Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #1

Final decision - K10D vs K200D

Ok, I have finally gotten my tax refund and I will be making my purchase by the end of the day today.... Still beating my head against a wall about the K10D vs the K200D. I've tried to weigh the pros and cons of each, and it seems that its not a clear cut decision. Either way there are things that I will lose. I'm a new photographer... I have learned a fair amount by reading like crazy and experimenting with an old Canon T70 and Pentax K1000. So in a way, I'm not even sure which of the features are more important to me at this point. Here is how I see the breakdown:

K10D advantages:

Bigger viewfinder
Dual dials
More button controls
More shooting modes (TAv)
Better buffer (not sure about this one)

K200D advantages:

Newer kit lens (supposed to be sharper)
Possibly improved IQ (I PLAN on shooting mostly RAW, will this even matter?)
Available from better resellers
Better High ISO performance
Improved Shake Reduction
Improved Dynamic Range (Honestly, I dont even know what this means)
bigger LCD

So I guess the question is this... It seems to me that the 200D should give me slightly better IQ and a better lens... Do the features of the K10D override this? I dont mind using the meuns for some things. One of the things I would like to control is the light metering. I tend to take a lot of sunset shots and I've found that spot metering has helped me with this. I notice that the K10D has a dial for light metering, but does the K200D at least have the ability to use different meterings?

One thing I am thinking is that if I get the K200D it will probably have a higher resale value later on given that its newer. Therefore, I could probably use the K200D now to learn and perhaps trade up to a K20D or maybe the K30D or whatever the next generation is in a couple of years. My thought is that the K10D would be older and thus less valuable down the road...

So basically I am completely confused... I want to do this today... Please help!

04-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

a lot of buyers have the same problem as you! perhaps if you review some of the prior forum postings, you can find lots of different opinions on this subject.

K200D does have different meterings but you have to go into the menu to access them i believe.
i would also say the K200D uses AA batteries which to me are a plus
04-05-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well first (only my opinions) I wouldn't make the decision based on the kit lens. I've tried it and it's very good (better than the first version) but if you really get into this hobby, you'll quickly tire of it (too slow and not as sharp as comparable FL range zooms/primes. So I'd remove that from the list as a deciding factor. If you get a kit lens then that's a plus.

Second the resell value is not a good determinant on a camera body. The *istD was $1299 when new and it's basically the K10D Jr. Today you can find them for $250 in EX+ condition. Bodies will not hold value no matter what model you have. Just a fact of life.

So it comes down to the camera itself. K200D IQ does matter but there have been very few reviews of the difference between this camera and the K10D which uses the same sensor.

The K10D is the more "pro" design and that concerns some new users. IMO it's actually easier to use. The most important thing about a body, once the IQ is considered, is how easy you can use it on the fly. A camera needs to be a tool that you don't have to think about. Like an extension of your vision.

The controls on the K10D are simple and straightforward once you learn the layout. It's much more customizable. So you set it up to suit your shooting style and then it becomes a camera that you can pick up and use without thinking. That's what I think is the most critical. If I am shooting and have to stop and remember how to do something, the opportunity could be lost.

The K200D is probably a great unit but the controls are still (like the K100D's before it) more cumbersome. More menu driven. I only want to fiddle with the menus at home, not when I'm shooting.

Difference in shake reduction is there but not enough to make me choose the 200D. I've shot good stuff at 1/8th with the 10D

Dynamic range is the latitude difference or range the sensor can pick up. Our eyes can capture a dynamic range about 4 to 5 times that of a camera (differences in colours and contrast as well as dark to light areas). The K200D may be improved and this could be a consideration. It makes a difference in a scene when the sky is bright and the ground is dark. A better dynamic range will expose both parts of the scene better.

The LCD is a nice touch but the K10D is very good as it is and like most it's not great in direct sunlight.

Guess which one I vote for?
04-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
More inputs on the subejct, please?

Adorama and B&H are closed saturday (not sure why) and I have to wait till tomorrow to head down to the city and pick up my new camera. Sometimes I lean torwards the K10d and other to the K200D.

I had decided to head to the store and hold both cameras side-by-side and then pick one. One thing i want to check on is the pentaprism x pentamirror as well as how i feel holding each body.

Another thing that could piss me off is the fact that I have the impression either store DOES NOT offer the K200D with the 2nd Gen Kit lens..

04-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The viewfinder is a HUGE difference to me. I have a K110D, and now a K10D, Night and day difference (literally). The K10D is MUCH brighter, AND bigger too. Plus, you can grow into a K10D, it has a learning curve, but it is fun to learn The K200, if it is just a K100D on steroids as I have read, will be easier to "grow out of" And you can probably find the K10 for less $.
04-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
And you can probably find the K10 for less $.

On the stores I've been checking they are exactly the same price. If the K10D was a bit cheaper that would help my decision
04-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The viewfinder is a HUGE difference to me. The K10D is MUCH brighter, AND bigger too.

