Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adorama/B&H Closed Saturdays

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
More inputs on the subejct, please?

Adorama and B&H are closed saturday (not sure why) and I have to wait till tomorrow to head down to the city and pick up my new camera.

The Hasidim do not work from Friday evening to Saturday evening. They even close the order window on their website from dusk to dusk.

04-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #17
Inactive Account

AAs Was The Deal Breaker For Me

I don't know why Pentax didn't configure the battery compartment on the K10/20 like they did the 100 and 200 Kds. It's nice to have a choice. I love my Eveloops, they don't lose power just sitting in the camera...and I can go anywhere and get alkalines for back-up, even at 2am in the morning.

Barry
04-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The Hasidim do not work from Friday evening to Saturday evening. They even close the order window on their website from dusk to dusk.
Dude... I dont even know what hasidim is... I am guessing is some kinda of religion? Maybe jewish? I have no idea what you talking about... but I thought weird that both biggest photo stores in NYC are closed on saturday...

QuoteQuote:
The word Hasid was frequently used as a term of exceptional respect in the Talmudic and early medieval periods. In the aggregate, it may refer to members of any of the following Jewish movements:

Hasidic Judaism, a Russian-Polish movement from the modern period onwards
Hasidæans, pietists or "Jewish Puritans" of the Maccabean period
Chassidei Ashkenaz, a German pietistic movement of the 12th and 13th centuries

Wikipedia ROCKS!

Last edited by BBear; 04-05-2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: wikipedia
04-05-2008, 01:02 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice

Well, thanks everyone for all the answers... I THINK at this point I am going to get the K10D. I want to go with my gut. The K10D was the camera I wanted, and if I had had the money a month ago would have bought from B+H when it was $715. Now they are out of stock I've been talking myself into the K200D, but I think that the K10D is a camera I can grow into, not out of.

Now the question is where to buy it....

Bestbuy has it for $737, but they are also going to chagre me tax.

Abes of Maine has it for $726. I've heard they can be annoying, but once I get past the sales call are fine.

Roberts Imaging has it for $715 with shipping. I've heard a few people here and there buy from them, but cant seem to find a ton of information on them. Does anyone know if they are reputable?

04-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #20
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

gcap, if money's an issue, get your K10D from someone on this forum for around $500. (Sorry if I sound like a broken record about this, but it's a significant saving for those thinking about the K10D vs K200D issue). The savings will help you get better lenses...

I've not regretted going K10D rather than K200D, and don't think you will either.
Stick with your decision and don't think "what if I'd gotten that K200D?"
Learn to master the K10D and it will give you consistently great results.
K200D's a good upgrade from the K100D, but IMO K10D's still a winner.
04-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Noisychip Quote
...The main differences coming from this target group aspect are in my opinion:

- size and weight: K200d has to compare well against prosumer compacts, K10d against pro-level DSLRs. So it's solid vs. light weight.
- Metal chassis vs. full plastic body (not absolutely sure about this for K200d)
- Pentaprism vs. pentamirror viewfinder
I hate to go off topic here but in the second point above you 'state' that the K10D has a metal chassis and the K200D does not (IT DOES!). Though you're not exactly sure so you took it as one point to go and buy the K10D instead.

I personally chose the K200D over the K10D. I'm certainly not telling people what to buy. I've just seen too many comparisons in this forum over these 2 cameras where people state a con of the K200D that's either not true or they're not sure about. Do your reading is all I can say.
04-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gcap74 Quote

Roberts Imaging has it for $715 with shipping. I've heard a few people here and there buy from them, but cant seem to find a ton of information on them. Does anyone know if they are reputable?

I bought my 77ltd silver from them. No problems, everything was perfect when I got it. Did take about 12 days to get to me from Canada, though.

04-06-2008, 02:18 AM   #23
ogl
Banned

K200D has better image processor than K10D.
See my thread here
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/22835-k200d-more-than-...ifference.html

The main difference vs К10D

- less weight and smaller dimension
- buffer 4 RAW vs 9 RAW (K10D)
- no TAv, user mode, 1 e-dial
- LCD 2.7" 230 000 dots
- power 4хАА
- penta-mirror 96% field of view and an approximately 0.85-times magnification.
- better NEW 14 bit PRIME
- sensor is put in SR rails hardly
- better jpeg
- Dynamic Range Enlargement
- Eight digital filters
- adjustable RAW button
- 6 types of IMAGE TONE (natural, bright, portrait, landscape, vibrant, monochrome)
- pixel mapping
- guide number of buil-in flash 13 vs 11 (K10D)

I've bought K200D. I will get it in several days.
I think that simplier camera is better for me. It's my choice.
04-06-2008, 02:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

K10D is a greatchoce pointed ut you cancustize iIfound thi VERY handy and have everything at my fingertips, one thing you will want to do is make the front dial exposure correction this was you can ajust instantly
04-06-2008, 07:22 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Translation please?

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
K10D is a greatchoce pointed ut you cancustize iIfound thi VERY handy and have everything at my fingertips, one thing you will want to do is make the front dial exposure correction this was you can ajust instantly
04-06-2008, 07:58 AM   #26

Personnally , I found numerous threads about the k10d having to be sent in for servicing, a little disturbing. I know the K200d is new, but so far no reports of duds. Also, the autofocus problems , along with all the other issues like jpeg quality, high iso performance ,and WB has been fixed. Boils down to personnal preferance. If your not a so called "pro", or close to it, a K10d will not help your skills any. If you need help with the "aperatre triangle" , a k200d will definately help you out, untill you figure things out. By then , you can pick up a K40d or whatever the new "PRO" model is, and therby crown yourself a PRO !

Last edited by roro; 04-06-2008 at 08:04 AM.
04-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Translation please?
yikes what the hell happened there
04-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Go with the K10D. When you upgrade to K20D youll be able to use the same stuff for it (batterygrip comes to mind), and you are already used to it when you get it.
04-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #29

Original Poster
Decision has been made

Thank you all for your well thought out comments! I think I have finally made up my mind... I am going to go with the K10D. Here are my reasons.

1) The K10D seems like a camera I can grow into. I really see the benefit of having more controls at my fingertips.

2) Personally I like a camera with a little more bulk to it.

3) While the potential image enhancements are nice on the K200D, the ability to learn to use the K10D as a photographic tool seem like a bigger deal to me. I was ready to buy the K10D in December, but lacked the funds.... I would have been happy then, I'll be happy with the quality now.

4) The viewfinder. I really want the biggest, brightest viewfinder I can find.... I struggle with composition, so i think this will help me.

Well, I've decided to give Robert's Imaging a try... calling them now!
04-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #30

Original Poster
Its Done!

Ok, well Robert's Imaging wasnt there on Sunday, so I called Abes of Maine. I figured I could handle the high pressure upsells and just do what I had to do... I decided to call rather than submit online so that I would avoid the call back. The upselling wasnt bad, except for the guy trying to tell me that the K10D battery only lasts 30 minutes... The other things he offered, UV filter, high speed card waranty seemed like reasonable things to offer and the prices weren't silly. I didnt BUY them, but i didnt feel cheap and dirty either. I verified that it is NOT a grey market product and has the USA Warranty....

So its done! Should be coming this week.... I am so excited

Thanks everyone for your help!