "SR at moment of capture only" (not available on K-5), then you feel nothing. In fact, with the K-5 when I don't use live view (most of the time), you can't feel anything ever (even after the SR icon is active and if you jiggle it a bit). Sometimes I wonder if it is working, but it does seem to have an effect.

So how does "at the moment of capture only" work? It seems to me if it needs to stabilize the sensor, it would need to continually stabilize it for at least a second or two.
I'd expect the camera to lock the sensor in place just before shooting, then lets compensate for the shake.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #6

Sounds like a great question to ask Pentax/Ricoh. And if Sony's sensors do the same thing.