I read few posts with the same opnion, and I want to check this out tomorrow.

04-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
I read few posts with the same opnion, and I want to check this out tomorrow.

Selling my k100d and getting the k200d next weel, I still don't know if it's got an illuminated LCD panel on the top of the camera like the k10, brochure doesn't mention it. I could use it because I plan to use the cam in darker situations. I agree the AAs are a plus for me too. The k100d is a great 6mp cam but I love tons of detail and the dust revoval system is an added plus.

Barry

04-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Best Buy has the K10D on SALE for $737 ending today

I hate to order without holding it, but I had to do it. Worse case, it is free shipping and I could always return it if required without costing me much.
04-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Congrats, we are all waiting to see your photos !!!
04-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #11
Inactive Account

GCAP74, I'm probably the same boat with you, as far as skill -- I learned a lot by reading for about 2 weeks and experimenting in full manual mode with my old point and shoot.

-------

I recently got the K200D (like - yesterday) and love it -- Great camera, my first DSLR.
Here are some random thoughts that maybe will help you.

Burst mode -- Yes, burst mode on the K200 is wimpy. If you're not shooting high action all the time, though, you shouldn't miss it. I don't. I'm sure if I intentionally look for high action (local hockey games) I'll regret a slow FPS/burst, but for right now I don't (I usually do still life, portrait, landscape).

Shutterpuppy - The LCD is NOT illuminated on the K200.

Camera Controls - This is where the K10 is going to have a leg up on the K200, if your shooting demands it..

I've never used the K10D, but I know right now having a 2nd e-dial would be really useful. The K200 gets around this by either using a Fn menu system (which is laid out fairly efficiently) or by using the e-dial + a button.

For instance, in Manual -- E-dial controls shutter speed. Hold down the +/- AV button and Edial for Aperature. Changing ISO, unfortunately, takes the Fn command menu to do.

It's not really cumbersome, but if you have some fast-changing shooting conditions you're going to wish you probably had the K10D.

--------

For me, the choice was pretty easy -- I got the K200 w/kit lens for as much as only a K10D, it's got "newer innards", it's still sealed, still has dust removal and dust mapping, etc.

I'm not sure how much the viewfinders differ, as I've never looked through a K10, but the K200 to me is just fine. The loss of burst/FPS performance and dials didn't matter too much to me.
04-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Hey Bear

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Best Buy has the K10D on SALE for $737 ending today

I hate to order without holding it, but I had to do it. Worse case, it is free shipping and I could always return it if required without costing me much.
Bear,
The last couple of cameras I've owned came from an online source, I know the feel of the k200d will be the same as the k100d so no worries there. My ordering this time came from Amazon, Best Buy charges sales tax which swayed me away from them. Being into photography for 35 years and finally getting into digital, I keep asking myself, why oh why did I ever buy bridgecams when Pentax DSLRS are almost in the same ballpark (price wise) and much more flexible and the quality is second to none?

Barry
04-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Thanks Cputeq

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
GCAP74,
Shutterpuppy - The LCD is NOT illuminated on the K200.
I guess I'll have to keep my penlight to see the settings, no big deal, I still like Raw mode ON the camera instead of in the menu setting..now hurry up and show us some test shots of the k200d in action (macro?) at full 10MP setting if this forum can handle the file size. LOL

Barry
04-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Congrats, we are all waiting to see your photos !!!
I should be receiving it before friday... spring time in NYC is great for shooting.. so yeah... hopefully i'll have some noce photos soon!
04-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #15

I've just bought my K10d, so I know the inner struggles

The K10d is a more advanced camera while the K200d is more or less at entry level. This does certainly not mean that it's worse, but it's different. The main differences coming from this target group aspect are in my opinion:

- size and weight: K200d has to compare well against prosumer compacts, K10d against pro-level DSLRs. So it's solid vs. light weight.
- Metal chassis vs. full plastic body (not absolutely sure about this for K200d)
- Pentaprism vs. pentamirror viewfinder

I made my final decision based on a feature comparison and their individual importance to me (did not include K200d at all). The resulting score was clear: K10d simply won over all others for me.

I wouldn't worry about the kit lens. I have the old version and it's absolutely fine. You'll soon end up buying a faster lens anyway, since both versions of this lens have 3.5-5.6 max. aperture.

One further thing that came to my mind was that a product, that has been on the market for a while is far better tested and the biggest bugs have been fixed. Think of the brandnew C*n*n top model 1D* and certain auto focus issues ... (only read about this). K10d is at the end of its lifecycle, which means 'more camera for less money', less child illnesses and more community knowledge.

Last, for K10d there is a hack to correct front and back focussing, from which quite a few lenses seem to suffer (mine don't). There's no hack for K200 today. I wanted at least to have the possibility to do anything against wrong AF.