Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #16
Pentaxian

The NEX-7 had three wheels, one of which could be set to control ISO, IIRC. In some long-forgotten thread, I mourned the lack of a third wheel, but it may just complicate things. There are multiple cameras out there now with dual wheels along with a dedicated EV comp dial, which is a nice solution. Oly's 2x2 control system sounds like a very flexible and customizable setup.

All that said, the K-7/5/3 style setup is hard to fault. One of the reasons I had a hard time adapting to the single-dial K-01. (Not panning the K-01--awesome camera. I just had a hard time personally going back and forth between its controls and my K-7. If it were my only body, I'm sure I would have loved it.)

12-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pulled out my K-30 to try it.... It is definitely in the viewfinder. But the process is painful.

If like me you use selectible focus points you need to hold the ok button to deselect this > press ISO button > turn rear wheel > Press OK > Hold OK to go back to focus points

Yes that can be done with your eye to the viewfinder, but for the time it takes to do that it is easier to not look through it. As for the K-3 you press ISO and turn wheel...done. Heaps simpler and quicker.
12-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
The NEX-7 had three wheels, one of which could be set to control ISO, IIRC. In some long-forgotten thread, I mourned the lack of a third wheel, but it may just complicate things. There are multiple cameras out there now with dual wheels along with a dedicated EV comp dial, which is a nice solution. Oly's 2x2 control system sounds like a very flexible and customizable setup.

All that said, the K-7/5/3 style setup is hard to fault. One of the reasons I had a hard time adapting to the single-dial K-01. (Not panning the K-01--awesome camera. I just had a hard time personally going back and forth between its controls and my K-7. If it were my only body, I'm sure I would have loved it.)
I admit, one big flaw on the k-01 being a single dial camera was that it had TAv mode. I couldn't use exposure compensation in TAv mode because the button was assigned to switching between shutter speed and aperture. Unless I am missing something, it made TAv mode quite difficult to use on the k-01.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Pulled out my K-30 to try it.... It is definitely in the viewfinder. But the process is painful.

If like me you use selectable focus points you need to hold the ok button to deselct this > press ISO button > turn rear wheel > Press OK > Hold OK to go back to focus points

Yes that can be done with your eye to the viewfinder, but for the time it takes to do that it is easier to not look through it. As for the K-3 you press ISO and turn wheel...done. Heaps simpler and quicker.
It does make it difficult with the selectable focus points. I never noticed because I always use center point. Just wanted to point out that it isn't as difficult as one would imagine - especially if you've used a CaNikon without any iso buttons...
12-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Me, Too!

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I'm not so sure - because I don't have a k-30 - but on my k-x, pressing ISO shows the ISO in the viewfinder. I can then use the rear wheel or the right/left button to change the ISO. I would be extremely surprised if this isn't true on the k-30... as the k-x is the bare basics camera from Pentax.
I'd be surprised, also. Maybe one of our K-30 users can confirm this, but I'd bet pressing the ISO button on the circle dial and moving the rear wheel changes the ISO, as well as displaying it in the viewfinder.
Perhaps as a function of camera cost, the top-deck design is different on the mid/lower-priced bodies, from the flagship bodies. The K-x, K-r, K-30, K-50 and K-500 all have the mode dial moved to the right side, greatly reducing the space for function-specific buttons like ISO, EV, AE-L, Green button, etc.
With the mode dial on the left side (K10D, K-7, K-5-series, K-3), there's more room for the hard buttons on the right, hence a dedicated ISO button.
To the OP, try this and let us know!
Ron

12-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I've been the third wheel a few times.

It's never welcome...
/applaud. Thanks for the laugh.
12-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
Are you saying that you have to use the menu to change the ISO on the K-30?
I don't have a K-30, but on my K-50,
you can set a wheel to change ISO.
So when I'm in my usual Av mode,
I change the aperture with the rear wheel,
and the ISO with the fromt wheel.

Who needs three wheels?

12-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
I'd be surprised, also. Maybe one of our K-30 users can confirm this
A press of the ISO button tuns the rear wheel into an ISO adjusting wheel. a half push of the shutter button , or OK button returns it to Av adjuster. At least in Av and TAv modes. You can use the right and left buttons in place of the wheel also. The later is the way I usually prefer
12-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
A press of the ISO button tuns the rear wheel into an ISO adjusting wheel. a half push of the shutter button
Well you just made my weekend!
In manual you can keep the camera on your face, press ISO (if I can keep my nose out of the way) and the rear wheel lets you adjust the ISO than a half press of the shutter release button turns the rear wheel back to aperture adjustment. Although I'd still like a third wheel, this is much easier (and quicker) than pulling the camera off my face and making the adjustment on the screen and than bringing it back up.

12-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster

It's never welcome...
Very funny!
12-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
Site Supporter

There was one in 1988. It was also solar-powered :-)

12-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #26
Veteran Member

On the K-30 you press the ISO button and can then adjust the ISO by turning the either the front wheel or the back wheel (both function the same).

Pressing it again changes between auto and manual ISO,

In Auto ISO the front wheel changes the minimum ISO while the rear one changes the maximum.

The one thing which I prefer on the K-3 (apart from the better position of the button) is that you can press and hold the ISO button and then once you have turned the wheel to adjust the ISO then letting go of the button reverts the control wheels to their original function whereas on the K-30 you need to half-press the shutter button to revert the wheel functions back to their original function.

Last edited by lister6520; 12-08-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: correct mistake
12-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

It's never welcome...
Let alone being a fifth wheel!
12-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote

Dan
"With the K10D and K20D you hold down the OK button (in the center of the 4-way controller) and spin the front dial to change the ISO." Thanks for that tip. I never knew that about my K20D, and I don't believe I ever came across it in the manual.
12-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #29
Forum Member

I like the 3 wheeler concept. I recently posted something along those lines suggesting the mode dial concept be shelved in favor of 3 wheel/dials in an effort to simplify the interface. I think a 3 wheel interface would work quite nicely especially with 2 features. "push dials" so pushing the dial acts as a green button for that control only, and for the wheels to be customizable, Such that I could have Av,Tv,ISO and someone else might chose Av,Tv, it would be logistically challenging to allow the third wheel to be a mode dial for those that use it, so probably it would have to remain a seperate control. The N!kon Df shows what happens when these control schemes are taken to extremes though I would guess in actual use of the DF you have the controls that you prefer and others are just left unused.
12-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
Site Supporter

I would not want a third wheel to manipulate, especially with my left hand. My left hand is used to stabilize the camera/lens. Two wheels is more than enough.