Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well the battery thing is utter bs. I have yet to see my battery drop to 50% and I have done over 500 exposures on one day.

04-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
K10D is a greatchoce pointed ut you cancustize iIfound thi VERY handy and have everything at my fingertips, one thing you will want to do is make the front dial exposure correction this was you can ajust instantly
No offence. But I don't quite understand what you said. What is "ut you cancustize..." What do you mean by this please?

Thanks
Ben
04-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
No offence. But I don't quite understand what you said. What is "ut you cancustize..." What do you mean by this please?

Thanks
Ben
I think I had just got up, cought ahem lets try again

K10D is a great choice as pointed out you can customise it I found this VERY handy and have everything at my fingertips, one thing you will want to do is make the front dial exposure correction this way you can ajust instantly

actually I think my wireless keyboard was playing up had too many loose cables hanging around blocking the signal
04-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #34
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roro Quote
Personnally , I found numerous threads about the k10d having to be sent in for servicing, a little disturbing. I know the K200d is new, but so far no reports of duds. Also, the autofocus problems , along with all the other issues like jpeg quality, high iso performance ,and WB has been fixed. Boils down to personnal preferance. If your not a so called "pro", or close to it, a K10d will not help your skills any. If you need help with the "aperatre triangle" , a k200d will definately help you out, untill you figure things out. By then , you can pick up a K40d or whatever the new "PRO" model is, and therby crown yourself a PRO !
If someone's learning to manage the exposure triangle, the K200D is no better than the K10D. Having M, Av and Tv modes on a camera is all that's really needed to master this - in fact I'd advise anyone just learning exposure to pick up a fully manual film SLR for $20 or so and learn to get all the settings right before having a camera with the luxury of Av and Tv.

For full auto shots, the K10D has the green mode. Then when you want to expose correctly on M mode, there's the green button. And TAv mode is another great mode even for learners.

With all the problems the K10D may have, the proof's in the pudding...

Last edited by Ash; 06-20-2009 at 12:11 AM.
04-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #35

Original Poster
Its Here!

Well, I just wanted to thank everyone again. The camera arrived from Abes of Maine yesterday. UPS ground got it to me overnight (From NJ to Mass). I was very pleased with Abes. This is not a gray market product. It is a brand new unit with all original packaging and a US Warranty. For people who arent comfortable with the Abes call back, do what I did, dont bother placing the order online at all. Just pick up the phone and call. I was very pleased.

Now I have this 10D and no idea what to do with it I guess I have to do more reading... Does anyone have any recomendations as to what settings are required to sharpen the JPEGS (that was the only complaint I heard about the camera) and also, which RAW format is prefered?
04-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gcap74 Quote
Now I have this 10D and no idea what to do with it I guess I have to do more reading... Does anyone have any recomendations as to what settings are required to sharpen the JPEGS (that was the only complaint I heard about the camera) and also, which RAW format is prefered?
Grats on the new camera. And my tip is to turn JPG off and never look back. I use DNG, mainly because its an open format and works with alot of applications out of the box. And because I don't feel like converting at all. But it's up to you, if you are going to use the Pentax software for RAW converting, then you might aswell use PEF.

I have shot 3 JPG's with my K10D and frankly I see no reason what so ever to use it, unless you went berserk and bought a 32mb memory card .
04-09-2008, 07:39 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Yeah, JPEG shooting sucks.

Unfortunately, until my 2x 2GB SD cards some in (holy CRAP USPS is slow), I'm stuck with a slow as hell 512MB SD card...so most of my shooting is done in JPEG, with RAW+ for the good shots.

And yeah, I use DNG also. I couldn't get a handle on how to use Pentax software...that stuff isn't very user friendly IMO -- Photoshop yay.
04-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Here you go.
100% crop DNG and JPEG comparison, shot yesterday evening when a friend asked me about it aswell.

