Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Will there ever be a three wheeled Pentax?

One of the many reasons I choose Pentax was for the dual wheels on my k-30. Being able to adjust shutter and aperture speed quickly is very important to me. That being said, why doesn't Pentax (or seemingly any other brand) make a camera with three wheels, the third allowing you to more easily adjust ISO more quickly than the menu? During a recent vacation, ducking in and out of ancient not well lit buildings, having an ISO wheel would have been useful.

12-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When you say menu, you mean via the ISO button, correct? Not actually diving into the menu to find the ISO button?
12-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wheels take up a ton of room in the body and small sells these days so they can't afford it.
I was under the impression that the ISO button on cameras newer than mine was either pressed or held down to turn one of the wheels temporarily into an ISO wheel. But I have no idea. If not that is the best use of space, buttons that temporarily change the function of the wheels.
12-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think its because ISO was traditionally (on film cameras) fixed by the medium. These days with digital, they allow you an auto-ISO range or a fixed value, so a wheel wouldn't work with this system, I guess.
What i would like to see instead of a wheel is a slider where you slide two bits and the space between them is the ISO range. But I am not sure that could be implemented without hassle, either. Such changes require major redesign of the camera

12-08-2013, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

Who needs 3rd wheel?

Front wheel for shutter speed, rear for aperture and ISO.
12-08-2013, 08:07 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been the third wheel a few times.

It's never welcome...
12-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Admittedly I wouldn't mind a third wheel - if only to perform as ISO or exposure compensation. In auto-iso mode, it becomes exposure compensation. In normal mode, it is either ISO or exposure comp via toggle button select. As for location, dunno - could be on top above the standard rear wheel like how several of the mirrorless cams do their exposure comp dial.

12-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
Dan
Pentaxian

Say what?!?

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
One of the many reasons I choose Pentax was for the dual wheels on my K-30. Being able to adjust shutter and aperture speed quickly is very important to me. That being said, why doesn't Pentax (or seemingly any other brand) make a camera with three wheels, the third allowing you to more easily adjust ISO more quickly than the menu? During a recent vacation, ducking in and out of ancient not well lit buildings, having an ISO wheel would have been useful.
Are you saying that you have to use the menu to change the ISO on the K-30? If so, that's really bad!! Ever since the K10D, the higher-end Pentax bodies have allowed you to change the ISO without moving your eye from the viewfinder. With the K10D and K20D you hold down the OK button (in the center of the 4-way controller) and spin the front dial to change the ISO. The ISO is displayed in the viewfinder, and on the top screen. With the K-3 you press the ISO button (which is just behind shutter release button) and spin the rear dial. Again, the ISO is displayed in the viewfinder. It should never be necessary to move your eye from the viewfinder to change the ISO setting.

I find it hard to believe that Pentax makes a camera that requires you to go into the menu to change the ISO setting. Perhaps they remove that functionality with lower-end bodies so as to create another reason to buy the higher-end cameras, but they shouldn't do this with something as basic as the ISO setting. This seems unlike Pentax.

Dan
12-08-2013, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Admittedly I wouldn't mind a third wheel - if only to perform as ISO or exposure compensation. In auto-iso mode, it becomes exposure compensation. In normal mode, it is either ISO or exposure comp via toggle button select. As for location, dunno - could be on top above the standard rear wheel like how several of the mirrorless cams do their exposure comp dial.
But is it really necessary? When there is ISO and EXP. comp. buttons, that IMO are very well placed?
12-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
When you say menu, you mean via the ISO button, correct? Not actually diving into the menu to find the ISO button?
No... Newtophotos means the menu. The K-30 does not have an ISO button.

And the answer is the higher spec camera have a solution for this. There is an ISO button (just behind shutter button on K-3 not sure on K-5) and when you press it and simultaneously turn the back wheel you can change the ISO or press ISO button and the green button turn ISO to auto (if supported in that mode). These extra ergonomic functions are why you pay more for the camera. Other handy additions are a exposure metering button and exposure lock button
12-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
No... Newtophotos means the menu. The K-30 does not have an ISO button.

And the answer is the higher spec camera have a solution for this. There is an ISO button (just behind shutter button on K-3 not sure on K-5) and when you press it and simultaneously turn the back wheel you can change the ISO or press ISO button and the green button turn ISO to auto (if supported in that mode). These extra ergonomic functions are why you pay more for the camera. Other handy additions are a exposure metering button and exposure lock button

...? No ISO button?

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
But is it really necessary? When there is ISO and EXP. comp. buttons, that IMO are very well placed?
Not necessary, but it's something that I would like. Just a personal preference, that's all.
12-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Oops.... That's right. I forget these things quickly huh? Still it doesn't work the same. You press it, the screen changes and then you change your ISO. My K-3 is much much quicker. But personally I rarely have a need to change ISO in a hurry. That is usually one of the first thoughts I have in my mind when preparing my shot.
12-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You don't need to look at the screen, if it's anything like my k-x (which it should be...). You press it, you can change it in your viewfinder. It shows the ISO - no need to take the eyes away to look at the LCD.

Not really taking away from the k-5/k-3 ISO implementation - I do prefer that. It's just that Pentax wasn't slouches when designing for their lower end cameras. So much easier to use than say - CaNikon...
12-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Dan
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Oops.... That's right. I forget these things quickly huh? Still it doesn't work the same. You press it, the screen changes and then you change your ISO. My K-3 is much much quicker. ...
It's not just a question of it being quicker. As I understand it, with the K-30 the ISO is only displayed on the rear screen--not in the viewfinder. So you have to move your eye from the viewfinder. I would find that a bit annoying, and not just because it takes longer. On the other hand it doesn't seem as bad as I thought, based on some of the comments. Having a dedicated button that brings up the ISO settings is better than having to go into the menus.

EDIT: Whoops, I just saw JinDesu's post! Apparently you do NOT have to move your eye from the viewfinder, assuming the K-30 works the same as the K-x. Can anyone confirm?

Dan
12-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
It's not just a question of it being quicker. As I understand it, with the K-30 the ISO is only displayed on the rear screen--not in the viewfinder. So you have to move your eye from the viewfinder. I would find that a bit annoying, and not just because it takes longer. On the other hand it doesn't seem as bad as I thought, based on some of the comments. Having a dedicated button that brings up the ISO settings is better than having to go into the menus.

Dan
I'm not so sure - because I don't have a k-30 - but on my k-x, pressing ISO shows the ISO in the viewfinder. I can then use the rear wheel or the right/left button to change the ISO. I would be extremely surprised if this isn't true on the k-30... as the k-x is the bare basics camera from Pentax.