Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Grant, I've just gone from istDs to K20D and am VERY happy. But I do different stuff to you obviously, I love photographing sport and have just become a local rugby club's "official" photographer. The faster focus and response of the K20D is like night and day, and the ability to crop a 14.6mp shot down to 6mp, if need be, is wonderful. But for landscapes? Probly not necessary, although you guys have some pretty large landscapes over there! Sounds to me like a top class wide angle lens is the way to go.

04-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
I've placed the 12-24 on my LBA list; the DA 14 is pretty nice, but its FL is not flexible enough for my needs at the wide end.
You won't regret buying this lens. It is very, very good.
04-07-2008, 03:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Thank you one and all for your input. Much appreciated.

It (the answer) is actually quite obvious when you step back from the orignal question.....thanks for helping me see that.

Now....Da 14mm or 12 -24?
Cheers
Grant
Hi Grant

It depends what you are shooting. If you are shooting any architecture or interior shots, get one with lowest distortion. I was just doing a real estate shoot for my brother who is a real estate agent the other day. I used DA14/2.8 and FA20-35/4. Both are excellent lenses but shots coming out FA20-35 (especially at 20mm end) have got quite a bit of distortion in them! And some are quite difficult to get rid off, partly due to my poor PP skills.

cheers
Kenny
04-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #19

Glass, glass...
The new glass on the old body could probably make a lot more difference in your photos than the new body with the same old lenses.

Or so it has been shown to myself through experience and dumb purchases... (on my part) ;o)

cheers and good luck!

Last edited by DHCowboy; 04-07-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: made point clear that I was dumb, not someone else...
04-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Always buy lenses over bodies. Unless there is something you can't get with your given body (sports due to slow AF or small buffer) the lens will make far more difference.

I've gotten stunning 12-18 images from my 6mp K100d. The only reason I am considering an upgrade is for weather sealing. I was just on a snowshoe camping trip and my camera got covered in snow a few times from trees and me sliding into snowbanks. It works fine though so I probably won't upgrade till it dies.
04-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for the input.
...(and its a wet day again, so I'm office bound.... & a little bored ...with lots of time to think )
BUT...having checked prices and availability here in Australia, (which brings me back full circle to the question of why Pentax lenses are so damned expensive in Australia), I keep coming back to one in-escapable conclusion:

It's really not a question of Body OR Lens at all. My current kit has served me well, and can continue to do so.

But thats not really the point is it?

Technology moves on and improvements are constantly taking place.

So, if I am serious about all of this...and lets be SERIOUS...its not JUST a hobby, its far more than that!!!.....

......I think my next logical move is a Body AND Lens, which in my case should be a K200D and DA* 16-50.

now...if I print this off and leave it lying around where the good, gracious, understanding, beautiful, adorable wife will see it .....we'll just see what happens. :ugh:

Of course guys should this turn out to be my my 'last post' you can rest assured that I will have gone down fighting.

here goes nuthin......