DNG top one ofcourse. And the colours are correct on the DNG and ugly on the JPG.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Tests show you'll be able to pull considerably more detail out of a RAW image than jpg on the k10d. It tend to process JPGs pretty soft in camera. Plus raw has alot of other advantages. Just buy a big card. At least they are cheap enough not to really worry about it anymore.
04-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Dude... I dont even know what hasidim is... I am guessing is some kinda of religion? Maybe jewish? I have no idea what you talking about... but I thought weird that both biggest photo stores in NYC are closed on saturday...

Wikipedia ROCKS!
For BBear,

Wikepedia does rock.

Dude, use it to learn about Hasidism.

We're speaking of the holiday of Passover. Jews of all traditions observe it some way. The more orthodox the view, the more likely that they will avoid business, or any type of work, on the Sabbath and holidays. Look it up - it's fascinating.
04-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #41

Ash said " Quote:
Originally Posted by roro
Personnally , I found numerous threads about the k10d having to be sent in for servicing, a little disturbing. I know the K200d is new, but so far no reports of duds. Also, the autofocus problems , along with all the other issues like jpeg quality, high iso performance ,and WB has been fixed. Boils down to personnal preferance. If your not a so called "pro", or close to it, a K10d will not help your skills any. If you need help with the "aperatre triangle" , a k200d will definately help you out, untill you figure things out. By then , you can pick up a K40d or whatever the new "PRO" model is, and therby crown yourself a PRO !

If someone's learning to manage the exposure triangle, the K200D is no better than the K10D. Having M, Av and Tv modes on a camera is all that's really needed to master this - in fact I'd advise anyone just learning exposure to pick up a fully manual film SLR for $20 or so and learn to get all the settings right before having a camera with the luxury of Av and Tv.

For full auto shots, the K10D has the green mode. Then when you want to expose correctly on M mode, there's the green button. And TAv mode is another great mode even for learners.

With all the problems the K10D may have, the proof's in the pudding "

Telling some to pick up a film camera to learn aperature ,is going to cost hundreds in film and processing. Not too bright of an idea,considering what they're looking to buy. You're obviously not familiar with the k200d, and all the differant modes. For someone who doesn't understand ,or is just learning aperature and lighting conditions, the modes of the k10d pale in comparison,condidering the k200d has just about every mode the k10d has,plus a dozen more options. The biggest mistakes all the wanna-be so called "pro's " who jumped on the k10d wagon, is not with the camera , it's the putting down of other models. The k10/20d is not geared towards the point and shoot graduate,or a novice with limited dslr/slr expierience. The K200d is . Your so called proof is baseless.
04-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #42
Pentaxian

K10D $659, Body only:

Pentax K-10D 10.2 MEGAPIXEL, 2.5 INCH LCD, SR SHAKE REDUCTION DIGITAL SLR CAMERA BODY, Pentax K10D, 19091

Bought mine from them 15 months ago, they were excellent>
04-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #43
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Guess that's your opinion roro.

I gave mine in saying it's great to learn exposure with a manual camera first because it REALLY helped me learn how to choose what settings to get the effect I wanted, and not just take a whole heap of pictures with different settings in the hope that one would work out. Judicious photo taking on film is hardly an expensive exercise when you have a cheap SLR and fast 50 combo.

You spend less than $50, and perhaps $15 per roll+processing, and you can truly say the results you get are your own work (not the camera's). How much do you need to spend to get an entry level dSLR plus kit lens? You'll get about 1200 film exposures processed for the price of getting a dSLR (broad generalisation, but you get the idea). Again, I say, it's my opinion, and I'm not saying it's the only way to go.

I have never called myself a pro, nor will I ever be in photography - I hazard a guess that many K10D owners are pros, but that doesn't make me feel any better about my camera. I still believe, though, that the K10D has at least all the features necessary to learn the essentials. The K200D is fine too... after all, it's a Pentax...

Last edited by Ash; 04-09-2008 at 02:58 PM.
04-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #44
Inactive Account

My First Test Shot (k200d)

My first shot with my k200d, it's nothing special (weather has been cloudy since I got it) but it gave me a chance to try out the macro mode in auto focus and heavily cropping an image from it, "Come on sun, I'm waiting for ya". Might be too saturated with color for some.

Barry