Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #1

K3 with Metz flash

Had the K3 for just a few days now and i'm impressed, AF quicker than K5, quickly got accustomed to new AFC/AFS, etc. Tested the Metz 44 AF-1 and found the exposure to be spot on, unlike my K5 where i continuously had it compensated 1.5 stops due to over-exposure. When shooting a scene with an abundance of bright or dark content the compensation needed is predictable and more importantly consistent.
I use AVmode mostly and notice on the K3 that the flash compensation allows 1stop over & 2stops under? Instead of using the flash compensation from the lower selector button, i use the normal exposure compensation which allows 5 stops either way. The iso value will normally change when compensating if in auto but when a value is entered manually, the 5 stops of compensation can be used which is controlled by the flash output (in playback the exposure values -shutter & iso can be confirmed)
When it's so easy to compensate using the iso button and get a huge range of comp, why would i want to use the flash comp procedure? Am i missing something, i'd like to read any thoughts that anyone has.
The OK button appears to be the same as the K5 but i struggle to operate it without pressing any of the surrounding buttons, doesn't help having big mitts! I very rarely managed to get the SD card out of the K5 without using some small tweezers i carry around, but hey, by using the No.2 slot on the K3 -easy.
I would like to disable the AE-L button as i also press this without intention, but when you get so much in a compact package i'll put up with these minor problems.
Delighted with the new toy, still reading the manual and awaiting the battery grip.

Attached Images

12-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Exposure compensation in Av mode efects ambient light by changing exposure time. If u use flash it also control flash exposure yes both it affect picture total exposure. In Av mode if u put -5 exposure compensation to make background underexposure then u should put flash exposure compensation around +4 if u want to have about ok exposure...but with pentax body u can not cos flash expsure compensation is too limited. With canon camera exposure compensation and flash exposure compensation work separately as they should do if u ask me. So in canon u could put exposure compensation -5 to get dark dramatic pic and flash exposure would be about same still...nice and logical.
12-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment Joojoo. Yes in AV, flash on, with a set aperture and iso manually set, the camera will reduce the shutter speed down to a minimum for the lens in use and the rest of the compensation will be performed by the flash.
If the exposure was correct with the above settings, there should be 5 stops of compensation available, performed by the flash duration using the exposure buttons on the camera.
If i use flash sync (180) and set aperture & iso for a correct exposure, then again 5 stops should be available performed by the flash duration. Does this sound correct?
I agree it does sound logical that altering the flash duration should not change any other exposure values on the camera, i suppose the priority is to maintain a correct exposure within the constraints of the lens/shutter speed and then control exposure solely by the flash output.